Why become a member? ×

Options for a Nitro finished Fender?

njr911

For some reason I have it in my head that my next bass must be nitro finished.

So what options does this give me ?

I'll be buying second hand so not too important if it's been discontinued.

Nitro Finished Fenders -

Roadworn (Jazz isn't in coustom colours which is a shame)
Classic Series (unworn roadworns)
USA 62RI (there's a lovely LPB one in the for sale section)
Vintage (a bit out of my price range)
Bravewood/Nash/Bitsa custom build

Any others ?

Some of the Highway Ones were nitro, pretty affordable too and the specifications look good. Never seemed to be hugely popular for some reason.

Here's some: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167575-show-your-fender-highway/page__hl__highway"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167575-show-your-fender-highway/page__hl__highway[/url]

Edited by Fat Rich

I don't think the classic series are Nitro. If we are talking about the same classic series (MIM).

The two I played were very thick poly finish.

As suggested, highway ones, a good bass for a good price if you can source one second hand.

The new American Special series has a wood stained finish which I played recently and is rather nice.

Aside from that you can do what I did, and buy a very nice example of the bass you want second hand and refinish it in Nitro. I'm an idiot, and I managed to do it. However I was going for the worn look. If I'd been aiming for a flawless finish I would have ballsed it right up.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1373905284' post='2142954']
I don't think the classic series are Nitro. If we are talking about the same classic series (MIM). The two I played were very thick poly finish.

Aside from that you can do what I did, and buy a very nice example of the bass you want second hand and refinish it in Nitro. I'm an idiot, and I managed to do it. However I was going for the worn look. If I'd been aiming for a flawless finish I would have ballsed it right up.
[/quote]

Spot on on both points. The Classics are great basses, but nuclear-bomb-resistant poly. A pro-refin would be about £300, though by some careful searching it is possible to get it for less.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1373905284' post='2142954']
I don't think the classic series are Nitro. If we are talking about the same classic series (MIM).

The two I played were very thick poly finish.

As suggested, highway ones, a good bass for a good price if you can source one second hand.

The new American Special series has a wood stained finish which I played recently and is rather nice.

[/quote]
My 2013 60s classic jazz bass is definitely nitro finish.

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1373906553' post='2142976']
The newer MIM Classic series have a nitro finish.
[/quote]

There's a relatively new nitro-finished MIM P Bass called the 50's P Bass Laquer. It's only available in black but comes with a tweed case. The other non-worn 50's Classics do not have a nitro finish.

Try this link and see what you think
[left][url="http://www.caraguitars.com/fullerplast.htm"]http://www.caraguita...fullerplast.htm[/url][/left]

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=4][color=#1597CF][b]it's Polyester not Polyurethane![/b][/color][/size][/font]
[left][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][size=4][color=#1597CF][b]Fenders Dirty Little Secret -
The Plastic Coating of Guitars since 1963[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][b]Fact:[/b]
All Fender Guitars made since 1963 are Polyester coated. Lacquer is put on top of the poly to satisfy the general publics belief that Nitro Cellulose (nitro) Lacquer finished guitars "breathe", "dry" and generally have become the bottom line for creating great tome. I'm talking USA, Vintage collectable instruments that the general public has bought, traded, and sold for over 50 years. They came from the Fender factor with a hard plastic jacket underneath it. A suffocating wolf, masquerading under a cloak of Lacquer Fender later switched to 100% Poly and UltraViolet cured Resin on Squire, Mexican, Japanese, some USA and all other imports till this day.

[b]Fact:[/b]
The two-part catalyzed coating named "Fullerplast" (Fuller for Fuller O'Brien, the products creator, and plast for the obvious PLASTIC"), solved all of Fenders finishing problems; encasing the deep wood pores in a self-hardening plastic that wrapped the body in a rock-hard solid coffin. In some cases we have found it to be as thick as a.060 string. Yes, all of the wood moisture and characteristics are sealed in a virtual time-capsule, only to be vented from the body through screw holes and paint fractures. Share this info and be the hit of your next guitar gathering![/size][/font]
[/left]
[left][font=Verdana][size=2][b]Fact:[/b]
Fender rarely mentions Fullerplast, or the way it prepares its bodies before applying Lacquer. If they mention it at all
So, when someone tells you that a Fender "nitro-cellulose" or "nitro" finished guitar will sound better, have more warmth, or will dry out... they really don't have the full story.

Ask any seasoned guitar craftsman what happens when you will apply paint stripper to a Fender "nitro" finish. [/size][/font][/left]

Edited by bumnote

I'd try a Nitro guitar first, I found it an awfully 'crumbly' finish that marks extremely easily - I hear no difference between nitro & poly.

[size=4]I like to look after my stuff obsessively, so I prefer poly because it doesn't mark up, stays looking new & is much less sticky on my hands/forearm - no dings!! So holds the (modern) instrument's value better.[/size]

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1373921566' post='2143288']
I'd try a Nitro guitar first, I found it an awfully 'crumbly' finish that marks extremely easily - I hear no difference between nitro & poly.

[size=4]I like to look after my stuff obsessively, so I prefer poly because it doesn't mark up, stays looking new & is much less sticky on my hands/forearm - no dings!! So holds the (modern) instrument's value better.[/size]
[/quote]

I had an original finish 1961 Jazzmaster in Olympic White with gold hardware and it was just a lovely thing. Properly roadworn, with dings marks, lots of finish wear and it just felt like it had lived.

I want to start to recreate this with my next bass.

I foolishly sold the Jazzmaster for peanuts in the mid 1990's :(

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1373919695' post='2143237']

There's a relatively new nitro-finished MIM P Bass called the 50's P Bass Laquer. It's only available in black but comes with a tweed case. The other non-worn 50's Classics do not have a nitro finish.
[/quote]

Yep, they're part of the Classic series - a P and a J with nitro.

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1373989999' post='2143936']
Yep, they're part of the Classic series - a P and a J with nitro.
[/quote]

I think, for the P bass at least, it's just in black though isn't it? I would have the thought the 2tsb and fiesta red ones were the biggest sellers in the range, and therefore deserved the nitro finish.

As I stated somewhere before, I definitely have a MiM Fender 60s Jazz bass non road worn in nitro, sunburst, came with a hardshell tweed case, new about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Lovely instrument, sounds and feels better than my 2008 US standard J. Quite a rare beast at the moment, though, I just struck lucky.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1374006586' post='2144230']
As I stated somewhere before, I definitely have a MiM Fender 60s Jazz bass non road worn in nitro, sunburst, came with a hardshell tweed case, new about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Lovely instrument, sounds and feels better than my 2008 US standard J. Quite a rare beast at the moment, though, I just struck lucky.
[/quote]

This is correct. We've got the '60s Classic series jazz bass (with the nitro finish) hanging on the wall in our shop :) They do the black '50s classic series precision bass in nitro now too.

[quote name='pobrien_ie' timestamp='1373990519' post='2143946']
I think, for the P bass at least, it's just in black though isn't it? I would have the thought the 2tsb and fiesta red ones were the biggest sellers in the range, and therefore deserved the nitro finish.
[/quote]
Aye - it's a great pity that Fender doesn't match the colour range of the poly-coated models, given that they already do them in the Roadworn series. I owned a poly-coated sunburst model a few years ago and couldn't fault it. Perhaps they're for 2014! ;)

I've got no opinion on what difference a Nitro finished guitar makes to tone, but I do know the Nitro finished P basses I have are very much like Nitro instruments are described as being, warm, resonant, let the wood breathe, etc. How much of this is positive reinforcement I don't know, but the Roadworn in particular sounds amazing unplugged, very loud and warm and full. Plugged in I wouldn't like to comment.

For feel, though, it's Nitro all the way for me now. They just seem so much better in your hands and under your arms. Very comfortable. Not cold, hard and sticky, like poly.

The Classic MIM stuff is available in both poly and lacquer finish: [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses?series=classic"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/basses?series=classic[/url]

You could get 10 basses, all the same spec and they would all feel and sound different. Don't discount a particular finish type, you might really like a bass somewhere out there in that finish!