Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Electra VS4 ....... New bass day !

Adee

I've just taken delivery of my new Sandberg Electra VS4 .... I pondered hard and long which colour to go for, not that there's
a massive choice ! Just Tobacco Burst or Cream .... I decided on the Tobacco (see pix below) the satin finish is smooth
and just feels great, neck is also has a smooth satin feel too, not glossy or sticky.

First impressions fresh out of the box is very good indeed, I'll go through each point, if you have any question just ask and I'll
do my very best to let you know the answer ....

The fit and finish is second to none, the overall finish is superb with nothing at all to comment on except its excellent
Neck pock is as tight as you can possibly get and is held in there with SIX screws, so its going nowhere.

The edge of the fretboard is smooth and well finished, I was worried about not having big dots on the fretbord, but to be honest
you don't notice it, the small dots on the edge are enough. Looks so cool with out dots too !

All of the hardwear appears to be good quality, tuners stay in tune and bridge is fully adjustable (once you work out what
each grub screw does, refer to the handbook if you don't know as its not obvious) The nobs are nice too and the addition of
the string tree that holds the A/D/G stings down is a great touch. The strap buttons are compatible with Schaller strap
locks as well as standard straps too, so no faffing around having to change them.

The truss rod is accessed at the head so easily adjusted, I straightened the neck slightly with a 1/4 turn and dropped the action
very slightly at the bridge and still has buzz free playing all over the neck ..... The necks are PLEK'd at the factory in Germany
as part of the finishing and assembly process (mine was done by Carlos) You will not find a bass at this price with a plek'd neck
and it does make a difference.

I have now have a bass that plays and feels like something costing double !

The electronics seem up to the Sandberg standard too, although not the same as the high end basses, the pick-up looks
like the Delano pups with massive pole pieces. Active electronics with bass and treble boost / cut as well as passive mode too.
with the bass and treble set flat if you switch between the active and passive there is very little difference or 'colour' change.
The active when used is natural sounding and not clinical like some.

A good punchy tone and not a lot to of EQing needed, great having bass and treble at your fingertips if you need to dial a little
of each into your tone. Only a little touch needed though.

If you pondering on a new P-Bass and looking at a MIM Fender then also look at on of these (they do a Jazz model too the TT4)
Before you shell out the same money on a Fender find someone who stocks both and TRY THEM. You will not be disappointed
theres not a lot of them around but Guitar Guitar and PMT will be stocking them in the next couple of weeks as I tried my
local PMT in Northampton and the bass tech reliably informed me !

[attachment=141871:IMG_0827.JPG] [attachment=141872:IMG_0828.JPG] [attachment=141873:IMG_0829.JPG]

[attachment=141874:IMG_0830.JPG] [attachment=141875:IMG_0831.JPG] [attachment=141876:IMG_0836.JPG]

[attachment=141877:IMG_0832.JPG] [attachment=141878:IMG_0833.JPG] [attachment=141879:IMG_0837.JPG]

Really pleased with it and at this sort of price range you cant go wrong, feels and sounds like a lot of bass for the money
Well worth a try if you can find one in stock

Will come back with more info once I have used it in anger on Saturday and Sunday ...

Hardwear seems very good, lets see how it stands gigging and time.
Not sure its actual Sandberg hardwear off the high end basses
more like designed by but seems ok

The electrics are the same, but again seem good, will come back after
two gigs at the weekend

Can't think of a downside yet .....

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1377040332' post='2182708']

Sorry to jump in dude, but I believe the hardware is all standard sandberg stuff. :D
[/quote]

I'm not too sure the blurb they have for these is a bit vague. Seems that parts are sourced else where made in east Asia somewhere but go to Germany for QC.
Wouldn't be able to tell until I had one in me hands though. Waiting for some creme jazz to go up SH

The hardwear is sourced from the far east and so far seems good
the tuners stay in tune during gigging conditions and bridge is
easily adjusted once you understand the locking screws

The nut measures 38mm and feels jazz like and is not chunky

Used it tonight 'live' for the first time and have another festival
tomorrow so will give my views and review then

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...