Why become a member? ×

Getting More Low End From My Precision

jonsmith

I don't have one at the moment, no, but I have had in the past, but I have not done a direct comparison this time, no. But I have AB tested against my Bart Equipped MTD, and my Hohner Jack Custom, ,and the P is not lacking.

My P is strung with flats. The mtd could be slightly fuller in the sub lows due to the EQ available on it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1376723910' post='2178368']
If you don't mind me asking, do you also play jazz bass as well as the p-bass?
I ask this because I have a jazz, a P-J and a P.
My P is the one with the thinnest tone. I bought it after I found that on the PJ I was loving the P pup. Yet in comparison the P bass wirh Bart pups just doesn't have to lows of the other 2.
[/quote]

That could well be the Bart Pups doing that.. Try it with a stock Fender pup or SD's..
Might be too obvious but with the Jazz what you might be hearing is single coil vs the split single... or just the pick-up placement. Familyman had his choice of basses and mostly used the Jazz.. so maybe there is something more there.

Just been messing with pup heights on my P bass...the closer it is to the E string it [i][u][b]does[/b][/u][/i] seem to loose some depth to its sound....I'm wondering if the 'extra magnetic pull' from the pup on the strings means they don't vibrate correctly in some way...great attack though, but sustain dies off a tad quicker...not scientific obviously but if anyone else is bored worth a go?

I've just raised my action. Well, that's to say I've wound up the height of the strings on the bridge. The pups are tight down. It will take longer to raise MY action of my playing. Miracles take a little longer etc.,.

The tone has definitely got better and more woody. It's lost some of the twang.

Many thanks guys. You've saved me buying new pups, for a while anyway.

Good evening Grangur

You had a lot of solutions from fellow groovers :)

My little advice would be to try flatwounds on your PB one day.
I wasn't a flats fan and once i tried, just for fun...
Since that change, each time i want a huge low sound for rock, blues music i pick up my flats loaded Precision. With a pick or finger style, it works.

I hope it will be usefull

Edited by Emanew

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1376707102' post='2178331']

tone control on a passive only cuts treble...no bass boost per se...unless ive missed something?
[/quote]

There is complex interaction between the inductance of the pickup and resistance/capacitance of the tone control when it is rolled off nearly all the way, resulting in a bass boost. Easy to demonstrate by turning up your amp loud, play some low notes with the tone open and closed - the room will shake more with it closed!

Here's a graph stolen from a Talkbass thread:

[url]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/simple-question-about-tone-capacitor-975342/[/url]

I happen to like this effect, it sounds great for old school Motown. It looks like I can tame the peak slightly with a bigger capacitor, so I think I'm gonna rewire the useless S1 switch on my P to be a tone control that can switch between two different capacitors!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1376072440' post='2169459']
Do you mean the classic p-bass split coil pickup?[/quote]

I did. It seems however that the OP is very happy with the inherent sound of his bass now that he has his pickup heights sorted. Ps will never be the bassiest basses around (well, not a 'standard' passive Fendery type one anyway) but they are just perfect for pretty much most things. Pleased you're happy jonsmith.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1376780202' post='2179152']
There is complex interaction between the inductance of the pickup and resistance/capacitance of the tone control when it is rolled off nearly all the way, resulting in a bass boost. Easy to demonstrate by turning up your amp loud, play some low notes with the tone open and closed - the room will shake more with it closed!

Here's a graph stolen from a Talkbass thread:

<snip>

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/simple-question-about-tone-capacitor-975342/"]http://www.talkbass....pacitor-975342/[/url]

I happen to like this effect, it sounds great for old school Motown. It looks like I can tame the peak slightly with a bigger capacitor, so I think I'm gonna rewire the useless S1 switch on my P to be a tone control that can switch between two different capacitors!
[/quote]

Interesting, although it's somewhere quite a bit below 250-400Hz that I'm looking for a bit more oomph. I do also want to keep the top end (yes I want it all!), so don't want to roll off the tone.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this problem has only appeared in the last year or so? I genuinely think it was less of a problem when I got the bass.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1376944452' post='2181415']
I did. It seems however that the OP is very happy with the inherent sound of his bass now that he has his pickup heights sorted. Ps will never be the bassiest basses around (well, not a 'standard' passive Fendery type one anyway) but they are just perfect for pretty much most things. Pleased you're happy jonsmith.
[/quote]

Happier certainly, but I'm not convinced that it's totally sorted yet. I am going to doublecheck the wiring at the weekend. I feel sure the bass is capable of more.

As mentioned and you have done, raise the action, I would also suggest TI flats, no lack of bass and growl on my G&L SB1 and Kramer DMZ4001 - both P style basses. I did also own the real deal many years ago, no lack of bass with that either (Acoustic 370 might have helped somewhat). Final resort - Graphic EQ ?

• 3 months later...

Update on this:

Decided I wasn't totally happy and replaced the pickup with Seymour Duncan SPB-3, which has made the difference I wanted. Although it now has a bit more low end than ever, it is closer to how it was when I first got it. I can only assume that the previous pickup had somehow deteriorated over time.