Why become a member? ×

Is this overpriced?

aende

[url="http://www.livemusicshop.co.uk/cms/index.php/bass-guitars/music-man-stingray-3eq-bass-detail"]http://www.livemusicshop.co.uk/cms/index.php/bass-guitars/music-man-stingray-3eq-bass-detail[/url]

A bit knocked about and a fecking great scratch down it?

This is the kinda bass I was looking for.....but, £900 seems steep given the condition? Thoughts?

I am tempted by this, I like the colour and I like rosewood necks;

[url="http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalogue/Guitar-Centre/Bass-Guitars/Music-Man/Musicman-Stingray-3EQ-RW---Candy-Red-wBlk-Pickguard-110212001"]http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalogue/Guitar-Centre/Bass-Guitars/Music-Man/Musicman-Stingray-3EQ-RW---Candy-Red-wBlk-Pickguard-110212001[/url]

I dunno......I am being colour picky! But I am not sure on what to pay for a secondhand or ex demo Stingray....

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1372426542' post='2125630']
Thanks all - Is colour a huge cost difference on 'rays?
[/quote]

Hmm. Not sure. I think I had the impression that Black was slightly more, simply as it works for more people. Could be wrong - as I said, just a personal impression!

Some of the transparent finishes on EBMM basses like vintage sunburst and black cherry burst cost a bit more than the solid colours on new basses , so maybe that would be reflected slightly in the price of a used bass . You can do much better than this bass for £900 if you are in the market for a used 'Ray . For that kind of money I would expect an absolutely dead mint and highly desirable example with all the case candy intact ect . Stingrays are in plentiful supply and the price of used ones reflects that saturation .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1372428040' post='2125660']
Hmm. Not sure. I think I had the impression that Black was slightly more, simply as it works for more people. Could be wrong - as I said, just a personal impression!
[/quote]

I think the fact that Flea played a black Stingray has helped make that a very popular colour choice for a Stingray , although it helps too that black looks particulaly good on that bass

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1372428040' post='2125660']
[/quote]

Black and Natural Stingrays are very common and easy to find, so they're usually cheaper

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1372451448' post='2126008']
I think Molan's figure of £650 would be a very good deal, but you can certainly get very nice used Stingrays at around £700 - £800. So I'd agree that one is over-priced.
[/quote]

Last Ray I had was an immaculate black 3 eq model. Cost me £600 without even trying to negotiate.

Generally black and white go for slightly less than natural. Other colour prices bounce around all over the place but really nice Birdseye and flamed necks can definitely add value :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1372455502' post='2126087']
Last Ray I had was an immaculate black 3 eq model. Cost me £600 without even trying to negotiate.

Generally black and white go for slightly less than natural. Other colour prices bounce around all over the place but really nice Birdseye and flamed necks can definitely add value :)
[/quote]

Great price - can you find me one :lol:

Actually, I paid £650 for my current one (natural with a nice birdseye neck), but that was about three years ago, and I thought that was a good price. You got a cracking deal at £600! I guess it is a buyers market at the moment...

Edited by simon1964

2nd hand 'ray price trends go up and down like a tart's knickers. They rarely ever go below 550 or above 800. Right now they have risen to the 700-750 (asking) range.
I paid 600 for my natural '97 a few years back when prices were on the tasty side for the buyer.