Why become a member? ×

Tuning down to D or C sharp with TI Flats

tedmanzie

My Precision is strung with JF344 TI Flats, standard tuning. I've recently been listening to Pino Palladino's bass playing with D'Angleo and other 'nu soul' RnB type stuff where apparently he's tuning down to D or C# and using heavy gauge LaBella strings.

TI strings are already lower tension than usual and not very thick gauge so they don't really work tuned down.
Thomastik don't offer different gauges for some reason, the four string set is only available as 043, 056, 070, 100.

Out of curiosity, do you reckon I could put the bottom strings from a Thomastik 5-String set on? This would be 056, 070, 100, 136. Tuned down a whole step or more maybe it would work?? Or would it be TOO thick?!

I just wondered if anyone had already tried it.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1370804660' post='2105824']
My Precision is strung with JF344 TI Flats, standard tuning. I've recently been listening to Pino Palladino's bass playing with D'Angleo and other 'nu soul' RnB type stuff where apparently he's tuning down to D or C# and using heavy gauge LaBella strings.

TI strings are already lower tension than usual and not very thick gauge so they don't really work tuned down.
Thomastik don't offer different gauges for some reason, the four string set is only available as 043, 056, 070, 100.

Out of curiosity, do you reckon I could put the bottom strings from a Thomastik 5-String set on? This would be 056, 070, 100, 136. Tuned down a whole step or more maybe it would work?? Or would it be TOO thick?!

I just wondered if anyone had already tried it.
[/quote]
I've used the BEAD of a TI Flats 5-string set on a 4 string bass, tuned BEAD. They are low tension just like a 4-string set and you could certainly give them a try at CFGbEb or maybe higher. No guarantee though.

I did have to slightly file the nut slots.

Edited by EssentialTension

I have a lightly used B string from a lightly used 5-string set I bought on here (for a 4-string bass) that you are welcome to if you'd like to try it out cheaply. Please feel free to drop me a PM if you're interested.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1370805445' post='2105836']
I've used the BEAD of a TI Flats 5-string set on a 4 string bass, tuned BEAD.
[/quote]

How did that go? It's something that has crossed my mind more than once to try out on my 35" scale fretless (for the tension).

I wouldn't try to tune a BEAD set of strings to anything higher than C standard due to the rise in string tension.

Try the D'addario balanced tension 120-50 set for a fairly cheap solution for D standard/C# standard, or get a custom set made out of singles of strings you like.

Guage isn't a great help with tension, it's more to do with core size.
Go have a chat with Newtone Strings, tell them what guages you like, and what tuning you want to achieve and they'll make you a set.
I used high tension sets exclusively for a few years as I wanted to retain my 45-105 guages in Drop C Standard, obviously the downside is that you can't tune up to E standard.

Si

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1370847551' post='2106130']
How did that go? It's something that has crossed my mind more than once to try out on my 35" scale fretless (for the tension).
[/quote]
BEAD on a 4-string worked fine except I found I needed it so rarely. I certainly found it preferable to 5-strings but I use a D-tuner now.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1370878399' post='2106754']
BEAD on a 4-string worked fine except I found I needed it so rarely. I certainly found it preferable to 5-strings but I use a D-tuner now.
[/quote]

OK thanks for the info. I was thinking about the number of tunes we play where it might be useful and concluded 'not many' in all honesty although it might be nice to play up the neck on the lower strings occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

results are in (having got hold of a TI Flat B string)

- BEAD standard tuning - I strung the bass but I'd need to re-cut all the nut slots and having now tried a proper B string I know that I'm not bothered about going down that low.

- Tuning up a BEAD set - I tried tuning up one whole step to C and even that was way too much tension for me.

- Tuning down a standard set of TI Flats - I've tried this before but I did it again to confirm and going down to D is [i]much[/i] too floppy for me.

I do like the extra low notes available going down to C# so i think I'll look for another set of flats that can take that without becoming too thick to fit the nut.

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1370816396' post='2106036']
Interested in the outcome of this
[/quote]

Me to , I have a fair amount of D tuned songs, also did a dep gig for a rock band, whole gig is D tuned.

Wanting to set a bass up D tuned full time

I'm not using flats, but for basses in Drop C or Drop C# I use Daddario's balanced medium set Nickels. The 120 gauge E string is perfect for the low strings with a tension similar to that of a standard tuned 105 I feel.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1371754488' post='2117835']
Didn't fancy the higher tension string idea?

Si
[/quote]

Yes that's the route I'm going, I've got some LaBella flats coming from Thomann (as I had a €40 voucher to spend!).
They only had the 760FS standard in stock (045, 065, 085, 105) and I probably would have gone for the 760FM set which is a touch thicker, but I'm guessing that a whole tone down with the FS set might give similar tension to the TIs?? Trial and error perhaps.

edit - just read the post above and perhaps i'm being a bit hopeful with the 760FS...

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1371757719' post='2117883']
Yes that's the route I'm going, I've got some LaBella flats coming from Thomann (as I had a €40 voucher to spend!).
They only had the 760FS standard in stock (045, 065, 085, 105) and I probably would have gone for the 760FM set which is a touch thicker, but I'm guessing that a whole tone down with the FS set might give similar tension to the TIs?? Trial and error perhaps,
[/quote]
That sounds possible. I've got 760FS on a Precision bass at the moment and they are tense enough I think to take a drop to DGCF without becomeing too loose.

The D certainly works on the D-Tuner.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1370878490' post='2106757']

Is that E tuned down to D or B tuned up to D?
[/quote]
Sorry, only just seen this. It's a standard 4-string set tuned down a tone.
In fact last week I played the one bass I have that's in standard tuning (with TIs) and was struck by how high the tension was. I think I'm becoming a wuss. :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1371764517' post='2117989']
Sorry, only just seen this. It's a standard 4-string set tuned down a tone.
In fact last week I played the one bass I have that's in standard tuning (with TIs) and was struck by how high the tension was. I think I'm becoming a wuss. :)
[/quote]
Not a wuss, but you must have a delicate touch.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1371757857' post='2117885']
That sounds possible. I've got 760FS on a Precision bass at the moment and they are tense enough I think to take a drop to DGCF without becomeing too loose.

The D certainly works on the D-Tuner.
[/quote]

thanks for the info.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1371765623' post='2118007']
Not a wuss, but you must have a delicate touch.
[/quote]
Yes, I do generally have a light touch. But if I want to put some thump in there, I do without any issues. I guess using a fretless means I don't get the harsh fret-buzz that you would from frets; if the string is hitting the fingerboard it produces a much less harsh noise, and one that isn't really noticeable.