Why become a member? ×

Squier classic vibe modification ideas?

marcus bell

If you're talking about the CV '60s Precision, then the [b]Axesrus[/b] "1960-Modern Pickguards" fit perfectly - the only thing I had to do was file the pup cutouts so they were slightly larger, but that may be 'cos the bass has Wizard Thumpers instead of the standard pups.

[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/1960-Modern-Precision-Bass-Pickguard-p/modernpbasspg.htm"]http://www.axesrus.co.uk/1960-Modern-Precision-Bass-Pickguard-p/modernpbasspg.htm[/url]

Their Precision Bass Bridge Cover also fits well...

[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Precision-Bass-Bridge-Cover-p/pbassbridgecover.htm"]http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Precision-Bass-Bridge-Cover-p/pbassbridgecover.htm[/url]

Don't know about tuners, sorry.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1373514779' post='2138474']
The tuners on mine are just fine. In fact, everything is just fine. What's the point of getting a good bass at a great price to wind up spending hundreds of dollars more?
[/quote]

All very true, but for some, GAS and modding are enjoyable and expensive pastimes devoid of logic :-)

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1373528454' post='2138530']
Apparently the tuners have a rattle
[/quote]

When i got my CV Jazz i had a rattle as well. It turned out the soldering wasn't up to scratch on the clover leaf part, and there was a very small gap between it and the shaft. This caused it to vibrate against the shaft. I bit of super glue cured this and its been fine ever since.

I also changed the pick guard for a black one, on both my CV's (from Axesrus, as Tony has said). I found them to be a perfect fit, and didn't need to file anything on the Jazz, but did on the P (again, like Tony i had a Thumper in mine and the case is just that bit bigger, this was true with the stock PG as well though).
Ive also got a Gotoh 201 bridge on both basses. I prefer the slightly narrower string spacing. Again, its a standard drop in replacement part, no need to re drill any holes.

The bass is decent in the first place. The most important things are the neck and balance. If you love the neck that's cool. get some Hipshot tuners, sling a John East J-Retro in, shine up the cheapie satin neck finish with some T-Cut, the bass should then be pretty good.

But really, that is not a sensible way to spend and extra 300-odd knicker is it. Get a second hand Fender Japan or USA Jazz, then you can be sure you have quality wood and construction and the neck won't banana in the summer.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1373543090' post='2138815']
But really, that is not a sensible way to spend and extra 300-odd knicker is it. Get a second hand Fender Japan or USA Jazz, then you can be sure you have quality wood and construction and the neck won't banana in the summer.
[/quote]

I love the CV necks, IMO that is the biggest selling point, for me at least. I actually find them more comfortable, and nicer to play than the MIA's ive had in the past.
Ive actually had my CV Jazz neck on 3 different basses since ive had it.

After 3 years with it ive not had any issues with the neck. i know it doesn't have the rods in it like the MIA's but its a pretty sturdy neck.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1373544719' post='2138846']
I love the CV necks, IMO that is the biggest selling point, for me at least. I actually find them more comfortable, and nicer to play than the MIA's ive had in the past.
Ive actually had my CV Jazz neck on 3 different basses since ive had it.

After 3 years with it ive not had any issues with the neck. i know it doesn't have the rods in it like the MIA's but its a pretty sturdy neck.
[/quote]

The CV Precision neck that I had was very much like MIJ necks I`ve had. Very comfortable indeed.

The fundamentals of the bass sound like they're good & solid (neck & body), sort the electrics out n you're rockin'...new wiring loom from kiogon (bc electrical maestro), replacement pup (wizard or some other similar quality) and the rest is aesthetics, if the tuners aren't stable enough for ya swap 'em once you've tried 'em, hipshot [i]are[/i] superb...

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1373545597' post='2138860']
The fundamentals of the bass sound like they're good & solid (neck & body), sort th eelectrics out n you're rockin'...new wiring loom from kiogon, replacement pup (wizard or some other similar quality) and the rest is aesthetics, if the tuners aren't stable enough for ya swap 'em once you've tried 'em, hipshot [i]are[/i] superb...
[/quote]

Exactly the answer I was looking for :) thanks andy

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1373546492' post='2138878']
Exactly the answer I was looking for :) thanks andy
[/quote]

my pleasure matey :thank_you: I'll try to use more betterer spelling in future too, sorry 'bout that, fat fingers n all that :dash1:

Even though mine have had numerous pup changes they still have the original wire and pots (other than one i damaged) in them.
Actually the pots are really nice IMO. When i tried to replace the one i did damage i had to go through about 5 CTS pots to find one that was as smooth as the origianl pots.
Ive gigged my Cv's (mainly the P) almost every week for the past few years, never had any issues with the tuners. I take it out of the very thin gig bag, tune it up if its needed, and thats it until the nest gig.

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1373546492' post='2138878']
Exactly the answer I was looking for :)
[/quote]

In that case, Marcus, here's my answer:
The fundamentals of the bass sound like they're good & solid (neck & body), sort the electrics out n you're rockin'...new wiring loom from kiogon (bc electrical maestro), replacement pup (wizard or some other similar quality) and the rest is aesthetics, if the tuners aren't stable enough for ya swap 'em once you've tried 'em, hipshot are superb...

:-D

best,
bert