Why become a member? ×

The Bass Doc

Cat Burrito

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1380744703' post='2230030']
Awesome, that looks gorgeous! They are wickid aren't they. I've just sent Horrid a drawing of my Lion Head PG for my new Jag I won at the SE Bass Bash. I can't wait! Airbrushing the black detail is going to be interesting, will have to think about how I'm going to mask it.

[/quote]

That's friggin' AWESOME, almost makes me want to buy a Jazz and steal your idea - ALMOST

Looking forward to seeing the end result :-)

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1380800758' post='2230677']
[attachment=145262:LoungeAug13.jpg]

Being as I started this thread and it has transformed into a celebration of Howard's work, this is what he did for me
[/quote]
How did he make that cushion on the left to match your bass pickguard? Did you have to send him a material sample? :-)

[quote name='Lorne' timestamp='1380801764' post='2230707']
That's friggin' AWESOME, almost makes me want to buy a Jazz and steal your idea - ALMOST

Looking forward to seeing the end result :-)
[/quote]

Here you go :)

Howard did a lovely job of cutting the shape from my 1:1 drawing. I masked the lion head design and sprayed it with matt black acrylic last night. I'll give it an acrylic gloss clear coat next week as it will need protection.

That looks great!

Getting mildly excited, too, as I have sent Howard my old Fender Musicmaster that he is routing out and installing a P pickup in, together with a new pickguard. So my new 'Mustangmaster'®©™ is on its way back home any day now.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381399846' post='2238428']
That worked well!

Would you and Horrid do one for me? I'd like it to be of Bill Turnbull. Thanks.
[/quote]

You have a very unhealthy obsession with Bill Turnbull mate, I think another sort of Doc is probably in order :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1381400200' post='2238440']
That looks great!

Getting mildly excited, too, as I have sent Howard my old Fender Musicmaster that he is routing out and installing a P pickup in, together with a new pickguard. So my new 'Mustangmaster'®©™ is on its way back home any day now.
[/quote]

Ooh, how exciting!

Cheers Paul :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1381400200' post='2238440']
[/quote]

Quoting myself here, the Mustangmaster®©™ has arrived! Lovely thing it is too - Howard has done a marvellous job. This was a 70s Musicmaster with a fairly serious split in the body making it pretty much unsaleable (although muggins bought it like that... although not for much, it has to be said). An old MIJ fender pup out of a precision I bought, a Ki0gon wiring loom, Howard routed out the body, made a new scratchplate, fitted it all together with new knobs. I wasn't sure what it would sound like. Answer - it sounds like itself. Doesn't sound a great deal like a Precision, but then it doesn't sound a great deal like the original Musicmaster. There are similarities but this has a much deeper, fuller and richer tone, great output.

Some hastily snapped, poor quality pictures...

Before:
[attachment=146101:musicmaster2.jpg]

After:

[attachment=146099:Mustangmaster1.jpg][attachment=146100:Mustangmaster2.jpg]

Edited by Paul S