Why become a member? ×

EBMM Stingray 4 battery question

BassYerbouti

I am a recent owner of a second hand Stingray and with a gig coming up thought, I'd replace the battery just in case it pegged out during the gig.

I put a shiny new duracel in to replace the old duracel but found it wasn't making contact and so I switched back to the old one which did but with a few more hours playing and another gig looming am back to square one.

Does anyone have any tips for making sure the battery in the Stingray makes good contact please?

EBMM specify using Duracells because , apparently , different makes of batteries are slightly different sizes and the very tight flip -top batterry compartment could get jammed if you used a slightly larger example . I cannot understand why an identical battery wouldn't make proper contact . Have you tried another new Duracell battery to see whether the one you have already tried might be a one - off defective ?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1369403745' post='2088848']
EBMM specify using Duracells because , apparently , different makes of batteries are slightly different sizes and the very tight flip -top batterry compartment could get jammed if you used a slightly larger example . I cannot understand why an identical battery wouldn't make proper contact . Have you tried another new Duracell battery to see whether the one you have already tried might be a one - off defective ?
[/quote]

Seconded.

I think it was the Tesco's own brand I tried once, and it didn't fit the flip-up compartment. At least I think it was that way round! Works fine on the screwed-down compartments, mind :lol:

This is quite common on Rays, certain 9v do seems fit better than others, also well worth keeping a eye on the contacts in the compartment as they do get crudded up. As for battery life, I was gigging 3 times a week, good quality sony 9v instrument battery lasted me well over a year.

Edited by Lynottfan

I have had the odd battery that was tighter than a nuns chuff for the EBMM holders too, also it might be worth extracting the whole thing carefully and bend the little tabs back up if they have become stuck in a position where they are not pressing against the battery terminals properly, give them a good clean and look for any loose connections at the same time obviously.

[size=5][sup]The other thing not mentioned yet and sometimes worth a try - make sure the contacts are bent up to touch the battery on the base - this is a problem some people have had.[/sup]
[sup]Duracell is your best bet but I've never stumbled over the battery too big fit issue, but will avoid said makes!![/sup]
[sup]Finally, does anyone else find their batteries seem to last almost forever these days? I rarely change mine - reckon they last around 12 months.[/sup][/size]

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1369483005' post='2089670']
[size=5][sup][b]The other thing not mentioned yet and sometimes worth a try - make sure the contacts are bent up to touch the battery on the base [/b]- this is a problem some people have had.[/sup]
[sup]Duracell is your best bet but I've never stumbled over the battery too big fit issue, but will avoid said makes!![/sup]
[sup]Finally, does anyone else find their batteries seem to last almost forever these days? I rarely change mine - reckon they last around 12 months.[/sup][/size]
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1369420276' post='2089167']
I have had the odd battery that was tighter than a nuns chuff for the EBMM holders too, [b]also it might be worth extracting the whole thing carefully and bend the little tabs back up if they have become stuck in a position where they are not pressing against the battery terminals properly[/b], give them a good clean and look for any loose connections at the same time obviously.
[/quote]

:lol:

I have had the odd battery that was tighter than a nuns chuff for the EBMM holders too, also it might be worth extracting the whole thing carefully and bend the little tabs back up if they have become stuck in a position where they are not pressing against the battery terminals properly, give them a good clean and look for any loose connections at the same time obviously.
[/quote]

A similar approach can be taken for the nun's chuff, if not used regularly.

CB

[/quote]
[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1369483005' post='2089670']
[size=5][sup]The other thing not mentioned yet and sometimes worth a try - make sure the contacts are bent up to touch the battery on the base - this is a problem some people have had.[/sup]
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1369485121' post='2089693']
:lol:
[/quote]

Oops - sorry about that, Pete - I never got past the nun's chuff, if you see what I mean :D plus the site turned my message into miniscule 6 point stuff lol

[b]Thanks for the advice chaps, on closer inspection, the duracels were not [u]exactly[/u] the same (maybe one was a fake). Anyways I had a good look inside the Nun's chuff and noticed one of the tabs wasn't springing all the way back, so released it and all was good for the gig on Sunday. [/b]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1369403745' post='2088848']
[/quote]

They are indeed..... sizes are different and it is very annoying..
Thankfully, you don't need to change them very often... unless you leave them plugged in...

[quote name='BassYerbouti' timestamp='1369745062' post='2092198']
[b]Thanks for the advice chaps, on closer inspection, the duracels were not [u]exactly[/u] the same (maybe one was a fake). Anyways I had a good look inside the Nun's chuff and noticed one of the tabs wasn't springing all the way back, so released it and all was good for the gig on Sunday. [/b]
[/quote]

:D