Why become a member? ×

Mixer panning query!

Bloc Riff Nut

When my bass is plugged into line 1 of a Behringer MX602A it sounds different when panned fully left, to when it's panned fully right. Panned right sounds fatter,deeper and just bassier. Panned left sounded ok until I heard panned right. The mixer is hooked up to Yamaha active near field monitors. I'm probablyy missing something obvious. Here is how I connected everything.

The monitors have quite a few adjustable paramiters so I kept everything to 0dB, but I'm not sure if that is the right/usual thing to do.

I connected the monitors to the mixer with 1.5mtr guitar cable(unbalanced).I'd be greatful for any help.

Cheers,

Phil.

Edited by Bloc Riff Nut

When I swap the cables(that are going to the speakers)over, the characteristic sound goes with it. So, it's not the speaker settings, or the speaker its self(I mean monitor).

I'm sitting 2.5mtr from the monitors, and I've only played at relatively low volume.
The bassier of the two is in the corner of the room(15cm from the 90 degrees of the walls). the other is 15cm from a flat wall.

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' timestamp='1377374754' post='2186927']

I'm sitting 2.5mtr from the monitors, and I've only played at relatively low volume.
The bassier of the two is in the corner of the room(15cm from the 90 degrees of the walls). the other is 15cm from a flat wall.
[/quote]

thats the difference, its amazing how proximity to a wall or corner can effect bass response.

Physically swapped the speakers around and the one in the corner always has substantially more bass. I was aware of this when placing your bass amp but didn't expect it to be so apparent for small speakers at low volume. The difference is amazing, anyway, there is a room controll switch on the back and I set this to -4dB and they now sound balanced.
Thanks for the pointers.
BC is top ;-)

Trying to fix a time domain problem using a non-time domain solution is never going to be very reliable. In the long term (especially if you want to do anything serious recording-wise with this set up) you are going to need to position your speakers more sensibly where they are less affected by the room.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1377428193' post='2187312']
Trying to fix a time domain problem using a non-time domain solution is never going to be very reliable. In the long term (especially if you want to do anything serious recording-wise with this set up) you are going to need to position your speakers more sensibly where they are less affected by the room.
[/quote]

Agreed. EQing one speaker differently is likely to throw problems into other areas. But assuming that a better speaker placement may not be practicable ( I have a similar issue though maybe not as pronounced ) then a way to go might be to place sound absorbing acoustic material behind the speakers and on the relevant wall. Basically aimimg to take the wall reflections out of the equation by getting rid of them. Unfortunately this becomes more difficult the lower the frequency as more mass is needed but it may still be the best way to go.
But I've just seen in the pic that the monitors have a rear port ? I'd try loosely blocking that up as an easy first step - using cotton wool or similar. Thoughts ???

Span the desk across the corner making a triangle behind it (optionally a basstrap in that space is a great idea)

That is your only option in a corner for getting the output of both speakers to be the same.

You cant fix this with eq, or port stuffing (bass is omnidirectional) or any other solution at all.

Edited by 51m0n