Why become a member? ×

Micro/Mini amps that can have the pre-amp fully bypassed.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I just had to get rid of my Ampeg PF-500 for some emergency funds until pay day. I loved it because I could fully bypass the preamp on the amp so I can use my Sansamp instead.

Looking at the Mibass and Little Giant and all they appear to have FX returns instead of a dedicated pre-amp in (Though the LG has a Line IN, will that be the same?). I am looking at the cheaper end of the market (Around 200-300) second hand. Need at least 400 watts at 4ohms,

So is there anything out there for that cheap with fully defeatable Pre-amp?

Will be paired with a Barefaced 12T

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 / 6.2?

Has a serial FX loop. I use mine as a power amp with my Line 6 Pod when I'm playing guitar. I just turn the preamp controls down to zero...

and having just looked at the manual, the FX Return is intended to be used as a POWER AMP IN as well.

[url="http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/stl6.2_manual.pdf"]http://www.genzbenz.com/img/manuals/gb/stl6.2_manual.pdf[/url]

Yep another shuttler here, I use the return from my Fishman pro when using the upright bass as the two together are not great, the Genz on its own is actually OK for DB but you dont get the features of the Fishman. I have never tried the aux in Alex would it be any different? Also I cant see an amp liking a power amp fed into the return, how much can you put in there without blowing something? Sorry I am not very clued up with the holes on the rear panel of most amps :)

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1374793728' post='2153459']
Hey guys.

I just had to get rid of my Ampeg PF-500 for some emergency funds until pay day. I loved it because I could fully bypass the preamp on the amp so I can use my Sansamp instead.

Looking at the Mibass and Little Giant and all they appear to have FX returns instead of a dedicated pre-amp in (Though the LG has a Line IN, will that be the same?). I am looking at the cheaper end of the market (Around 200-300) second hand. Need at least 400 watts at 4ohms,

So is there anything out there for that cheap with fully defeatable Pre-amp?

Will be paired with a Barefaced 12T
[/quote]

The mibass (and most other ashdowns) has a button that switches off the pre amp. Would that be any good for you.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1374864426' post='2154307']
The mibass (and most other ashdowns) has a button that switches off the pre amp. Would that be any good for you.
[/quote]
Does it not just switch off the EQ? (not had a mi bass but from memory my ABM only had an EQ switch) you will still get the valve grind or whatever it is called on each model and the actual preamp's own tone rather than just using the power amp stage to amplify whatever it is you have put into the FX return (if you have one).

I appreciate it's not entirely answering your question, but i thought i'd throw an idea in to the mix. On Friday I filmed a review of a Matrix power amp that is 'optimised for guitar processors'. The company i've known about for many years but i gotta say the GT1600 amp, simply driven from a normal preamp pedal sounded girthsome and certainly loud!
1.6KW and 5 Kg. The thing i reaally liked was that as a high output power amp, it was still much shorter than a shallow rack case. About 22cm deep. My thinking is that this could be an option instead of a bass head with the pre bypassed?