Why become a member? ×

Another pug-ugly bass

thinman

I'm not sure if this very thing was the subject of another derisive thread earlier on this year (Warwick/Framus?) but having just seen this thing myself I think it warrants another bashing:

Would anyone buy this bass even if it wasn't £3000? It's hideous. I quite like a lot of Warwicks but it's like some steroid-fuelled moon-faced mutant.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_hellborg_signature_bass_ns.htm"]Hellborg[/url]

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='217871' date='Jun 12 2008, 07:40 PM']Methinks it's nowhere near THAT bad.

Peter[/quote]

It must be the price tag making it uglier to me then. I probably wouldn't give it a second thought if it was £150.

Apart form the totally inappropriate to the rest of the bass generic Warwick headstock, that's pretty cool...

Although on the whole Warwick signature basses are grossly overpriced. The only Warwick I've ever played that I liked was the Jack Bruce Cream Reunion model, but at around £4000 it's simply not worth it for an instrument that isn't a one-off custom built to exactly my specifications.

Edited by BigRedX

There's a film on the Bass Player video site.

Go to www.bassplayer.tv choose "BP Live 2007" then "Jonas Hellborg" - and you'll see Jonas playing that bass. The whole thing's worth watching, but if you just want to hear the bass, jump straight to number 5.

I think the bass looks very, very cool. Shame it's so darn expensive....

Edited by 7string

My views on Warwicks are well documented, but I must say, that is the nicest looking Warwick I've ever seen. I almost think its OK (its still firewood obviously, its a Warwick).

The rest of the range is designed with the mulleted, wannabe 1980's session musician in mind. This has a tiny bit of style.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='218194' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:38 AM']My views on Warwicks are well documented, but I must say, that is the nicest looking Warwick I've ever seen. I almost think its OK (its still firewood obviously, its a Warwick).

The rest of the range is designed with the mulleted, wannabe 1980's session musician in mind. This has a tiny bit of style.[/quote]

More or less what i was thinking...i've seen a lot uglier.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='218177' date='Jun 13 2008, 11:15 AM']However, I can't understand anyone to buys anything other than a Jazz or Precision.[/quote]
Anyone apart from people who've played decent basses, you mean?