Why become a member? ×

Arpeggiator?!

Wooks79

I really fancy an arpeggiator for bass, and have been refreshed on the idea from the eventide pitchfactor thread.

Ideally as easy to use and program as possible, but am open to learning stuff for the right pedal...

Currently think I'm swinging towards a Dwarfcraft pitch grinder, but wondered what other options were out there?

Any cheap options? Or any really good usable experiences with any?

• 2 weeks later...

I had a b2m and wouldn't trust it for gigging really, and I'm guessing that solution would need me to drag a pc round? :(

Cheers, still looking, I'm kinda leaning towards the eventide pitchfactor now, just cos the dwarfcraft pitch grinder doesn't do clean, just not sure if the eventide is user friendly enough...

I know you're looking for a cheaper option & this is the opposite, but the Moog Bass (or Midi) Murf is an awesome bit of kit for arpeggiation & also as a tweakable analogue overdrive/swirly thing.

[url="http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Earthquaker_Devices_Announces_Arpanoid_and_The_Depths_Pedals.aspx"]http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/Earthquaker_Devices_Announces_Arpanoid_and_The_Depths_Pedals.aspx[/url]

Wooks - check that out, Sibob knows I got he gas for EQD but I think I'm definitely interested in that Arpanoid.

(the depths pedal sounds great but I have the Sea Machine which seems very similar with more in it)

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1373562538' post='2139117']
If the dwarfcraft pitch grinder did a clean tone as well I'd have bought it by now :( but it doesn't.
[/quote]

Ask Benjamin if he can mod a clean blend in?

Si

Yeah I've asked, it's a no go at the mo -

"Hello Si.
Thanks for writing.
Sorry to inform youThe Pitchgrinder is an eight bit pedal no matter what, so what you hear is as clean as it gets. Hopefully some day we will have access to super cool pitch shifting chips that make cleaner arpeggios doable.
Thanks!
Ben"

• 1 month later...

I've got a slicer and it's great at what it does, however there is a few problems with it:

1. You can't specifically outline the steps you want it to take - although it does have arpegiator-like functions, you can't really work outside the parameters of what's been programmed into the pedal, unless you want to change the duty. It's not REALLY an arpergiator more of a rhythmic tremolo with some harmony functions.

2.Within a band context, sure it's got the tap tempo but because of the nature of the effect there's no room for error, it's difficult enough getting it to sync to a click track perfectly, let alone a drummer.

HOWEVER

I haven't tried it out yet but I have a feeling that the best way is to use the MIDI input on that badboy and then if your drummer is playing to a click everything should fall into place.

(this is all assuming you want to use the arpegiator in a band context - apologies for the rant if not)

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1378409411' post='2199966']
would something like this be any help?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0vHJg_tQ8[/media]
[/quote]
It certainly seems to do the job and the programming utility is definitely a bonus.

It's possible to programme the Pitchfactor using MIDI cc messsages too. I'm wondering if its possible to use the Molten MIDI to do that...or whether it has communication that is specific to the Digitech Whammy...maybe I should drop them a line...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKVmvy_Uzk&feature=player_embedded#t=291"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUKVmvy_Uzk&feature=player_embedded#t=291[/url]

This made me sit up and notice though. I haven't managed to find out if its programmable though.

Yes it is!!!

p25 of the user manual
[i]"Arpeggiator Sequence This effect definitely pushes the weird/cool lever to the limit. It accentuates specific musical notes in 2 measure patterns. Even if you play muted strings on the guitar, you‘ll still hear the generated note sequence because the sequence‘s notes are actually generated in response to your playing. The note sequence is fixed and does not change depending on what you play. You can choose one of 20 preset arpeggiator sequences—a variety of major, minor, seventh and other patterns—or create your own."[/i]

p29 of the user manual
[i]"As with the preprogrammed sequences, the User sequence contains 2 measures of 1/16 notes. (However, it may be played as either 1/8 notes, 1/8 note triplets or 1/16 notes, depending on the setting of the drumbeat‘s Timebase parameter.) Each of the steps in the sequence has a level value from 0 to 99, used...for...the arpeggiator pitch (if an arpeggiator sequence)."[/i]

I'm looking to arpeggiate single notes, and I'm currently leaning towards the Earthquaker as it seems fairly simple (I believe it can do polyphonic too). I would quite like to be able to play the arpeggiating synth part of Daft Punk's Contact (see 1:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRcHTdWY5lU), although the problem is that you cannot tap tempo (which will make this hard live), or chose to alternate between major and minor runs for the different major/minor chords. This second problem I find the most limiting.

Any suggestions?