Why become a member? ×

NBD - Yamaha TRBX504

hamfist

I have got an eye on these , too . I prefer the solid finish on the cheaper 300 series , but the pickups look better on the 500's ( and we all know the most important thing about a pickup is how it looks ...) . I love the shape of these basses , especially the headstock . I look forward to hearing more about how they perform . In keeping with what White Cloud says , my experience of Yamaha is that , on the whole, at every price point they deliver a lot of quality for the money .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1375874212' post='2166700']
It's supposedly the trans-black finish. Although there is definitely a very, very dark brown thing going on. Not unattractive at all.
In fact, I think overall this bass may well become my number one.
[/quote]

I'm very interested to hear how your Yamaha compares to your Westones. Particularly in terms of feel and playability. I presume that the Yamaha is made in Indonesia. Is it? If not, where? How would they compare? We have another thread being very complimentary about Squier CV basses, which I think are made in Indonesia. Is Indonesia, or at least some factories there, caught up to pretty much the best in the world in what they can produce. (I mean the best stuff, not the stuff built to a limited budget).

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1379503054' post='2213370']

I'm very interested to hear how your Yamaha compares to your Westones. Particularly in terms of feel and playability. I presume that the Yamaha is made in Indonesia. Is it? If not, where? How would they compare? We have another thread being very complimentary about Squier CV basses, which I think are made in Indonesia. Is Indonesia, or at least some factories there, caught up to pretty much the best in the world in what they can produce. (I mean the best stuff, not the stuff built to a limited budget).
[/quote]

The TRBX504 is made in Indonesia, yes.

As for a comparison with the Westones, that is a very hard thing to do, they are such different beasts and, of course, I did not see the Westones from new, as they are all nearly 30 yrs old.

Tonally, I'd say the Yamaha is slightly more consistent across (and up and down) the whole fretboard than my Westones. The Westones have a bit more "weight" to them and this gives the impression of "quality" which is perhaps not fair on the Yamaha, as it is such a light thing and yet I have no quality complaints whatsoever with it. Everything is superb on it. The finish is perfect, the neck pocket fits like a glove. The fret edges could be smoother if I was being picky. It's a high quality instrument for sure. In fact I'd say that tonally right up the fretboard it is far more consistent than any other bass I've played under £1000.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379591323' post='2214498']
Marvin says I won't like the neck (being a chunky-neck P man - in every sense ;)), and I'm inclined to believe him.
I don't like Jazz necks so I won't like this, is the thinking...
[/quote]

Wear some thick gloves and you won't notice the slimness at all ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379591323' post='2214498']
Marvin says I won't like the neck (being a chunky-neck P man - in every sense ;)), and I'm inclined to believe him.
I don't like Jazz necks so I won't like this, is the thinking...
[/quote]

Now I [b]do[/b] like jazz necks and I loved this one.

The TRBX has, like a Jazz neck, a 38mm nut. It's also what I would call quite 'shallow' ie. it's not very thick from back to front.

I'd say it's quite similar to the Ibanez SR neck, known for it's skinnyness. My Squier Precision is quite chunky and the Yamaha it's definitely nothing like that.

Overall, like I've said previously, I find the TRBX incredibly comfortable to play. It's light, sits well, access to the upper frets is very good...basically I've spent quite a lot of time playing it since I've got and find it difficult to put it down, to the point the Mrs thinks I'm ignoring her :\

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1379784556' post='2216771']
Is anybody out there with one if these able to record some clips? Particularly interested to hear how it sounds played aggressively and how close it can get to Precision territory on the neck pickup!
[/quote]

You're in luck. I'm bored so here you are.....

https://soundcloud.com/alanbridges/yamaha-trbx504-bass-clip-clean

https://soundcloud.com/alanbridges/yamaha-trbx504-bass-clip-dirty

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1379833670' post='2217095']
Were those the sort of clips you were hoping for ?
[/quote]
Very useful I think thanks
Very good machines for the price. I tried one in PMT and came away thinking that there wasn't anything in that price bracket that compared with it. It has raised the bar I think. Other companies better watch out.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1379834830' post='2217101']
Very useful I think thanks
Very good machines for the price. I tried one in PMT and came away thinking that there wasn't anything in that price bracket that compared with it. It has raised the bar I think. Other companies better watch out.
[/quote]

Pretty much anything with an F on it, unless of course the buyer needs a certain 'look'. Also as you can pick these up for about £100 less than an SR500 then maybe Ibanez should be worried :unsure:

• 3 months later...

Yamaha linked a video on their Facebook page of one being used live. They say it's a TRBX 504 but they don't come in that finish, plus it's a 5-string so I think it's a TRBX 305. Can't tell for sure as there's some cheap tramp standing in front of the bass player most of the time:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Sm7FUXeKE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Sm7FUXeKE[/url]

It's actually a TRBX 305 in that video (Yamaha said I was right!). Mine's the 504 with the volume, pan, bass, mid, treble and active/passive switch. I mostly keep it in passive mode so only have a pan, volume and tone to play with so you could always ignore the other knobs :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loved the look of these when they first came out, they sorta ooze quality fit and finish, that white is stunning too.

[u][b]P.S[/b][/u] CV series are made in China, Vintage Modified are made in Indo'..but from what I read of Yamaha they do own the factories that make their bass's, unlike others whom sub-out.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1389033614' post='2329105']
Yamaha linked a video on their Facebook page of one being used live. They say it's a TRBX 504 but they don't come in that finish, plus it's a 5-string so I think it's a TRBX 305. Can't tell for sure as there's some cheap tramp standing in front of the bass player most of the time:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Sm7FUXeKE[/media]
[/quote]

If you stop the footage between about 5-10 seconds into the video you can see it is indeed a TRBX505 - it has the 5-controls and a single switch - there is a close-up on it as he turns away and then back again. The bass player must have got a special on the colour since, as you say, the likes of you and I can't get the 505 in that finish.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1391644264' post='2359812']
I asked Yamaha themselves on their Facebook page when they posted the video and they said yep, it was a 305 not a 504 as they had posted originally.
[/quote]
That might be what they say, but if you look at the video at 9 seconds in it definitely has 5 control knobs and a switch laid out as on the 505. I have taken a screen shot but can't figure out how to post it here! I know its not that important...