Why become a member? ×

3 Things That Inspired You To Play Bass?

Chiliwailer

1: my 2 mates. They needed a bass player and because they knew I played guitar and piano, I could pick it up quickly so they gave me there bass (pbass copy) to learn on.

2: music tastes. The band with my two mates (when I was 16) was things like Mr Big, Extreme, Dream theater so I got through into the deep end. My first year was an extremely steep learning curve.

3: Jamiroquai. Within the first year of being 'guitarist who owns a bass', I then studied Jamiroquai for every little bit of bass trickery I could find. This formed me into a bassist.

1: The juke box at the pizzeria had a blown horn so all that came out was bass. And I liked it.

2: I saw a band that was keys, bass and drums and the bassist played all the guitar parts and I thought it sounded great.

3: I heard The Yes Album.

Edited by Lowender

1, Bass lines on my older brothers records, especially Platters records (yeah I know, they just caught my ear)

2, McCartney ab it, but more so Entwhistle

3, In my first job I worked directly above a west indians cafe in Brum, All day Prince Buster coming up through the floor from their jukebox.

1. I joined a band and sucked at guitar so I swapped with the bass player.

2. I thought I could get girls by saying I was in a band but while standing near the back because I'm shy. (This plan unfortunately didn't work because I couldn't get the confidence to actually talk to girls)

3. Nikki Sixx (Have since moved on but I used to worship him)

:)

1. Wanted to play an instrument - drums were too loud/expensive and everyone was playing guitar, so figured I'd try something different.
2. My Dad plays bass so I got to play on his first, found I enjoyed it. He then paid for my first bass and amp.
3. Steve Harris.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1371427158' post='2113891']
1. I joined a band and sucked at guitar so I swapped with the bass player.

2. I thought I could get girls by saying I was in a band but while standing near the back because I'm shy. (This plan unfortunately didn't work because I couldn't get the confidence to actually talk to girls)

3. Nikki Sixx (Have since moved on but I used to worship him)

[/quote]

Similar...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. I liked playing piano, and wanted to be a keyboard player. I played synth Bass in a band that was forming - one guy was a better keyboard player - so when I got my first weeks wages, I got a Carlsbro Cobra combo and an Aria Pro II four string - and I assumed the Bassist position![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. I thought I could get girls by saying I was in a band but while standing near the back because I'm shy. (This plan unfortunately didn't work because I couldn't get the confidence to actually talk to girls)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. 'Level 42'... the album from '81.. "Love Games".. the track [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](oh, and the Bassist could play a bit too).[/font][/color]