Why become a member? ×

So you think you can play bass?

AntWPF

Hello guys and girls. :)

I'm Anthony and I'm currently studying a BA(Hons) in Commercial Music. For my commercial project I've created a bass tuition website and some videos for it/Youtube. The website is nearly done, there are a few tweaks that need to be made which I'm doing today but most importantly my first video will be up in a few hours. The general idea is to create a groove library and to incorporate theory into some of the lessons.

I had a few teething issues with recording the video and marrying the audio but it's more or less there and also had a few issues with the slower tempos/recording and the way I performed them. I'm on a bit of a learning curve with this and I've already know what I'm going to do to remedy the issues I had in this first video.

Anyway, I would love some critique on it and hopefully the issues I have in mind will pop up with you guys as a reassurance to me.

I would be over the moon if you could like my page of Facebook and this will all go towards my grade on how I'm advertising etc. www.facebook.com/soyouthinkyoucanplaybass

Be nice, playing bass isn't a competition and neither is teaching it.

[quote name='AntWPF' timestamp='1368112724' post='2073375']
I probably should have mentioned that the video is currently uploading, I'll post the link when it's done. :)
[/quote]

Cool :)

Erm, watch your spelling on your FB page :) Bare with me, eyes pealed, etc. It looks unprofessional mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368113017' post='2073380'] Cool :) Erm, watch your spelling on your FB page :) Bare with me, eyes pealed, etc. It looks unprofessional mate. [/quote]

Cheers dude, didn't even notice that!

My only (intended as constructive :) ) comment would be to do with your R/H technique.

Playing with such a bent wrist whilst resting your forearm on the body of the bass, is a
recipe for physical problems further down the line, if not resolved .

[quote name='AntWPF' timestamp='1368110334' post='2073331']
Be nice, playing bass isn't a competition and neither is teaching it.
[/quote]
The above comment is very true, which is why I would question your choice of "so you think you can play bass" as a title for your project.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it sounds a bit dickswinging/arrogant, and I think if I was looking for online lessons it would put me off a bit.

I know it's the law that musicians' youtube videos have to be recorded in front of their un-made beds, but it might help you stand out from the crowd and look more professional if you thought about location a bit more. Also, I feel wearing a strap would look better - somehow more professional and committed.
Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck!

plain uncluttered background in the video would be better too imho :) if you have to use a domestic interior backdrop make sure it isnt full of loads of tiny little details that will distract people

edit - synchronystic posting going on here :D

Edited by steve-bbb

The final line should read "keep practising" - rather than "keep practice".

And the video would look better (more Dorling Kindersley and less Last Of The Summer Wine) if you recorded in a white room without the wardrobe, bed and associated detritus.

I felt that slowing that fairly basic groove down in 2 separate stages was overkill. And it made the bass face and neck wobble look a trifle odd to say the least.

So you think you can post a basschat thread? :-)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1368120969' post='2073528']
My only (intended as constructive :) ) comment would be to do with your R/H technique.

Playing with such a bent wrist whilst resting your forearm on the body of the bass, is a
recipe for physical problems further down the line, if not resolved .
[/quote]

I'm glad you picked up on that, it's something I'm trying to resolve. It's frustrates myself watching me play like that!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1368121508' post='2073537']
The above comment is very true, which is why I would question your choice of "so you think you can play bass" as a title for your project.
Maybe it's just me, but I think it sounds a bit dickswinging/arrogant, and I think if I was looking for online lessons it would put me off a bit.
[/quote] More than a fair comment, the main reason for the same was the fact it relatively easy to remember and nobody else was using it to be honest. Not meant in a arrogant sense at all but I totally get where you're coming from.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1368125708' post='2073604']
I know it's the law that musicians' youtube videos have to be recorded in front of their un-made beds, but it might help you stand out from the crowd and look more professional if you thought about location a bit more. Also, I feel wearing a strap would look better - somehow more professional and committed.
Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck!
[/quote] Haha yeah I knew that was a rookie mistake, was wondering if anybody would pick up on it. I try to use straps less these days as I suffer from back pain and it's only worse when I use them but it's definitely worth baring in mind, thank you.

The comments on the room and the location I completely agree with, unfortunately my iMac is pretty darn stationary and my room doesn't have many eye catching spots, perhaps a tidy of the wardrobe is in need! I do have a better view of my rack of basses and amp but that would involve some carful balancing of the camera on my bed, so I'm not sure it's that possible.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1368126337' post='2073614']
The final line should read "keep practising" - rather than "keep practice".

I felt that slowing that fairly basic groove down in 2 separate stages was overkill. And it made the bass face and neck wobble look a trifle odd to say the least.
[/quote] I'll change that now. That's interesting, it's mainly slowed down for a second time for beginners who struggle to pick notes out.

Thank you guys for all of your comments, I'll upload some more over the next few days and try and make a few changes as best I can with the room and resources I have. All of your comments are great and will contribute towards my final project as critisism I can write up and expand upon within my final submission. This is however a project I'd like to carry on after my degree (I finish next week). At the moment it's all a bit rushed as I'm sure you can tell and doing a music degree is sapping any bit of creative energy I have right now which is probably contributing to some of the "Let's record this video and throw it up and quite as possible syndrome". I can't wait to finish the degree so I can put some proper time into this and show you guys some progress, it's making me quite excited now. :D

Once again thanks guys, any more critique and advice is more than welcome.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1368129862' post='2073687']
Try hanging a large sheet behind you, be creative, make it look good.
[/quote]

Think I'll have to give that a go over the next few days, I'll see what I can do. I want to get my amp and basses in the shot anyway, so I'll figure something out. Oh and I to the comment about the unmade bed, that's actually two towels that were hanging over my chair and I moved them to the bed so they weren't in the video so it looked a better, as you can see I obviously didn't do a very good job of that. *face palm*

[quote name='AntWPF' timestamp='1368129567' post='2073684']
I'm glad you picked up on that, it's something I'm trying to resolve. It's frustrates myself watching me play like that!
[/quote]

Here are some clips that might help :

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYuqTsUlyM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYuqTsUlyM[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1368131624' post='2073723']
Here are some clips that might help :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYuqTsUlyM[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/media]
[/quote]

Fantastic! It already feel more natural, just getting my shoulder used to it, I play 6 string as well so this is even more useful. :)

Cheers dude.

Hi AntWPF

I have to say that your approach is very good, very positive attitude towards the comments above, your doing it right mate, ask for feedback & learn from it.
I like that a lot.

Welcome to Bass chat I believe with your attitude you will become a good addition to the fold.

Ant, I think you need to ask yourself what your intended audience may want from your videos, then deliver that. As it is, it's just a riff you are showing me at different speeds, no context, no explanation of what it is or why I should learn it. It's a video of a young fella in his bedroom playing a lick. Also, you are playing out of time in places.

That said, it's a nice little disco lick with a nice tone, but I really need to know what the point of learning it is. What techniques am I developing, what's the melodic and harmonic context, how can I change it for a minor key, etc

Best of luck, keep doing them but think about what your target audience needs, think about a concept, do something Scott Devine, Marlowe DK, et al are NOT doing. How can YOU help us be better bassists, and more importantly, MUSICIANS.

[quote name='argm' timestamp='1368175547' post='2074000']
+1 for a new backdrop! :)

I assume your Uni has studios & mixing rooms? Why not have a go and film in them?
[/quote]
My uni does have some fantastic studio facilities, unfortunately I've been a classic slack student and left it far too late. I have found a suitable place to record in my room though, it just has my mac/studio set up and my basses in view all neatly tucked into a guitar rack. I would have used it before but some careful balancing with my gorilla grip and a spare chair in room is needed to steady the camera. :) +1 for creative camera placement, I'll take a few photos when it's all set up to show you what's I've done to remedy the shoot location!

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1368178172' post='2074054']
Hi AntWPF

I have to say that your approach is very good, very positive attitude towards the comments above, your doing it right mate, ask for feedback & learn from it.
I like that a lot.

Welcome to Bass chat I believe with your attitude you will become a good addition to the fold.
[/quote]
Thank you for your positivity and kind words!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368183163' post='2074128']
Ant, I think you need to ask yourself what your intended audience may want from your videos, then deliver that. As it is, it's just a riff you are showing me at different speeds, no context, no explanation of what it is or why I should learn it. It's a video of a young fella in his bedroom playing a lick. Also, you are playing out of time in places.

That said, it's a nice little disco lick with a nice tone, but I really need to know what the point of learning it is. What techniques am I developing, what's the melodic and harmonic context, how can I change it for a minor key, etc

Best of luck, keep doing them but think about what your target audience needs, think about a concept, do something Scott Devine, Marlowe DK, et al are NOT doing. How can YOU help us be better bassists, and more importantly, MUSICIANS.
[/quote]
Thank you for your feedback, I 100% agree with you. I am definitely influenced by that of Scott and MarloweDK but I do agree that I should be doing something different. I've got interesting plans for the next six months, including a number of different services etc. I'm still getting my head around recording infront of a camera and putting the videos together hence the Marlowe type video, I'll keep doing video of that manor but I'll also be adding some nice little additions like I've said.

P.S to everyone in this thread and future readers my website is now up: www.soyouthinkyoucanplaybass.com

I would be eternally grateful if you could check it out and give me any critical feedback on the site, there are a few things I'm aware of such as the font at the moment but please bare in mind this is very much a draft in some respects.

Thank you all for your feedback, I look forward to hearing from you. :)

[quote name='AntWPF' timestamp='1368531585' post='2078012']my website is now up: www.soyouthinkyoucanplaybass.com
Thank you all for your feedback, I look forward to hearing from you. :)
[/quote]

I agree with what others have said - that is not a good name for a teaching or instructional resource. Far too confrontational, and likely to put potential visitors off IMO. But hey - it's your project man! :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1368539386' post='2078184']
I agree with what others have said - that is not a good name for a teaching or instructional resource. Far too confrontational, and likely to put potential visitors off IMO. But hey - it's your project man! :)
[/quote]

It's like a bass competition site innit.