Why become a member? ×

Hartke LH500 Actice or Passive Input

hardie6210

Hi Guyz my first post so be kind.

I have a Hartke LH500 and noticed the other night when I plugged in My 2010 USA Fender Deluxe P Bass (2 x 9v Batteries), accidently into the Passive input it was much louder than when I pulg it into the active input, and just sounds better? Am I harming the amp in anyway? Will there be any issues? Why do they have the 2 separate inputs? (I'm no tech head just a player)

Can I say I love the LH500!!!!!!!!

I'm a Blues and Rock Player.

Welcome to basschat.
Generally speaking, active basses have higher output than passive basses, but that's more of a rule of thumb, rather than a cast iron rule.

An active input simply 'pads' the signal to compensate for the higher output of the active bass. If you prefer the sound of the bass through the passive input, go for it. The LH500 has a valve preamp, and it's probable that you are just overdriving the preamp valve and reaping the sonic rewards.

Edited by Roland Rock

Welcome, there's a sticky in this section about gain,volume and power which might be worth a read. Basically you are just using a bit moire gain in the input but then still using the gain and volume controls to control the overall sound level. It's possible that you might introduce some distortion but if you like that sound then go for it. There's an outside chance you might damage a tweeter horn by feeding a dirtier signal but that is pretty remote and would happen with any dirty signal

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1374746291' post='2152633']
The LH500 has a valve preamp, and it's probable that you are just overdriving the preamp valve and reaping the sonic rewards.
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know if this is the case.

No matter what I put into my LH500 (clean gain wise - pre-amp, boosted EQ pedal etc. obviously dirt/distortion pedals etc are a different story) it just pumps out oodles of clean lovliness.

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1374758366' post='2152862']
I'd be interested to know if this is the case.

No matter what I put into my LH500 (clean gain wise - pre-amp, boosted EQ pedal etc. obviously dirt/distortion pedals etc are a different story) it just pumps out oodles of clean lovliness.
[/quote]

Especially if you replace the 12AX7 with a 5751..... :D

G.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1374919741' post='2154754']
Especially if you replace the 12AX7 with a 5751..... :D

[/quote]

Interesting.... but as someone who knows nothing about valve technology, what does this actually mean? :huh:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376397185' post='2173279']
Interesting.... but as someone who knows nothing about valve technology, what does this actually mean? :huh:
[/quote]

Its just different preamp valves. The 5751 generally has a bit more "headroom", meaning you get a cleaner tone at a higher volume than with the 12ax7.
On a personal note, I used the LH500 for years, before going back to all valve heads with Orange. On my amp, I found that the passive channel was very susceptible to signal input and would sag quite badly if I put a hot signal through it. Maybe it was just my amp.....

Edited by mart3442

I tend to run all basses through their more "appropriate" input channel - actives through the active channel, passives through the passive... and I've never had a problem, even with my 18V Status with full bass and treble boost. But my newest bass (to me, anyway!), the Spector, seems to cause distortion on the active channel :(

There are a few things that could be causing this I guess, and the easiest fix is the one that I am about to go and do - put a new Duracell into the active preamp! But if that doesn't sort it, could it be that the output of this bass is just too hot for the preamp valve in my LH500? If so, would there be any value in changing it for a valve with more headroom (like the 5751 mentioned above)? Are Spectors known for having a particularly high output?

I'm rehearsing tonight so will get a chance to see if the new battery solves the problem. I hope it does! B)

i havent got the 500/1000 (yet!) but from what have read everywhere on the boards here the hartke preamps are designed and specced to remain clean

i have the 2500 head and it will not dirty even with the preamp up at 10 in fact i regularly run it flat out with pre and master at 10 and it stays clean all the time (the only way to get it to dirty is to turn both the A and B preamps up together but hartke do advise against this in the handbook iirc)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376471556' post='2174259']
I tend to run all basses through their more "appropriate" input channel - actives through the active channel, passives through the passive... and I've never had a problem, even with my 18V Status with full bass and treble boost. But my newest bass (to me, anyway!), the Spector, seems to cause distortion on the active channel :(

There are a few things that could be causing this I guess, and the easiest fix is the one that I am about to go and do - put a new Duracell into the active preamp! But if that doesn't sort it, could it be that the output of this bass is just too hot for the preamp valve in my LH500? If so, would there be any value in changing it for a valve with more headroom (like the 5751 mentioned above)? Are Spectors known for having a particularly high output?

I'm rehearsing tonight so will get a chance to see if the new battery solves the problem. I hope it does! B)
[/quote]

I have an LH500 and a Spector Euro with the adjustable tonepump - I had to use the active input (all my other basses are fine with the passive input even though they have hot outputs) as the Spector was distorting the input quite severely. I changed to an EMG BQS preamp (which has noticeably less output) and now use the passive input on the amp quite happily. Its the mental output of the Tonepump that's causing your issue. You can adjust it down but it seems to take the grit out when you do so.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376471556' post='2174259']

[/quote]
I run my Spectors fairly hot but I've never had that problem. Reduce the preamp output using the internal trim pot back to 55% - 60% and it should be fine.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1376494738' post='2174877']
I run my Spectors fairly hot but I've never had that problem. Reduce the preamp output using the internal trim pot back to 55% - 60% and it should be fine.
[/quote]

Ah yes, but mine doesn't have the internal trim pot! :unsure:

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1376515276' post='2175445']
In that case bring the bass and treble down to just above zero on the instrument and boost each only slightly. You shouldn't need to run the EQ on the bass at full...
[/quote]

I don't run them on full, but I probably do use a bit more boost than you are suggesting - so yes, I will try that too!

Having said that, it was much better last night with the new battery! :rolleyes: Always try the easiest fix first! :D