Why become a member? ×

Thumb Rest

aceuggy

Recently started playing the bass and I'm just sort of trying to find my way of playing. At the moment I've just been resting my thumb on the pup, but it's beginning to get a bit sore as it's quite sharp around the edge and where it's screwed on. I've seen these thumb rests and wondered if anyone uses them, would recommend using one or should I just persevere and my thumb will toughen up, a bit like your fingers on your fretting hand.

I Think using a thumb rest is a personal preference, i dont use one as i use the pickup for my rest but as you progress you will start resting your thumb on the string above the one your playing, ie, if your playing the G you would rest on the D and so on and so forth,all this will come with practice but if you want to try the rest then go for it,maybe it will suit you.

I have a finger rest (like a thumb rest, but on the treble side of the strings) on five of my vintage style fenders just for the 60s vibe, but never use them to play thumb-plucky style. I do use chrome pickup covers over the strings on my precisions and jazz which I like to rest my hand on jamerson-style (the word [i]style [/i]used in its loosest sense) to play.

Once when I had a precision I moved the thumb rest to where a jazz pickup would normally be, and used that, but that's the only time I've ever used one.

I don't pick that far back any more anyway because I'm old. :) Actually I tend to rest more on the strings now than I used to, and retire to the front pup when playing the E.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I'm used to resting my thumb on a P pickup when playing the E string, and when I got my Hohner cricket bat I found the thin pickup surrounds (EMG select humbuckers) uncomfortable, so I cut bits of plastic to fit on the top edge to provide a wider shelf for my thumb.
I've also put similar bits on my Warmoth P and Yamaha RBX270F to sit between the p pickup and the bridge J.

I'm not too keen on using pickups as thumb rests - it tends to distract me into just playing in one position, rather than moving my right hand to wherever sounds best. Tend to use the next string down as a rest unless I'm playing the lowest one, in which case I'll just drop the thumb somewhere nearby on the scratchplate and anchor off that.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='215643' date='Jun 9 2008, 07:33 PM']Recently started playing the bass and I'm just sort of trying to find my way of playing. At the moment I've just been resting my thumb on the pup, but it's beginning to get a bit sore as it's quite sharp around the edge and where it's screwed on.[/quote]

File or sand the sharp bit on the pickup to make it smoother. Or keep playing for a few years, and eventually your thumb will do the same thing.

Jennifer

[quote name='aceuggy' post='215643' date='Jun 9 2008, 07:33 PM']Recently started playing the bass and I'm just sort of trying to find my way of playing. At the moment I've just been resting my thumb on the pup, but it's beginning to get a bit sore as it's quite sharp around the edge and where it's screwed on. I've seen these thumb rests and wondered if anyone uses them, would recommend using one or should I just persevere and my thumb will toughen up, a bit like your fingers on your fretting hand.[/quote]
Just rest your thumb gently don't push it into the pickup. When you've been playing a bit longer you can try to move your thumb around as you play, between the pickup, the 4th or even 3rd strings.

[quote name='markytbass' post='215738' date='Jun 9 2008, 09:25 PM']I tend to rest my thumb on the end of the neck, I did try a thumb rest but it got in the way. But like the others have said its personal preference and if it feels comfortable.[/quote]

Tried that last night and what a revelation! It felt very comfortable, I prefer the sound you get and I think it looks cool too. Result! :huh: Why didn't I think of it? DOH!. So thank you for that. Thanks also for all your feedback, it's great to be able to pick your brains and feed off your experience. :)

[quote name='stoo' post='215810' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:50 PM']I'm not too keen on using pickups as thumb rests - it tends to distract me into just playing in one position, rather than moving my right hand to wherever sounds best. Tend to use the next string down as a rest unless I'm playing the lowest one, in which case I'll just drop the thumb somewhere nearby on the scratchplate and anchor off that.[/quote]

me too

The thumb rest on my semi-fretless was really big and close to the strings so it made it pretty much impossible to slap, so I threw it away. :) I don't like thumb rests anyway. My thumb's useful for muting the lower strings, and resting it on something would just anchor my hand to one playing position, which I wouldn't like at all. Anyway, I was under the impression that you can get carpal tunnel from resting your thumb?!