Why become a member? ×

Noise disturbance. Does your bass playing effect, neighbours, friends, family? How do you deal with it?

SevenSeas

The only way to really soundproof a room is to build a room within a room. Its the "dead" air in between the walls that soaks up the sound.

I bought a load of proper foam soundproofing tiles and stuck them to my walls. They are egg box shaped. They have made sod all difference. The insert I made for the window seems to work not too badly. Its just annoying the room I use for our rehearsals is too small for me to make a room within a room because we are pretty tightly squeezed as it is :blink:

A few years ago I had the perfect solution: my friends and I shared a house on the end of a street looking out onto a main road. South London's Bricklayer's Arms Roundabout, no less - anyone who's lived down that way will be familiar with the "Walworth Lullaby" of periodic sirens and ceaseless traffic.

But this basically meant there were certain rooms which were as good as sonically insulated from our neighbours. I could play bass without fear of disturbing, or we could recline in the living room with some fine beers at our feet and Hawkwind blasting through my friend's none-too-powerful stereo.

I do kind of miss that place...

I'll be honest, I barely crank the volume at home. I normally work with my headphones, and then save the volume stuff for the odd occasion or when jamming with friends.

I'll admit, my neighbours are now a little elderly, so their hearing has more issues than just my playing - but it's still simply a case of being a little sensitive to what's going on. If they have friends over or are taking a nap outside, it might not be the time to discover if the amp really goes go up to 11!

I think I've struck lucky really, at home I live in an edwardian period terraced house, so big, high rooms which means the sound travels easily. Luckily my neighbours on both sides are also musical, although one side is more karaoke based. So really, they don't really mind and there've been instances where jamming has happened through the walls :lol:

At my flat though it's a different story, multistorey with VERY thin walls, I don't practise through an amp as much there as I've had my fair share of noise complaints. I do live right below a musician though and he makes a hell of a lot of noise!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1373807305' post='2141780']
This.

I had new neighbours (live in a semi and its the attached house) move in at Easter.
I went around and said I was a bassist and to let me know if the sound is a problem as I'd look at soundproofing.

When I checked a few weeks back they said they only hear me occasionally but it doesn't bother them at all.

However, I don't play on the weekends until after 10am and always finish playing by 8pm in the evenings.
[/quote]

Apart from being about next door's tele, its all about communication. My two sons play too, bass and drums, we are an amazingly noisy family. The wife dropped a note into all neighbours to say to let us know if there's any problem. We've also asked on many occasions to give them the opportunity but they have all been ok, except for next door in one direction.

The drums were the problem, so my wife and I sat on our next door neighbour's couch with our hands between our knees and came to an agreement with them, 6.00pm cut off. This was fine, he was home from school well before that. When there's an agreement people know what to expect and when it will end.

There have been a few moments, both in summer, when the windows have been left open mistakenly and the (justifiable in my opinion) wrath of the now angry neighbour was brought to bear but he gets over it and things back to normal once its stopped.

We've had gymn mats, sheets of 1"ply, all sorts on the floor to try and cut down the noise, in the end they were happiest when he set up in the extension on the concrete floor. Although physically nearer the sound carried a lot less. We've learnt not to take the mickey and respect their tele habits and not to make a noise their side in the evenings. They have been amazingly tolerant otherwise.

However, I still resent someone's tele holding sway over someone else's musical practice.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1374167607' post='2146081']
However, I still resent someone's tele holding sway over someone else's musical practice.
[/quote]
Why? It's all noise, one isn't inherently better than the other.
Some people like to play music, some people like to watch TV, and they're all a pain in the arse if they do it too loud.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1374173928' post='2146165']
Some people like to play music, some people like to watch TV, and they're all a pain in the arse if they do it too loud.
[/quote]

It's not the noise from both, rather the assumption that the music has to stop because the all important tele may be disturbed. The tele, now indirectly disturbing the music.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1374177454' post='2146219']
It's not the noise from both, rather the assumption that the music has to stop because the all important tele may be disturbed. The tele, now indirectly disturbing the music.
[/quote]

Is the telly loud enough to disturb you? If not, then I think you may need to readjust the level of your playing field.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1374177454' post='2146219']
[/quote]

It's not really about the tele though is it? The point, surely, is that your neighbours should have the right not to have to hear [u]anything[/u] that you get up to if they don't want to. You're forcing them to hear stuff that they would rather not hear and therefore disturbing their peace. Not really fair is it?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1374167607' post='2146081']
[/quote]

Whilst I take all the above points about their telly not exactly being loud enough to disturb you in return...I agree, your sons' music practice is more constructive and potentially important to their future development (career, even?) than the angry neighbours' being able to vegetate in front of Eastenders. Not that this is a line of argument you should try with any neighbours!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1374173928' post='2146165']
[/quote]

+1

I used to live in a flat. If you live in a flat, you have to expect a bit of noise, although, if it becomes too much, you can complain. I am lucky, I now live in a detached house. If you want to not hear the neighbours, buy a detached house end of. I'm sorry, but anything else constitutes noise pollution and is readily complained about. If you have a detached house and get complaints, then you really are being a sh*tty neighbour!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374226851' post='2146576']
It's not really about the tele though is it? The point, surely, is that your neighbours should have the right not to have to hear [u]anything[/u] that you get up to if they don't want to. You're forcing them to hear stuff that they would rather not hear and therefore disturbing their peace. Not really fair is it?
[/quote]

The problem hasn't arisen as it's been managed as described, but that's the point, what you've said is obvious, what isn't so obvious is their tele is forcing issues in my household, and always seems to be used as the measure; 'well, I could hear it above the tele", as if that's the worst possible thing that could happen.

(Other neighbours' comments are more along the lines, 'well we can sometimes hear it but it never goes on for long, how is getting on now?'

Why does it matter that they complain because they can't hear their tv? Surely it's the fact that they can hear you practice at all that's the crux of the matter?

Would you be less upset if they complained because you were disturbing their reading of war and peace? Or if they were trying to write an opera? Or a PhD thesis?

I don't see that their lifestyle has any particular relevance to the disturbance you're obviously causing them. They're not disturbing you are they? (well, apart from their complaints about your noise of course).

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1374516072' post='2149616']
The problem hasn't arisen as it's been managed as described, but that's the point, what you've said is obvious, what isn't so obvious is their tele is forcing issues in my household, and always seems to be used as the measure; 'well, I could hear it above the tele", as if that's the worst possible thing that could happen.
[/quote]

If I could hear someone next door practising drums loud enough to be heard over the telly, I would think they were being antisocial bastards. As flyfisher says, it's not what they're doing. Just think of the telly as a calibration of sound level and extraneous noises as going from inaudible = acceptable to louder than the telly = unacceptable. And please, don't ever move in next to me.

The fact is, if you are making noise that is annoying someone else , its noise pollution. No matter what time it is, if you have a genuine complaint, then the cops will act. If you say oh but there telly is annoying me then its down to tit for tat and the cops would most likely leave you both to it with a warning to keep it down. If it kept on, I suppose they would take your noise making devices away from you :o

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1374523439' post='2149739']
I don't see that their lifestyle has any particular relevance to the disturbance you're obviously causing them. They're not disturbing you are they? (well, apart from their complaints about your noise of course).
[/quote]

Yes, their tele is hindering our music