Why become a member? ×

TRADED - Spector Euro 4LX
£800

Conan

I bought this bass in May this year, and while playing it has certainly been enjoyable - I'm just not sure that it suits me and/or the music I am currently involved in. Problem is that I sold a very good Jazz bass to fund its purchase - and I am now really wishing that I hadn't done that! :(

Made in 2005 in the Czech Republic (see post #8 below, and hence the "[i]Euro[/i]" bit!).
Body woods are Alder and Maple, with a Walnut layer in between (hence the "[i]LX[/i]" bit).
It has a 34" scale length.
The TonePump circuit does not have the trim pot facility.
Finish is "matte natural".
To people who know about Spectors, these details are important!

Overall condition is very good for an eight year old bass, but there are three small bits of damage/wear on the body that I have tried to show in the photos. All of these were there when I bought it.
There is some thumbnail wear above the P pickup, a small dent on the front and a few dents on the top horn next to the strap button. These are quite difficult to show on photos, but I want to be absolutely clear that they are there! The neck and headstock are immaculate.

Oh, I forgot to add... the knobs are from a Marshall combo!! I have the original Spector ones of course, and they will be supplied as well (or replaced if you don't like the new ones). I think the Marshall ones look rather good!

[attachment=145893:CIMG0176.JPG][attachment=145894:CIMG0191.JPG][attachment=145897:CIMG0184.JPG][attachment=145902:CIMG0177.JPG][attachment=145905:CIMG0209.JPG][attachment=145914:CIMG0204.JPG][attachment=145916:CIMG1605.JPG][attachment=145917:CIMG0187.JPG][attachment=145918:CIMG0194.JPG][attachment=145919:CIMG0195.JPG]

[url="http://www.spectorbass.com/Euro-NS-NT/Euro4LX.html"]http://www.spectorba...NT/Euro4LX.html[/url]

It is exceptionally easy to play (with a low, buzz-free action) and has a truly massive range of tones available, including passable (if unsubtle) imitations of both P and J basses. The TonePump circuit is very versatile and (although there is some[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/93320-spector-tonepump-is-not-boost-only/page__p__884498__hl__tone%20pump__fromsearch__1#entry884498"] debate[/url] as to whether it is boost-only or cut/boost) can produce thundering bass and sparkling, zingy top to add to the growly mid-range always present.

It comes with/in a Gator hard case, and I am happy to ship it in or outside of the UK (at buyer's expense of course).

I would prefer a cash sale, but I am fairly open-minded about possible trades for other basses (4 string preferred,and Jazz-type ideally!).
And if anyone is concerned about my buying/selling pedigree on Basschat, I have feedback[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/81215-feedback-for-geoff-aka-conan/page__hl__conan"] here[/url]...

Edited by Conan

Try a Mex Geddy. Not because I am flogging one, but because you may be surprised. They are lighter than any of the Japanese ones I had and the pups are just that bit snappier.
Have a look in Soundslive, they should have one.
Good luck with your trade/sale.
Bump.
Cheers,
Karl.

I've played this bass when its previous owner brought it to my house to try a cab I was selling, fantastic sound and plays beautifully I had this bass in mind when I got my Spector 5 :D The Spector Euro 4 lx is 34" scale and is Alder/Walnut/Maple :) BUMP!!

Serious, you only have a few days before you are back at work. Go into SoundsLive and try one, the weight difference and pups are worth it. Mind you, if you get a new one, get one from GAK, lot cheaper than Soundslive :o (and that's not Sunburst!) http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Fender_Geddy_Lee_Jazz_Bass/FEN-0257702906

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1377644891' post='2189956']
The Spector Euro 4 lx is 34" scale
[/quote]

Cheers for the bump!

BTW,[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/200941-any-love-for-spector-euro-lx/page__st__40"] this[/url] thread contains a bit more info about the bass, and Spectors in general.

Edited by Conan

It's not the lack of trimpot which makes a difference in whether it's a Euro LX or just the older Euro.... it is the sandwiching of woods.

If it has a walnut layer sandwiched between the top and back woods then it's an LX. If not it is the older Euro.....

Yours is definitely a Euro LX model, I remember comparing this to the Warwick streamer stage 1 and Warwick jazzman I had at the time and I preferred the Spector. Mine is an older model which is an all maple body as opposed to the Alder/walnut/maple sandwich the LX has. I think I'd prefer the warmer LX tone, however the east pre amp in mine coupled with the maple body sounds massive :)

LX it is then! B) Confirmed in an e-mail from the rather excellent P. J. Rubal at Spector:

[i]"Please tell all the players at BassChat that I send my best regards, and email me anytime with Spector questions. :) [/i]

[i]NB 4273 : indicates made at our Czech factory in 2005. So this would have our first version TonePump circuit inside (2003 - 2008) Correct, no trim pot on the original version, we added that feature in late 2008 to our (current version) TonePump. [/i]

[i]The woods should be current "LX" : body wings of European alder (back), slice of walnut, and USA maple top."[/i]

:)

Edited by Conan

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1380402976' post='2224942']
Just wondering what kind of music you're finding it not suited to? I have a little spector GAS at the moment and am worried I may find the same thing.
[/quote]

Actually, it's not so much the music as me personally. It is an incredibly versatile instrument (even though my current band mates say they prefer the tone of a Jazz bass as it "fits better" with their music). It's more the ergonomics.

The body is small, which looks a bit silly on a big guy. It is the first bass I have played with a curved/shaped body. I can see how this could be a real advantage, but it takes some getting used to!

The neck seems very long. On other basses, I am used to the twelfth fret position being roughly underneath the end of the upper horn. On the Spector that position is about the fifteenth fret. I have found this a (minor) problem when I play without looking... Yeah, I know what the obvious solution to this is!

The neck is lovely. Very fast and easy to get a stupidly low action. But it is also a bit narrow and deep for my taste. Yes, if it was my only (or even main) bass I would quickly get used to it. But at the moment I tend to play my (borrowed) Mex Jazz as my go-to bass, with the Status a close second when I get bored. As I am only in one band and work full-time, this means that the third bass (Spector) gets far less playing than it would take for me to fully familiarise myself with it.

It's an awkward one. I am aware that if I sell it, I am unlikely to be able to afford another one. A lot of music I listen to features a Spector, and they really do have "that tone" when I play it too! It is a beautiful instrument. I sometimes just stop to look at it! Lovely.

But if I keep it, it's unlikely that I will ever play it as often as it deserves - and that makes me feel sad. All that, added to the very sluggish market at the moment, means that I would rather hold onto it than sell at a silly price (although I am still open to offers!! ;) ).

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Ghost Rider' timestamp='1380830080' post='2231348']
I've played this & IMO it's a Belter.
[/quote]

It is indeed, and somebody should be playing it more than I am likely to!

But if the right price or trade isn't forthcoming (and I've had a few interesting offers!), then I will happily keep it. :)

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1381663098' post='2241890']
Temptation!
[/quote]

Indeed! Me too. I'm tempted to keep it... but I am also tempted by a number of basses currently for sale! :gas:

Here is a review of the Doug Wimbish model, which is pretty much identical in spec (apart from the high gloss finish and the [b][i]slightly[/i][/b] different neck profile):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XLorYNC0Q4[/media]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='TLBX' timestamp='1382639380' post='2254923']
Hey Conan.I have a 75 reissue American that I don't play bit like yourself with the Spector that I might be interested in a trade. Only in the early stages of thinking about a trade. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Yes, I could well be interested mate! Where are you based? Do you have any pics available?

Bump for (another) price drop. You're killing me here guys!! :unsure: :D

BTW, people who think that EMG pickups sound "clinical" or "sterile" should hear them in this bass! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1383497587' post='2265059']
Plenty of those about lately it is a shame too say anyway GLWTS :)
[/quote]

Cheers. It's bloody annoying to say the least! Good manners cost nothing. If you are no longer interested in buying something, just say so! <_<

It's not as if my original post is short on details... :rolleyes:

It may be a buyer's market at the moment, but that is no reason for (potential) buyers to be lazy and rude :(