Why become a member? ×

What amps have 'growl' or just, suited to heavy rock/metal situations?

Adam.M

My experience in the amp field when it comes to guitars is massive, but on bass, well, i've never needed an amp before! and now i do...

At first i was thinking an Ashdown MAG300 head with a 4x10T cab, would be good for what i want?

I use a Squire VMJ with Marcus Miller fat beams btw, getting a great sound through my stealth plug/guitar rig 3 set up.

I want low end, but not too boomy, with a nice growl and a good top end when the bass is on its own.

An inbuilt compressor is probably a must, i use one in my stealthplug set-up.

The only bass amp i ever tried was a Ashdown MAG300 4x10T combo, which i think had the sound, but you know that was a long time ago and memories sometimes shift for the better...

(im off work sick today so if i make little sence, well, im really ill :) )

Oh and do ashdown still make the MAG 414T 4ohm cab? we have little space in the van and only having one cab would be massively benificial. financially it'd help too! thomann say they have them but ashdowns own website has no mention... marshall do a massively powerful 4ohm cab but it's ugly as sin.

[quote name='Adam.M' post='215472' date='Jun 9 2008, 02:59 PM']My experience in the amp field when it comes to guitars is massive, but on bass, well, i've never needed an amp before! and now i do...

I want low end, but not too boomy, with a nice growl and a good top end when the bass is on its own.

An inbuilt compressor is probably a must, i use one in my stealthplug set-up.[/quote]

You seem to have decided on solid state; have you ruled out a Hiwatt or Ampeg valve amp? Heavier and more expensive (and you won't get a built-in compressor, but you're less likely to need one) but maybe the best way to get the classic rock sound.

Or an Ampeg SVP preamp with a juicy solid state power amp, highly praised by a fair few players here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=21110&view=findpost&p=215225"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=215225[/url]

"...absolutely awesome. It covered the subtle sections admirably (even without a compressor) and then tore the face off everything in the rockier stuff. It has the real growl of the SVT's that I love, and bit through two guitars, keyboards, synths, and the drummer."

Pretty much what I thought of it.

Edited by bremen

If you don't wanna change your current set up, grab a pedal, like a sansamp BDDI, or the MXR M-80.. or one of DHA's nice valve driven pedals. Head over to his affiliate forum for more details.

I run an ultra clean amp set up and use the M80 and BDDI to get the dirt I want for rock and metal.

The new Genz-benz shuttle 6.0 might fit the bill it's tiny, under 4lbs! 600w with a valve preamp a few of us here have them on order from Bass direct ( on this forum) give it a week or so and look out for the reviews

Look at the gear the guys that influence you use. Most rock acts use Ampeg, Ashdown, Mesa, GK, etc. Even if its not what you actually hear its still an indicator of the sound they like. Have a look at the endorsee pages and signature models on the amp makers website can give you an indication. Go all valve if you have the dosh. The Gallery site is a good place to start as they have links to all the makers sites.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I think i may go for the GK GT400RBIV or an Ashdown MAG 300 EVO II... my two favourite bassists use GK though, but the big big GK, i hope i can get some of that vibe out of a lower wattage unit...

now to find a 4ohm 4x10, marshall do one...

[quote name='Adam.M' post='215846' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:53 PM']What about Warwick amp heads? they look good for the money... the pro fet V, but will it not deliver the tone im after? i could dirty it up a bit with pedals, i just got a fulltone fat boost which may help...[/quote]
i have a protube IX it definatly growls, i'd look into getting a something with a tube preamp atleast if you want some proper growl solid states just don't seem to do it.

[quote name='Adam.M' post='215864' date='Jun 10 2008, 12:34 AM']Maybe i should just get something cheap and cheery, and save up for a Gallien Krueger GT2001RB... :)[/quote]
well you could buy my warwick protube IX if you want 900watts into two channels can do pretty much anything you want it to.

Dare I say it, I've tried a ton of stuff in my past and the happiest I've been soundwise is through a POD into the effects return on [i]any[/i] amp. I know this kind of bucks the trend of a simple amp/cab set up.

All I ever wanted was to get was to get that Geddy Lee clank or a Mike Starr/AiC kind of sound. The POD comes very close at the turn of a dial. Very close.

P

Depending on your budget, I'd happily recommend Eden amps (Obviously :)), they carry a signature growly tone and when combined with the right bass you end up with a large tonal palette to play with, and alot of the tones are just growl heaven. If anything to me, they are like GK but have more to them and are more simplistic as well. And like Gk, I've seen Eden amps used in many different genres and do the job perfectly. For example, Jeph Howard from The Used was one of the players that got me itching for an Eden rig.

But as Bass_Ferret said, if you love the tone of your favourite bassist, research their backline and see if it can work for you as well.

[quote]Maybe i should just get something cheap and cheery, and save up for a Gallien Krueger GT2001RB... smile.gif[/quote]

I did the same thing man, and it is a great feeling when you get the amp you've wanted for a while.

Edited by Josh

Buy the Trace Elliot V-Type head that's on here and now on ebay - Golder7 I beleive is the seller? 2 preamp valves for all the growl you'll need :)

EDIT: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20241"]here it is![/url]

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Adam.M' post='215830' date='Jun 9 2008, 11:30 PM']Thanks for the replies guys :)

I think i may go for the GK GT400RBIV or an Ashdown MAG 300 EVO II... my two favourite bassists use GK though, but the big big GK, i hope i can get some of that vibe out of a lower wattage unit...

now to find a 4ohm 4x10, marshall do one...[/quote]

You may not need to get the bigger GK, in fact a lower wattage unit might suit you better depending on the size of gigs you play. This is an extract from [url="http://www.instituteofbass.com/archive/product_spotlight/gallien_krueger/"]this interview with GK's founder[/url] which might help you:

"When a power amp puts out as much power as it is capable of producing, that is referred to as "hitting the rails." The way our amps go in and out of the rails is very different to how other manufacturer's amps react. Sometimes you will hear guys talk about "the G-K growl." If a bassist is used to playing an 800RB, he'll know exactly where he needs to place the controls on his amp to get that G-K growl. If he then moves to the 1001RB-II which puts out over twice as much power as the 800RB, he'll have to play his amp much louder to get that same type of growl. I have found that this is one of the biggest things that bassists have to learn in moving to a more powerful amplifier. If you want to maintain the classic G-K growl and don't need to play at loud volumes, then you definitely want to stick with a lower powered amplifier so it is easier for you to hit the rails."

Regards,
Steve.

Said it before and I'll say it again.
Peavey T-max if you can get one. They're pretty darn cheap and sound amazing. Tube Pre-amp with a SS power amp which can be blended or seperated for as much growl as you want. Just whatever you do dont blow the irreplacable transformer like i did!

On the More expensive end, I'm playing a Marshall VBA 400 all tube amp. Pretty simple design and plently of growl.
I also used a Sunn 1200s which was a Solid state/tube hybrid which sounded amazing, was loud as sin. Good while it lasted.