Why become a member? ×

HELP

stuartielow

Hello, after a couple months plodding away on my own, I've been asked to join a band, yey! Thing is I've been given a list of songs to learn and although I've worked most of them out, I'm getting bassists block with a couple! Could anyone save me some time and tell me the notes/tab to animal nitrate by suede? Its like I can't hear the bass, weird!

[quote name='Fozza' timestamp='1369036121' post='2084043']
I can't help with the tab
[/quote]

Nor can I, but hopefully these chords from "Chordify" will help a little OP.

[url="http://chordify.net/chords/suede-animal-nitrate-suedevideo"]http://chordify.net/chords/suede-animal-nitrate-suedevideo[/url]

Thank you very much, the chords are a start, I only got list on Saturday and try out is on friday! So far I think I've nailed superstitious get lucky Valerie and call me maybe ;) really looking forward to it. I think I need to be playing with other people now to get the timing and structure. Happy days.

Something like this?

Verse: Bb Ab Gb Eb

Chorus: Db Gb Db Gb Bb Ab Gb ends on a B.

Middle 8 approx Bb Gb G Gb.

You can work out the fiddly bits. Just follow the guitarist.

I don't know Cordify but tab sites are usually wrong.

Edited by chris_b

Can't help directly either, but a casual listen suggests to me that the bass generally follows the chord roots and the guitar licks, so these two vids might help…

Bernard Butler's in-depth & slightly out of tune guide to playing the guitar part:—

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hexMs1VuwMY[/media]

BBC6 Maida Vale session where you [i]can[/i] hear the bass:—

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRp2Ro5E8PU[/media]

All the GuitarPro tabs out there appear to be a] bass-free, and b] not quite right (no change there then).

The fact that the bass is a bit indistinct on the original might work in your favour here. If [i]you[/i] can't pick it out, odds are that the guitarist is only vaguely aware that there's probably a bass in there somewhere & has no idea what it actually does. The audience sure as hell won't. :D

Keep it simple, back up the chords & double up on the signature licks. If you find that anything else fits without getting in the way of the tune, go for it.

Pete.

Thanks guys, I've been asked to learn 12 songs and I've thrown 2 back at them that I could play with my eyes shut. I'm just trying to get basic riffs down so I can play something and hopefully they'll evolve after some practise. YouTube is handy in such situations! Its just sh*t luck that I'd never played any of them before!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369048815' post='2084171']
If you as a bass player can't hear what the bass line is, then your audience won't notice if you play something discrete and tasteful that you've made up yourself to fit the song.
[/quote]

I'll remeber that when some pillock points out that I missed the octave triplet and passing note 5th in the 18th bar.........

Fascinating! Well first practice tonight :-) went well. I just played the chords and no one seemed to mind :-) I'd been perfecting that trumpet solo bit from superstition like buggery then the bloody trumpet player couldn't play it cos its too fast!!! Grrr.