Why become a member? ×

Do I want an octave pedal?

Graham

In the covers band I dep for fairly regularly they do Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars, but play it in C rather than Eb, which means as I don't have a 5-string I won't be able to play the octave shift in the verse, which is a shame as it sounds great dropping an octave for the 2nd half of the verse.

However, I was thinking an octave pedal might solve this problem? I'm not really sure as I've never used one so am I on to something here? I don't want to retain the original note, I just want the note I'm playing to appear out of the amp an octave lower.

To expand on that, what you are asking for...

'To play a note an it be reproduced an octave lower'

... Can be performed by most octave pedals by turning the 'dry' volume off and turning the -1 octave volume up. Nearly all (if not all) will allow this.

However, going as low as a detuned C is just not going to cut it. For analogue octavers, tracking anything lower than 5th fret (A) on the E string is tough and tends to come with an inconsistent note, glitching and a little loss of presence. Reproducing all the elements of a tone that low can be quite tough. If you bear in mind as well that your bass cab is unlikely to reproduce the fundamental of a Drop C if you we're playing it normally, expecting an Octaver to do anything even near as good a job is a no no.

Some digital octavers will track much better lower down, but even they will loose definition and tracking much lower than a typical open E string.

So, your understanding of an Octaver is correct, but using one to play much lower than the register of the bass is problematic.

Cheers guys, the bass I use for that song is nominally set-up in D standard, tuned up a semitone for the gig for the songs the guitarist or singer like to do in Eb so going down to drop C is probably not too much of a stretch.

Hoping for a magic box to solve the problem was probably asking a bit much :-P

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1372008212' post='2120591']
To expand on that, what you are asking for...

'To play a note an it be reproduced an octave lower'

... Can be performed by most octave pedals by turning the 'dry' volume off and turning the -1 octave volume up. Nearly all (if not all) will allow this.

However, going as low as a detuned C is just not going to cut it. For analogue octavers, tracking anything lower than 5th fret (A) on the E string is tough and tends to come with an inconsistent note, glitching and a little loss of presence. Reproducing all the elements of a tone that low can be quite tough. If you bear in mind as well that your bass cab is unlikely to reproduce the fundamental of a Drop C if you we're playing it normally, expecting an Octaver to do anything even near as good a job is a no no.

Some digital octavers will track much better lower down, but even they will loose definition and tracking much lower than a typical open E string.

So, your understanding of an Octaver is correct, but using one to play much lower than the register of the bass is problematic.
[/quote]

but the OP's not intending tracking lower than a 5th fret A on the E string, he's playing an 8th fret C, so the octaver will play the required octave below no problem? i thought this might work pretty well for the problem seeing as its only one song.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1372073680' post='2121175']
but the OP's not intending tracking lower than a 5th fret A on the E string, he's playing an 8th fret C, so the octaver will play the required octave below no problem? i thought this might work pretty well for the problem seeing as its only one song.
[/quote]

It will, but may sound somewhat 'weak' or boomy compared to playing it on a B string. It will 'work' but may not be pretty. If he was wanting to retain the dry signal as well and add the lower octave underneath I think you'd get away with in, but having a wet only signal I think you'll find a distinctive lack of output compared to playing the octave higher. This is because the octave does not reproduce many of the upper harmonics that the string does and so while there is bass, there is very little definition to the sound.

By all means give it a whirl, but I expect you'd be a little disappointed. I would strongly suggest going for a digital/polyphonic Octaver for playing much on the E string for for the improved tracking (and in most cases definition to the note).

Graham I can lend you an Octaver for the cost of postage if you want to try it out? I have one or two (or 8).

Possibly, although he doesn't want to track the direct signal too, just wants the Low C. All Octaves I've tried do not create a low note that accurately recreates the tone of the direct signal.....nor would I want it to. In fact I'd rather use my OC-2 over a 5 string, I love having the clarity of the C (3rd fret A), with the rumble and sub of the low C

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1372080012' post='2121286']
Possibly, although he doesn't want to track the direct signal too, just wants the Low C. All Octaves I've tried do not create a low note that accurately recreates the tone of the direct signal.....nor would I want it to. In fact I'd rather use my OC-2 over a 5 string, I love having the clarity of the C (3rd fret A), with the rumble and sub of the low C

Si
[/quote]

ok i see

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1372078884' post='2121263']
Graham I can lend you an Octaver for the cost of postage if you want to try it out? I have one or two (or 8).
[/quote]

Cheers Shep, I really appreciate that, if you PM me your Paypal I'll send the money over when I get paid on Friday, I've got gigs 5th and 6th July so will be able to try one of them with an octave pedal and the other in drop C to see the difference :)

I still maintain that Drop C is the best route to go for the OP, followed by the pitch-glide mentioned above. An octave, used in the normal sense, wouldn't do what he's asking. Obviously you could use a POG with -1 at full, and dry all the way off, and just play the whole thing an octave up on the bass. It's a very synthetic tone though.

Plus, Drop-C is the tuning of kings! Stick on some 50-110's and you're winning.

As for octaves that do +1 as well as -1, the Pearl OC07 is grand. Hard to find, but Madbean do a PCB for it, and with a few mods you can bring out a very nice upper octave (you do need the mods though, it's a bit weak stock). If you don't have the means yourself, post in the DIY Effects thread as I'm sure someone in there will be happy to build it for you :)