Why become a member? ×

NBD: G&L L1505

JapanAxe

Went looking for a quality 5-er, chiefly at the [b]Gallery[/b] in Camden, and came home with this:

[attachment=139927:SDC10094.jpg][attachment=139928:SDC10096.jpg][attachment=139929:SDC10097.jpg][attachment=139930:SDC100951.jpg]

I just kept going back to it, even though (or perhaps because) it was fitted with flatwounds - a sure sign that the instrument is speaking to you (the going back, not the flats). I preferred it over the L2500 that they also had. For reference, I compared it with a '64 P-bass, a Sandberg TT4, and a Dingwall Combustion 5, just to make sure it wasn't just the amp (Streamliner & Epifani) that I was loving; no, it was the fat growly G&L.

I used to have an L2000 Tribute, but this is so much lovelier. Woot woot!

Cheers guys. I think one of the reasons this bass sounds so good is that the pickup is in the sweet spot (as per a MM I'm guessing), whereas on the 2-pickup version the bridge pickup is a little bit nearer to the bridge. Compare these photos:
[attachment=139943:SDC10094.jpg][attachment=139944:SDC11234.jpg]

Another plus point is the active/passive switch. To me it works like modern/vintage modes. In passive (vintage), the treble control seems to roll down further for hose dubby moments, whereas in active (modern) the treble control adds a lot more zing (even allowing for flats).

EDIT: When I got the bass home I did have a bit of the problem with the pickup being microphonic, but I tightened the height adjustment screw on the treble side and it's now fine. Can't wait to gig this now! Also contemplating flats for my Sandberg - I'm not a slap-happy sort of person, and I've realised I really enjoy the fat sound and comfy feel of flats. Any brands/gauges to avoid? [i]Cue long-running string comparison thread...[/i]

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1375016509' post='2155758']
I been viewing this bass on the Gallery's web site for a while and thought that I'd like to have a go on it....oh well, I'll have to join Machinehead in the jealousy club.

Fab bass - enjoy!
[/quote]

If you're passing through Swindon PM me and you can have a go!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1375099417' post='2156619']
There's a gorgeous greenburst ash/maple version of this on Ebay in the States at the moment, looks gorgeous and I'll bet sounds brilliant.
[/quote]
That'll be somewhat like this one then:

Looking at your picture in post 4, this is something I've been pondering over recently....... With basses such as these, could you dial in the same (or near enough) sound with the twin pickup one if you got the pickup balance just right, or will it never sound the same as the single pickup version? I guess you'd have to a/b both to know for sure.......

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1375133168' post='2157185']
Looking at your picture in post 4, this is something I've been pondering over recently....... With basses such as these, could you dial in the same (or near enough) sound with the twin pickup one if you got the pickup balance just right, or will it never sound the same as the single pickup version? I guess you'd have to a/b both to know for sure.......
[/quote]
I would say not.

On the 2-pickup models, the bridge pickup is closer in to the bridge, and the neck pickup is further towards the neck, though not quite as far as a P-bass pickup; but if you engage both pickups, you get phase cancellation between some of the frequencies, plus each pickup 'loads' the other, so the sound is very different from one HB in the 'MM' position - though not exactly 'hollow' like a Jazz, these are monstrous pickups! Having said that, the bridge pickup on the L2000 etc still sounds quite fat on its own, but not as fat (phat?) as on the L1505. I used to own a Tribute L2000 (now belongs to dr_skitz of this forum) so I am accustomed to its workings, and the USA model that I tried in the shop (as pictured above) was not far different to that in the available sounds.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1375134669' post='2157218']

I would say not.

On the 2-pickup models, the bridge pickup is closer in to the bridge, and the neck pickup is further towards the neck, though not quite as far as a P-bass pickup; but if you engage both pickups, you get phase cancellation between some of the frequencies, plus each pickup 'loads' the other, so the sound is very different from one HB in the 'MM' position - though not exactly 'hollow' like a Jazz, these are monstrous pickups! Having said that, the bridge pickup on the L2000 etc still sounds quite fat on its own, but not as fat (phat?) as on the L1505. I used to own a Tribute L2000 (now belongs to dr_skitz of this forum) so I am accustomed to its workings, and the USA model that I tried in the shop (as pictured above) was not far different to that in the available sounds.
[/quote]

Ah I see, that's kind of what I guessed. I've got two sandberg basic ken taylor 5s at the moment, and I do love 'em, but I've been gassing for a single 'bucker version again recently just to scratch that itch! Maybe I'll be selling one then.....

Thanks for the info, and apologies for 'jacking your thread! :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1375100468' post='2156638']

That'll be somewhat like this one then:

[/quote]

very similar

It would be mine, but the incompetent fools at the Euromillions keep picking the wrong numbers.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1375134902' post='2157220']
Congrats matey! That bass was mine for a little while, bought on a whim and traded along with my pjb six pack for a new rig. Glad it's come back to bc and gone to a good home!
[/quote]
Wahey! PM'd with a couple of Qs!

I had the 4 string version of this bass, the L-1500 for a few years and had a USA L-2000 at the same time. The 2 pickup bass could not cut through like the single pick up one or be made to sound like it from my experience.
The L-1500 was probably the hottest sounding bass I've owned. I used it mostly with the switches set to passive and series and with the treble backed off a fair bit.

Congratulations on the bass. It looks lovely!

• 2 weeks later...