Why become a member? ×

Marshall MB450H Out of Production?

grenadilla

This 450 watt @2 ohm head did not deserve to be phased out but it seems to no longer be available in the States. I got one with only one speaker jack working but the amp sounds good. Maybe the Marshall -Eden connection will give us something new?

That would be my reckoning too - some form of new product from the two. Marshall have always been, and wrongly in my opinion, slightly dismissed in the bass amp world. Shame, I think their bass amps are very good, but I suppose it`s to do with being leaders in the guitar amp field and people thinking that anything else they do must just be a side thing and no good. Marshall bass amps rock.

Yes, I had a chat with a mate of a mate, who works for Marshall. They were very unhappy with this, as it really spoiled the reputation of the MB range. For a significant period afterwards, every new batch that came in - they were manufactured in India I believe - had to be taken apart, and literally checked/re-made. Apparently the people at Marshall hated this range, for this reason. Once the problems were sorted, the range was fine. I had the 4210 combo, the 450 head, the 1x15 & 4x10 cabs, and the MB15 practice amp. No issues with any of them.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1375596187' post='2163192']
I used to have a Marshall 2x15 rig back in the 80s.
I think the main reason they get dismissed for bass kit is because they stick the stuff together with Pritt stick.
[/quote]

I wouldn't rely on one of the MBs, but the DBSeseses I'm rocking right now seem pretty much bullet-proof :)

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1375682743' post='2164098']
There are no bass amps on the Marshall website now - with the exception of the Lemmy special order item.
[/quote]

Bloody hell, you're right - not even a VBA! Might have done well to hold off selling one of mine :P

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1375660657' post='2164076']
I wouldn't rely on one of the MBs, but the DBSeseses I'm rocking right now seem pretty much bullet-proof :)
[/quote]

When I was looking at rigs, the DBS was a serious contender. :)

I had a few of the MB series, made in Vietnam. The sounds weren't to bad, but the quality wasn't there. The [b][url="/r/_ylt=A0oG7paABANSQw8A0okPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByMTNuNTZzBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11ti93hjm/EXP=1375958272/**http%3a//www.ergoindemand.com/about-mdf.htm"]Medium Density Fiberboard[/url] didn't make it either. The speaker covers rattled, and the fan motors were way to loud.[/b]

I've done some poking and sent some e-mails, and indeed both the VBA and MB series are no longer in production

Marshall bought Eden a while back (http://iheartguitarblog.com/2011/12/marshall-buys-eden-bass-amps-from-us-music-corp.html)

And it appears either they are leaving all bass manufacturing to Eden under the Eden name, or will be using Eden to produce Marshall Bass amps.

Though based on what I've heard and read, it looks like former, and no Marshall bass amps will be made, at least not for a while anyway. Sad stuff as I've always loved Marshall bass amps!

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1376318897' post='2172049']
Bugger, that means that the VBAs will only get pricier secondhand :( always wanted one, will probably never happen now...
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, hopefully my whistle blowing antics aren't the cause. Would be a really downer! Sometimes they pop up for £500 -£800 maybe we'll get lucky :)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1376330799' post='2172283']
Such a shame.
I still love marshall bass gear. Lets hope they put the name on something good ;)
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly! Looks like some DBS or VBA gear will have to find it's way to me then! Or just keep saving for the ellusive Laney Nexus I want!

Hope so! But from what I was told it looks like the Marshall name won't be on bass amps any more, all Eden, all modern, hi-fi-y american amps.
Not the big valvey grunchy monoliths of rage I want :lol:

The MB series always sounded great and offered good bang for the buck. Shame about the reliability issues.

It is sad if Marshall are indeed throwing in the towel. A reissue of the DBS range (possibly with less ridiculously heavy cabs) could have done well - they've developed a bit of a cult following. Plus there's something about the Marshall name that's timeless and aspirational, even if that reputation is mostly based on their guitar amps.

Maybe they should rebrand the Eden E-series (formerly known as Nemesis) as the new Marshall bass range? Or enter the lightweight fray with a competitor to Ampeg's Portaflex? Who knows... they might have something up their sleeves. I hope so. :)