Why become a member? ×

Which bass is best for...

andydye

...here we go again?

So my band are considering adding some sheehan related tunes to our repertoire and I'm thinking that I 'obviously' need to go bass shopping...the whole style is a sonic departure for me but am looking forward to the challenge...

No way can I afford a sheehan sig but I'm looking for somethingg that will allow a similarly low action for the insane tapping and will also have a similarly aggressive sound, passive too I'm hoping...ideas? Pickup combinations?

I'll be having a pedal board shuffle too to accomodate a different drive pedal, considering a sheehan ebs but happy to hear other options for this too...wet/dry mix essential, good tone shaping options etc...

Am not going to sound 'exactly' like him but a close enough approximation for the average punter will do me fine

Not really sure of budget yet so options will help to give me something to aim at

Not sure of your budget but Sandbergs seem to come out of the factory with a very low action (and 40-100 gauge strings). Various pickup combinations but unfortunately none with a pickup right by the neck.

For a complete curveball, how about the Variax? You could model a honking great humbucker in the correct position.

Thanks for that matey, spot on! Just need a p bass I can get mega low action with now...

Am looking at a bright onion blend/looper, maybe a tubescreamer and probably an mxr compressor then...

I watched a really helpful vid of billy talking about his new pedal and talking through how it came about and what other stuff he has in the two loops on it

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375609495' post='2163309']
...here we go again?

So my band are considering adding some sheehan related tunes to our repertoire and I'm thinking that I 'obviously' need to go bass shopping...the whole style is a sonic departure for me but am looking forward to the challenge...

No way can I afford a sheehan sig but I'm looking for somethingg that will allow a similarly low action for the insane tapping and will also have a similarly aggressive sound, passive too I'm hoping...ideas? Pickup combinations?

I'll be having a pedal board shuffle too to accomodate a different drive pedal, considering a sheehan ebs but happy to hear other options for this too...wet/dry mix essential, good tone shaping options etc...

Am not going to sound 'exactly' like him but a close enough approximation for the average punter will do me fine

Not really sure of budget yet so options will help to give me something to aim at
[/quote]
The Yamaha BS714 will exactly what you need. It ticks every single box. I acquired one a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it.....the neck pup is insanely hot, deep and dirty.

I used to use an upgraded Tokai hardpuncher with a Kent Armstron pup added at the neck...it was decent but the BS 714 is better!

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1375621606' post='2163510']
Thanks for posting the vid. Very interesting.
Also it looks like a guitar gym bucket in the neck of that bass. Any ideas as to the specifics?
[/quote]

http://m.uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/signature_models/attitude_limited_3/

Yamaha Custom Woofer Pickup (Front),
DiMarzio WillPower (middle)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1375622721' post='2163526']
I've got a Will Power p pickup and it is great!
[/quote]

If I managed to get hold of a bb424 would a willpower fit in it without modifying the body?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375624143' post='2163546']
If I managed to get hold of a bb424 would a willpower fit in it without modifying the body?
[/quote]
Dude...you can pick up used BS714's for £300. No routing, no further pup purchasing etc etc.

Brilliant, aggressive P bass.

Did a couple of Mr Big numbers when I was in a covers band and my P Bass coped with it perfectly well.
Maybe I'm just a skinflint but I wouldn't buy a new bass in an attempt to sound like another bass player.
In any case Billy's sound is mostly to do with Billy, not his choice of bass. :) IMHO, of course.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375631044' post='2163646']

Dude...you can pick up used BS714's for £300. No routing, no further pup purchasing etc etc.

Brilliant, aggressive P bass.
[/quote]

Wowsa! Will keep my eyes open for one of those then!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1375631352' post='2163652']
Did a couple of Mr Big numbers when I was in a covers band and my P Bass coped with it perfectly well.
Maybe I'm just a skinflint but I wouldn't buy a new bass in an attempt to sound like another bass player.
In any case Billy's sound is mostly to do with Billy, not his choice of bass. :) IMHO, of course.
[/quote]

Totally get your point matey and it's more a practical thing I guess...my go to bass has a medium low actiin as I like to dig in but it doesn't suit tapping n wotnot so rather than redo the action in between songs I wondered if there was a reasonably cheap bass I could snag that would do a decent job of the playability and sound summat like ;)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1375642228' post='2163833']
I use my modded Status Energy for tapping. Very very low action (I installed a p pickup in between the 2 jazz pickups )
[/quote]

status do tend to permit super low action don't they! I'll keep my mind and my eyes open for a grindy low action bass!

So, I have a bright-onion looper/blender and a keeley modded ts-9 on their way at the moment which will give me a sonic start, just looking for a suitably low actioned and grindy-fat sounding 4 string bass to set up accordingly now...

I have a beautiful mim 50's p-bass; fretless ibanez blazer; maxon analog delay and/or a couple of sennheiser drum mics to trade for a suitable bass...?

Edited by andydye

• 5 weeks later...

I now have a rather shocking pink Dean Custom Zone bass with a willpower middle pickup in it and it sounds pretty darn close to the right clean tone! Just need to tweak the setup and I'm just about there I think, all for a very small amount of wonga :D