Why become a member? ×

Blood on Strings - is Meths the Answer?

Donnyboy

Played with the band for the first time in a while last night and after a while thought that my strings felt a bit sticky.

Closer examination revealed that my softy finger was bleeding all over the place- then of course it became a bit sore.

Did a quick search - will a quick going over with meths do the trick?

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1376484518' post='2174590']
Thank you - should be ok with a little mixer? :unsure:
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Yes!
Seriously though, AFAIK meths is OK - if you can get the clear stuff - the purple stuff leaves a residue.
There is something else but I can't remember the name of it... hang on.

Isopropyl Alcohol.

[url="http://www.euroffice.co.uk/i/8jz1/AF-Isoclene-Isopropyl-alcohol-for-general-cleaning-250-ml-pump-spray-Ref-AISO250?AFF=LI6844333&utm_campaign=ShoppingComp&utm_source=Google+Base&utm_medium=ShoppingComp&s=1"]http://www.euroffice.co.uk/i/8jz1/AF-Isoclene-Isopropyl-alcohol-for-general-cleaning-250-ml-pump-spray-Ref-AISO250?AFF=LI6844333&utm_campaign=ShoppingComp&utm_source=Google+Base&utm_medium=ShoppingComp&s=1[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1376484850' post='2174604']
Hee, hee. Yes!
Seriously though, AFAIK meths is OK - if you can get the clear stuff - the purple stuff leaves a residue.
There is something else but I can't remember the name of it... hang on.
[/quote]

Didn't know about the purple stuff leaving a residue, it's what I've been using for years :unsure: time to search out the clear then

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376527657' post='2175640']
I've not found a residue with purple meths.
[/quote]

Me neither, I think it's a widely believed myth tbh as I've heard several people say it.

You could also probably use surgical spirit, isopropyl alcohol, but IMO you don't want any of this stuff near the finish, fretboard (or particularly plastic parts) as you could find a nasty reaction happens (especially if you e.g have a nitro/cellulose finish on your bass)

I'd probably take the strings off, clean them with alcohol or soapy water and give the bass a clean with a damp cloth and some polish, lemon oil on the fingerboard if it's rosewood.

Anyway, there can't have been *that* much blood surely? You're making it sound like some kind of gig-horror-movie :lol:

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1376558242' post='2175828']
Me neither, I think it's a widely believed myth tbh as I've heard several people say it.

You could also probably use surgical spirit, isopropyl alcohol, but IMO you don't want any of this stuff near the finish, fretboard (or particularly plastic parts) as you could find a nasty reaction happens (especially if you e.g have a nitro/cellulose finish on your bass)

I'd probably take the strings off, clean them with alcohol or soapy water and give the bass a clean with a damp cloth and some polish, lemon oil on the fingerboard if it's rosewood.

Anyway, there can't have been *that* much blood surely? You're making it sound like some kind of gig-horror-movie :lol:
[/quote]

Eh , well I'm a total girl when it comes to blood 'n' stuff, so to me in was a total bloodbath situation. And my finger is still really sore ....