Why become a member? ×

Collection Reboot - anyone ever get tempted?

Greggo

Has anyone with more than a couple of guitars/basses ever get tempted to sell all the existing guitars and with the money raised "reboot" the collection? Maybe in order to downsize collection but also so can choose better suited/better quality/more versatile instruments to replace the ones sold.

Im going through this temptation right now. I have 7 guitars/basses, little room for them and in all honestly so little time to play them. Starting to think that one bass, one electric guitar and one acoustic would be all I would need for forseeable future.

Does anyone else ever go through this urge?!

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1369838335' post='2093313']
Has anyone with more than a couple of guitars/basses ever get tempted to sell all the existing guitars and with the money raised "reboot" the collection? Maybe in order to downsize collection but also so can choose better suited/better quality/more versatile instrumnets to replace the ones sold.

Im going through this temptation right now. I have 7 guitars/basses, little room for them and in all honestly so little time to play them. Starting to think that oen bass, one electric guitar and one acoustic would be all I would need for forseeable future.

[/quote]

Yep I did that.

Got rid of my Fender Twin, effects pedals and other crap, most of my nine guitars and basses. I now have a POD X3 LIVE, a Strat, a Jazz, and a classical guitar. I also sold most of my studio kit and now have a MacBook Pro running Logic Pro 9. Dusting has never been simpler :D

Yes, I find simplifying my setup if anything more satisfying than adding to it. Instrument-wise I'm down to:
- 1 acoustic guitar
- 1 electric guitar
- 1 bass guitar
- 1 ancient electric piano (+ small slightly less ancient MIDI sound module)
- 1 synth
- 1 piano accordion
- 2 melodeons/diatonic accordions (one 2 row for morris, one 3 row for playing at home)

Like Nige I have vastly simplified my recording setup too, which now consists of a laptop, interface, small mixer plus phones / mics and monitors. I have no instrument amps at all.

Me too. Far too much 'good but not [i]great[/i]' gear in long-term, inaccessible removers storage atm. Utterly useless where it is and I'm not missing it.

Probably dribble stuff onto the market over the next year or so. Amongst scads of guitars and pedals there's: 1966 Bassman head, 1973 non-MV Marshall MK II, 1973 SF Princeton NR, 1980's Ampeg B15-T (tranny). All covered in dust and mute as the grave. Total waste.

Depressed now. :(

Edited by skankdelvar

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1369838335' post='2093313']
Has anyone with more than a couple of guitars/basses ever get tempted to sell all the existing guitars and with the money raised "reboot" the collection? Maybe in order to downsize collection but also so can choose better suited/better quality/more versatile instruments to replace the ones sold.

Im going through this temptation right now. I have 7 guitars/basses, little room for them and in all honestly so little time to play them. Starting to think that one bass, one electric guitar and one acoustic would be all I would need for forseeable future.

[/quote]

Its better IMO to have one or two great basses/amps/cabs than loads of "ok" ones. Also modern technology has given us some great gear consolidation opportunities, for instance my RH450 replaced a 4-U rack of gear.

This has occured to me, from time to time.

The fact is, there are an awful lot of basses that I would love to try; and the best method of trying, over the longer period it takes to really get to know an instrument, is to own one; thus the collection will change.

I've been pretty fortunate in that I've finally managed to work out, from all those basses, what it is that I really want - and thus I suspect I will always have a Stingray in the collection. So I'm a little more whimsical now - everything around the Stingrays will come and go; and at the minute I am considering making a few go :)