Why become a member? ×

What to Sacrifice, Cab or Head?

HarperHawk

Hi everyone

I have a small setup for my small band (just bass and drums, noisy funk sounding thing)

I have Markbass LMII head with GK NEO 210 cab.
I like my equipment small and light if you hadn't noticed.

Not really impressed with the 2 together though, I think the cab is struggling, not so much on volume but the power of the head. If that makes sense?

And so I want to get a more uniformed setup which involves me either losing the head and getting GK MB500 maybe?

orrr, losing the cab to get a Markbass cab, maybe a 1 x 15 or 2 x 10, or 2 x 12?

Do people have any advice for me? Am I doing the right thing here?

Thank you in advance for your wise words of wisdom

Yep, my mate Napper uses exactly that rig with a loud 2-guitar classic rock band, and sounds good, too.

I used a LMIII with my Schroeder 1515L for a while (and with a MB410 before that) and never had any headroom issues.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1376922668' post='2180906']
A Schroeder 1212L goes really nicely with the LMll, really loud, great on stage monitoring and sits really nicely in the mix.
[/quote]

Agree. Schroeders are very good cabs for sitting in the mix. Sound a bit scratchy and nasally on their own mind, but in the mix they are great.

Alternatively, well I`d have a listen to bassists whose tone I like and then get the head or cab to match the rig. GK are great, but I find it is a very specific tone, easily identifiable, quite cutting, whereas Markbass I find sits better within the mix.

Going by the sound of the band as described, I`d reckon a GK amp is probably more in keeping with your sound - the MB500 is amazingly powerful, as is the MB Fusion 500. I think it`s that "cut" that you`re after and having had both GK and Markbass, in my opinion GK is the one to go for.

2 Schroeder 1212s for sale right here on BC

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209267-fs-schroeder-1212-bass-cab/page__pid__2180237#entry2180237

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211280-schroeder-1212l-speaker-cab/page__p__2154245__hl__schroeder__fromsearch__1#entry2154245

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm still unsure but at least I have some avenues to consider. I appreciate the feedback.

I think I'd prefer to change cab as I do like how the LMII sounds, I have pedals that dirty the sound up when required etc
Budget is an issue so will depend on me shifting out what I already own.

Looks like time to start trading on here!

add same 210 and get a 410 config that you can split down if you want.
You end up with the same sound but bigger... and louder.

As the impedance comes down, the amp can produce more from the impedance.

So with a LM amp, that is potentially 550-550w..????

win-win-win...!!!

Do you know any local bass players who can come over and bring an amp and cab so you can hear other rigs?

Then try putting another cab with your rig. You'll be surprised how much better it will sound.

Edited by chris_b

I still don't really know why people say cabs/amps don't sit in the mix properly or have certain tones.
While an amp & cab can colour the tone I find that most modern EQ sections in amps can change the sound quite considerably.

Anyway, if I was you I would go down the "different cab" route, I think what you miss is the "trouser flapping" feeling from the cab and you won't get that from a 2x10. Even my 2x12" doesn't feel like it shifts air like my old 4x10 used to. There's nothing wrong with the GK cabs or Markbass amps, so I'd follow the others and say get another GK Neo 210, so long as your existing is an 8 ohm cab.

Hi there,

Yes my current cab is 8ohm.
My original and long term plan is to have 2x10 (which I have) paired with 1x15 to sitting on the bottom, or possibly another 2x10

Pairing is definately the option as it makes everything a lot more transportable for me.

The problem I have I guess is I don't like the sound of what I have at the moment and after using the head at a couple of gigs (with someone elses cab) I do think its the cab.
A lot of it can probably be put down to the size of the cab but I thought that matching the cabs brand with the head may benefit me?

Maybe Im thinking too much into it and another cab would sort my problem.

Well the addition of another cab would dramatically increase the size/depth of the sound. Personally I`d get two of the same cabs, This way, you can rehearse or do small gigs with one, then use both for bigger events without having to re-eq which is likely with 2 different cab formations.

[quote name='HarperHawk' timestamp='1377092166' post='2183234']
Hi there,

Yes my current cab is 8ohm.
My original and long term plan is to have 2x10 (which I have) paired with 1x15 to sitting on the bottom, or possibly another 2x10

Pairing is definately the option as it makes everything a lot more transportable for me.

The problem I have I guess is I don't like the sound of what I have at the moment and after using the head at a couple of gigs (with someone elses cab) I do think its the cab.
A lot of it can probably be put down to the size of the cab but I thought that matching the cabs brand with the head may benefit me?

Maybe Im thinking too much into it and another cab would sort my problem.
[/quote]

I'd have thought that if you don't like the sound of the cab, adding another would just give more of a sound that you don't like.

Sell the cab - get something that you do like.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1377093937' post='2183263']
I'd have thought that if you don't like the sound of the cab, adding another would just give more of a sound that you don't like.

Sell the cab - get something that you do like.
[/quote]

I don't like the sound I get using one of my GK Neo 12 (too weak and not shifting enough air) but using both together I do.

I'm quite a fan of GK, and recently bought an MB212-II combo, reviewed here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210401-gallien-krueger-mb212-ii-500w-combo/

There are pluses and minuses. On the good side, it's stupidly light at 41 lbs, and delivers all 500W to the internal speakers without need for an extension cab. On the bad side, GK don't seem to be renowned for their reliability, and I had to send mine back - twice - before getting number three delivered a couple of days ago.

You can still get the series 1 models at £450, which is what I went for in the end. I'm in West Bromwich if you want to give it a whirl. PM me.

BB

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1377094791' post='2183278']
I don't like the sound I get using one of my GK Neo 12 (too weak and not shifting enough air) but using both together I do.
[/quote]

Fair enough, but if I didn't like the inherent tone of a cab, I'd be extremely wary of adding the same again in the hope that it'd turn into something completely different.