Why become a member? ×

Resizing holes for machine heads

Hi all.

I've just bought some replacement machine heads for my jazz bass, and upon attempting to install them, it turns out they're a bit on the small side. Once I have the washer and nut on, they sit tightly enough, but there's a lot of space surrounding them. The only part that completely covers the hole is the washer. I'm guessing it's desirable to have as much contact between the shaft and the head stock as possible, so what would be best? Do you think it would work if I filled it in with dowel, and then drilled new holes? Would that be able to hold the tension?

Thanks in advance for any help.

haven't tried that one (yet) :) if the hole is too big then you could dowel it for sure, need to be accurate when re drilling (drill press) also you may also get away with using some copper pipe or something as a sleeve. experiment with some scrap. Good luck.

Clean as in no varnish or other coatings. The fit needs to be at least snug with no gaps, better if its a little tight. The tricky bit is finding dowel that's the correct size. You may end up making the holes a bit bigger to suit the dowel. Unless you want to turn a bit of wood down? The wood glue will be fine. It works best if under pressure. That's why you need a good fit. You cant really clamp a dowel insert!! Just make sure if you do machine the hole bigger it doesn't protrude past the machine head nut or back plate. I did this on a neck to convert it from a 4+1 to a 5 inline. I veneered the back face with maple to cover the filling and it blended in quit nicely with the rest of the neck. A

Edited by apa

I did this to a 'Yamato' headstock that I wanted to fit 'proper' size machine heads to. I dowelled and glued the original holes and then marked out and drilled new holes (wood awl) and the job was a good 'un. It looks a bit weird, as the dowel is pine and the head is maple, but I reckon if it bothered me that much I'd get some veneer / paint on it. It's my 'stay at home' bass, so there's no issue.

Another thing you might try is to reinsert the bushings for the larger tuners and see if that brings the inside diameter down to the point the new bushings will fit inside them. That's what I did when changing out the old "elephant ear" tuners on my bass for Hipshot Ultralights: I just kept the old bushings on the headstock and installed the Ultralights in them. This saved me much time, energy and consternation.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1370440548' post='2100879']
Another thing you might try is to reinsert the bushings for the larger tuners and see if that brings the inside diameter down to the point the new bushings will fit inside them. That's what I did when changing out the old "elephant ear" tuners on my bass for Hipshot Ultralights: I just kept the old bushings on the headstock and installed the Ultralights in them. This saved me much time, energy and consternation.
[/quote]

That sounds a much better approach to me. Much less hassle and less to go wrong compared to glueing etc. But I wondering if you could simply get complete tuners with the correct dimensions ?

[quote name='gerryc' timestamp='1370788872' post='2105510']
I did a temporary job on mine five years ago by using insulating tape round the shaft. Worked fine, must get round to fitting correct size ones someday.
[/quote]

All it needs really. The nut should hold it tight, and once the string is tensioned it's not going to move in the hole.
I can make you some steel/ali bushes if you're really worried