Why become a member? ×

Musicman H or HH.

rodacademy

Hey mate,

As it happens, we discussed this very point just days ago in the Bass Guitar forum in the Gear section. You can have a look there.

Simply put: on regular MMs, the neck pup just gives extra possibilities.
However different EQ and switching exist, so it can get slightly complicated.

(BTW not so with the Bongo, as the bridge pup is moved on the double pup models.)

best,
bert

Personally I get on fine with a single H Stingray for a few reasons. I like the simplicity, the classic Stingray sound, and I think the dual humbucker thing on a Stingray looks really nasty. It will definitely open up some more tonal options but the HH Rays I tried have seemed overwhelming powerful and just weren't my thing at all.

Edited by risingson

I never liked any of the HH or HS stingrays I have tried, they look odd and don't have the classic stingray sound.
Bongo HH is a monster just looks as odd as fcuk but a serious player. But it matters not what we think dude it's your eyes and your ears try them both for a while.

Bridge pups will sound similar, but the Stingray H can't do the neck sound. How much of a big deal that is depends how much you'd use the neck pup sound.

From my experience, the extra H wasn't as useful as I thought. There's a setting of coils that gives an outrageous slap sound but I found the neck pup on its own was more Gibson than P. I was after the P for soul.

The H sounds exactly the same as the HH in the bridge pup. Any variations (unless we are talking 2EQ single H) are to do with different EQ settings, different wood, different fingerboards, different strings, old/new strings, different players, and minor differences in pup windings etc...

So, if you want the traditional Stingray H tone, and more, get the HH or HS. If you just want one pickup, get the H.

The Bongo HH / HS has a tighter bridge H tone...as its closer.

Edited by Musicman20

It's worth mentioning that the Bongo has a significantly more defined tone that the Stingray for a number of reasons , so dont expect even an HH Stingray to sound quite as articulate as your Bongo . The Stingray is significantly more "scooped" and hollow sounding . That's not neccesarilly a bad thing by any means , but it is something to be aware of . Maybe you could try a second Bongo with a different pickup configuration ?

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1376345644' post='2172712']

...Bongo HH is a monster just looks as odd as fcuk but a serious player. But it matters not what we think dude it's your eyes and your ears try them both for a while.
[/quote]

This. Bongo HH are great. The only way they might be better is with series/parallel switching. They sound colossal.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1376409623' post='2173551']
I still fancy a Big Al, that would be different to the Bongo but still really cool IMO, I think I want one!
[/quote]

I can agree with that.

The Bongo is just a beast though. The Big Al gets very cool and vintagey, and its SO fun to play, but I've yet to hear anything as powerful and clear as the Bongo....

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1376384233' post='2172986']

The Bongo HH / HS has a tighter bridge H tone...as its closer. That is the only Musicman like that.
[/quote]

Not wishing to be a smartass here but the 25 Anniversary/Reflex in HSS config also has the H pickup closer to the bridge - it's the only way they can get all 3 pickups to fit. Sounds bloody great as well.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1376431133' post='2174020']

Not wishing to be a smartass here but the 25 Anniversary/Reflex in HSS config also has the H pickup closer to the bridge - it's the only way they can get all 3 pickups to fit. Sounds bloody great as well.
[/quote]

Oh yes I totally forgot they made the HSS! Thanks

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1376463274' post='2174152']

Oh yes I totally forgot they made the HSS! Thanks
[/quote]

Yep- most people forget about the 25th/Reflex which is a real shame because they are outstanding.....IMHO of course :-)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1377160949' post='2184012']
Do Bongos use different pups?
[/quote]

Yep! Neodymium magnets. I'm sure they are wound pretty hot as well. It definitely makes a difference. Very very CLEAR and almost hi-fi with the grunt of a Musicman. Extremely sensitive pickups...so the lightest touch makes a big sound!