Why become a member? ×

Soundbars vs bookshelf speakers...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374518200' post='2149645']

Glad to hear you are using stands , Ray . Those BW's are a quality speaker and deserve to be head at their best . If you see a REL Quake sub , or, even better , a REL Stampede , going on Ebay for reasonable money then they are a great bet . REL subs stand out because they are equally good for music in a stereo system as they are for home cinema , and are specifically designed to be so . Those models I mention are from the mid 2000's and although now discontinued were fantastic products that have become classics in their own right . Either would serve you well in your flat and , although small and unobtrusive in size , would be ample for your needs . It also helps that REL are a Britsh company that can help with spares and servicing , if the need arises .
[/quote]

I 'll check them out for sure.thanks ;)

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1374529944' post='2149879']
Huh? Is he wrong or right?
[/quote]

He is not wrong in what he is stating . There is no double negative . So he's right . He began by asking " am I wrong ...?" , and I told him no , he's not wrong .

I acquired a nearly new but second hand Yamaha soundbar and sub unit from evilbay a few years ago (about £300 instead of £1200+) and it's perfectly seviceable - definitely not as good without the sub though. I don't watch humungus amounts of TV anyway so not too bothered about the ultimate in TV hifi speakeriness.

This thread is very interesting as I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a soundbar.
At the moment I have a separates system with the TV/DVD & Sky unit through that. the only issue I have is that the speakers are at one end of the room & the TV is at the other. If I have the TV sound on & the speakers there seems to be a slight delay in the sound, its very small but just enough to make it sound odd.

The only way I can make it work it by turning the TV right down but the delay is a little annoying. So I was thinking that a soundbar would be a good way of sorting this.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1374564820' post='2150063']
This thread is very interesting as I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a soundbar.
At the moment I have a separates system with the TV/DVD & Sky unit through that. the only issue I have is that the speakers are at one end of the room & the TV is at the other. If I have the TV sound on & the speakers there seems to be a slight delay in the sound, its very small but just enough to make it sound odd.

The only way I can make it work it by turning the TV right down but the delay is a little annoying. So I was thinking that a soundbar would be a good way of sorting this.
[/quote]

I don't know what amplifier or TV you have, but some have a lip-sync feature to help sort out the delay. As you say you are using your separates system I assume you have a hi-fi amplifier and not an AV one so the amplifier would be unlikely to have this feature, but it might be worth checking your tv.

With regards to the soundbar vs bookshelf, i think it's all been said already, if you have a good set of bookshelf speakers, i'd definitely stick with those.

Cheers,

Tom