Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified vs Classic Vibe

Jono Bolton

What's the difference between the Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ranges? As far as I can tell, both ranges are loosely based around vintage instruments, but why the need for 2 ranges? Is it different materials, or place of manufacture?

From the basses I've looked at the Classic Vibes seem to be a bit nicer than the VMs, but I ask mainly because I'm thinking about getting a new guitar, and I'm looking at the VM Jazzmaster (which seems to be a straight up copy), and the CV Tele, which is based around an early 50s model with the pine body. Can anyone shed some light on it?

"Rebranding the same old designs ad infinitum" I think that's the Fender strategy/marketing department mantra ;-)

Sorry, not very helpful. I know they tweak those designs occasionally. As to the difference between CV and VM? Not sure, but people seem to rate the CV more

Edited by Roland Rock

There are loads of CV and VM threads on here, they have been out for quite a long time now.
Some like one, some like the other. Either way both ranges offer very good value for money, and the CV's certainly way above their price point IME.
I actually prefer the look and colour combo's of the VM range, but the vintage frets on the CV range are what sold me. These necks are fantastic.

Looking at the Squier website, it seems that the CVs are styled on vintage instruments, whereas the VMs are supposed to be vintage styled instruments but "modded" (hence the name I guess! :lol: ) I think I was a bit confused because while I can see the modified aspect of things like the Strat with lipstick puckups and the Telecaster Bass Special, the Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Mustangs and the Precisions don't seem to really be modified in any way, they look like they'd fit better in the CV range. Is there much of a jump in quality between the two?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1372936821' post='2131794']
Looking at the Squier website, it seems that the CVs are styled on vintage instruments, whereas the VMs are supposed to be vintage styled instruments but "modded" (hence the name I guess! :lol: ) I think I was a bit confused because while I can see the modified aspect of things like the Strat with lipstick puckups and the Telecaster Bass Special, the Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Mustangs and the Precisions don't seem to really be modified in any way, they look like they'd fit better in the CV range. Is there much of a jump in quality between the two?
[/quote]

Thats a good point about the offsets, and I'm not really sure about the jump in quality, ive played both VM and CV squiers and they've both been amazing.:D

If you want something truly mad, take a look at the Fender Pawn Shop series! :)

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1372940041' post='2131856']
Thats a good point about the offsets, and I'm not really sure about the jump in quality, ive played both VM and CV squiers and they've both been amazing. :D

If you want something truly mad, take a look at the Fender Pawn Shop series! :)
[/quote]

I'm really not keen on the Pawn Shop range, like the VM instruments that have been "pre-modded", they're really not to my taste. I prefer the ones like the offsets and a couple of the Precisions that seem to be fairly faithful reproductions of standard models from yesteryear. I've not had an opportunity to play any of the guitars I'm looking at, I guess the best thing to do it to give them all a try and just go for the one that I like the best!

The 'vintage modified' aspect of the jaguars and jazzmasters relates to the fretboard radius, which is 9.5" as opposed to the vintage correct radius of 7.25" apparently. I think the pickup output is hotter also, but having never played a vintage jag/JM I couldn't tell you for sure.

From all of the previous discussion, the most important thing to remember for me personally, has been the remark that one can buy CVs unseen whilst the VMs must be tested before purchase.
This is what prompted me to go for CVs, and I can't say I'm sorry. One is perfect, one has a badly routed pup hole that I don't care about, and the last one needed a turn of a screw to become perfect.
Never even seen a VM live.

best,
bert

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1372966214' post='2132302']
No comparison. The VM are fine for the price. But they're budget instruments. The CV are far better quality -- not quite as good as an American standard but at least as good as a MIM for about half the cost.
[/quote]
[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1372981892' post='2132568']
From all of the previous discussion, the most important thing to remember for me personally, has been the remark that one can buy CVs unseen whilst the VMs must be tested before purchase.
This is what prompted me to go for CVs, and I can't say I'm sorry. One is perfect, one has a badly routed pup hole that I don't care about, and the last one needed a turn of a screw to become perfect.
[/quote]

Cheers guys, that's the sort of response I was looking for. I've heard that both are good in their own right, but I was really wanting to know if there was much of a difference in quality between them. For the £50-odd jump in price, it looks like it's going to be the CV Telecaster, unless anyone knows which range the J Mascis Jazzmaster comes under? I believe the signature Squiers, like the Matt Freeman P, are more or less Classic Vibes.

I know two guys who gig with the Mascis. One is a traditonal picker/strummer while the other has an approach that verges on Nels Cline/Thurston Moore. Both sound great and i beileve they're excellent instruments.
Another bloke i know bought the '50s Tele after playing mine. He was particular impressed with the controls and the quality of the neck.