Why become a member? ×

Can Anyone Recommend A Carrier ?

Dingus

I need to send a bass from one location in the U.K to another , and last time I had to do this a while ago I had real problems finding a company that would accept and insure musical instruments . Can anyone recommend me a good carrier to send a bass with insurance in the U.K ?

I have just used DPD via Interparcel to ship a bass to Greece, DPD were fortunately better at keeping track of my parcel than Interparcel were (first they said the tracking number they have given me didn't exist, which was worrying, and then the day after it had been delivered they contacted me to say they had found my parcel and it would be delivered in the next 3 working days!)

Still it got there in the end

Thanks for the replies .chaps . I've just been looking at the Interparcel website and it says the maximum they can insure an item for is £1000 , and that would cost an extra £20 . The bass would need to be insured for more than that , anyhow . Does anybody have any suggestions , or am I getting it wrong ?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376244611' post='2171254']
I think if I had an instrument to send that was worth more than £1000 I'd be looking to deliver it in person.
[/quote]

I would love to do that , but unfortunately I have no time to do so anytime in the forseeable future . I suppose £1000 would be better than nothing . I used to use Interlink , but they require you to have an account nowadays , as do many others .

Where's it going from & too? You never know the BC delivery service has worked before :)

IIRC Parcelmonkey - who I used recently to send the Zoom B9 use Citylink who appear to nit cover musical instruments at all. I ended up calling it a 'sound processor' as any reference to music or guitar flagged it as not available to cover, and 'sound [i]effect[/i]' got flagged as 'persona [i]effects[/i]'

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if the insurance is any good until you find yourself having to make a claim on it.

I've never had a problem with UPS via Interparcel. I make sure that what I send is packaged as well as possible and that's been good enough even for basses that went to France and Japan.

Is there no Basschatter who could help you out?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376246350' post='2171295']
Unfortunately there is no way of knowing if the insurance is any good until you find yourself having to make a claim on it.

I've never had a problem with UPS via Interparcel. I make sure that what I send is packaged as well as possible and that's been good enough even for basses that went to France and Japan.

Is there no Basschatter who could help you out?
[/quote]

Unfortunately , it's unlikely, as the bass is at my mum's house in the Yorkshire Dales and needs to go to Central London . The arrangement is further complicated by the fact that I have to organise pickup when someone is at the house to hand over the bass .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1376247380' post='2171322']
I always use Paisley Freight, shipping a bass in a hard case starts at £12, then add whatever insurance you want, if any. Used them over 20 times, without issue.
[/quote]

Thanks , I'll take a look . The bass is in its' hard case and the original cardboard carton , so it should be well -protected .

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376238497' post='2171164']
UPS via Interparcel. That's what I've been using.
[/quote]

+1 to this.
I always bump up the insurance though to cover replacement of the item just in case but have had no problems. I also always package stuff to withstand a nuclear strike!