Why become a member? ×

Bass Synth...

pazsunday

Hey,

I'm currently mucking about with a BOSS SYB-5 and a Digitech Bass Synth Wah and have found that the BOSS has terrible tracking but good sounds and the Digitech has excellent tracking but looses volume.

I really want to get a Deep Impact/Hysteria sound (i have the big muffs!), can anyone recommend a pedal that isn't absolutely impossible to find that can do this?

Cheers

Are we talking about the Hysteria intro or the rest of it?

The intro you can cop with any half-decent fuzz (the MXR Blowtorch nails it), the rest of it is doubled with a synth so you'd need either some insane string of pedals that degrades your signal (octave downs into octave ups, etc.) and eventually approximates a synth sound, or a square wave generator like the Robot Factory Pulse Synth, and then blend that with your fuzzed bass signal with a Boss LS-2 or similar.

It's a lot of money to spend covering one tune, though. I would just buy a Blowtorch.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='214960' date='Jun 8 2008, 04:34 PM']crowther prunes and custard will get you the hysteria sound close enough. Big muffs will not.[/quote]
well considering he used a sovtek big muff and a oc-2 on it i'm pretty sure it should do ;p i got pretty close with my octoplus and big muff

[quote name='umph' post='216691' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:37 AM']well considering he used a sovtek big muff and a oc-2 on it i'm pretty sure it should do ;p i got pretty close with my octoplus and big muff[/quote]

I think you're wrong about that. He uses a large array of random effects, digital modelling, and sequenced synths/keyboards all over that album AND live. I can't remember the exact combination used for Hysteria, and I can't check the muse message board for it 'cos i'm IP banned.

I could be wrong though.

[quote name='umph' post='216691' date='Jun 11 2008, 10:37 AM']well considering he used a sovtek big muff and a oc-2 on it i'm pretty sure it should do ;p i got pretty close with my octoplus and big muff[/quote]
absolute bollocks im afraid. he did nothing of the sort. it was done with a human gear animato and deep impact and/or a Roland synth i cant think of the name at the moment.

Edited by BassManKev

• 4 months later...

[quote name='Clunge' post='216617' date='Jun 11 2008, 08:05 AM']Blowtorch does it perfectly, though running something to give it a touch of grit beforehand really really helps a lot.[/quote]
+1

And BassmanKev, the synth your thinking of was the JP8000 but that was used on Time is running out and not Hysteria.

[quote name='Tusknia' post='317603' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:32 PM']+1

And BassmanKev, the synth your thinking of was the JP8000 but that was used on Time is running out and not Hysteria.[/quote]
the whole bassline is played with distorted bass with a synth on top, whereas time is running out was the synth alone :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='215157' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:05 PM']Try a Boss LS-2 so that you can blend 2 sounds together in paralell, one of your synths in one loop and a nasty fuzz in the other.[/quote]

Yes.

I performed HYsteria last Sat night.

Boss LS2. EHX Metal Muff on 1 loop, Digitech Synth Wah in the other. Blend to taste.

Sounded HUGE.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='pazsunday' post='214632' date='Jun 7 2008, 08:22 PM']Hey,

I'm currently mucking about with a BOSS SYB-5 and a Digitech Bass Synth Wah and have found that the BOSS has terrible tracking but good sounds and the Digitech has excellent tracking but looses volume.

I really want to get a Deep Impact/Hysteria sound (i have the big muffs!), can anyone recommend a pedal that isn't absolutely impossible to find that can do this?

Cheers[/quote]

Z-Vex Woolly Mammoth.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='330370' date='Nov 16 2008, 11:52 PM']Z-Vex Woolly Mammoth.[/quote]
= most overpriced fuzz available

there are several clones around i think that probably do a better job too, someone on here has one i think.....

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='fretmeister' post='319094' date='Oct 31 2008, 02:45 PM']Yes.

I performed HYsteria last Sat night.

Boss LS2. EHX Metal Muff on 1 loop, Digitech Synth Wah in the other. Blend to taste.

Sounded HUGE.[/quote]

Hi,

What setting did you use on your Digitech BSW?