Why become a member? ×

God I Love Eddie Van Halen!

Lord Sausage

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1371973911' post='2120114']
Tony Levin is no slouch either!. I love Eddie's rhythm playing too - much more than just power chords.
[/quote]

Exactly, his soloing tended to be "Key Change, some tricks, widdle, widdle" with little regard for the tune. Astonishing when I first heard it but it got a bit samey.

But his rhythm playing has always been great, and a bit different to what everyone else would do.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1371976570' post='2120148']
Astonishing when I first heard it
[/quote] And that's the thing, really. It *was* astonishing when we first heard it because, although EVH didn't actually invent tapping, no-one had used the technique in the same context before. Now it is samey because everyone else started doing it but he pretty much re-defined the way the electric guitar was played. This was 35 years ago! Incredible talent. You would have to say it was like Hendrix - he didn't invent what he did but did it in a way that became massively influential.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1371976570' post='2120148']
Exactly, his soloing tended to be "Key Change, some tricks, widdle, widdle" with little regard for the tune. Astonishing when I first heard it but it got a bit samey.

But his rhythm playing has always been great, and a bit different to what everyone else would do.
[/quote]
With him tho its wasn't tricks and widdle. That was the way he played. That style became tricks and widdle. He had the two most important things as a player, Fire and his own voice.