Why become a member? ×

Valve pre-amp pedal

onehappybunny

Damn GAS... I've got a fabulous combo (Mark Bass Jeff Berlin) that is powerful, sounds great, lightweight etc. and yet I'm still hankering after some smooth, creamy, valvey goodness :)

I know that selling the MB would be a mistake, and can't afford also having a full valve (V8, 400+ etc.) set up, but was wondering if any of these valve pedals do a good impression of the aforementioned smooth, creamy, valvey goodness :huh: Mainly interested in subtlety, perhaps with a touch of distorted tube sounds.

I presume i'll be looking at EBS Valvedrive, DHA's, maybe even the emulation of the EBS Microbass 2...

Please let me know your thoughts if you think any of these would do the job

Many thanks

Stu

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='210583' date='Jun 1 2008, 04:42 PM']I presume i'll be looking at EBS Valvedrive, DHA's, maybe even the emulation of the EBS Microbass 2...[/quote]

I've used all of 'em. The DHA & EBS ValveDrive were broadly similar, apart from the EBS was more subtle and had passive EQ (I know Dave does now does 'em with EQ too). The DHA was balls-to-the-wall from the outset, and as such I preferred the ValveDrive.

However, my vote goes to the MicroBass II. A marvellous bit of kit that blows the SansAmp out of the water. Loads of flexibility (if you need it), a GREAT DI, switchable channels, headphone practice amp, and great tube emulation.

Regardless of what you buy... if you can, I recommend put it into the FX return of the Markbass to bypass the MB's preamp. You'll get more out of it that way.

I'm using the Electro Harmonix LPB 2ube which is a valve powered preamp pedal with 2 gain and 2 volume knobs and when you link both channels up together it gives a really convincing valve amp sound. It can give you anything from slight grit to full on distortion all whilst keeping the bass intacted, which is good because some pedals can rob you of the bass.

I do admit that this pedal is not for everyone but at least give it a go.

My 2 sence.

[quote name='umph' post='210618' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:33 PM']don't bother with valve pedals that run off 9v adapters.[/quote]

i was wondering about this the other day - some manufacturers (ehx ??) claim that the valves in their units powered by 9v do run at 'proper' voltages (using diode ladders ?? or somesuch).

anyone know anything about this ? it's way above my 'tronics knowledge.

as for the original question, i can't really help, sorry.

Yeah, it's possible using a voltage doubler circuit. I believe the DHA pedals use one to double the 12v input to 24v to feed the tubes. I've had a DHA VT2 and it sounded awesome, really fat and warm and could get a nice clean sound as well as balls-to-the-wall overdrive - take a look at the new VT1-EQ-Drive pedal. I REALLY want one, but since I want to build up a big crazy pedalboard, size and power supply issues are important to me so I'm looking at getting a Tech21 VT Bass instead. Also check out the soon to be released Aguilar Tone Hammer and EHX Bass Metaphor, they could be the next big thing.

Cream Pies are all out of stock now, but all the clips I've heard of them on bass sounded really farty to me anyway.

Cream Pies are all out of stock now, but all the clips I've heard of them on bass sounded really farty to me anyway.
[/quote]

How dare you :) :huh:

Cream pie is the best thing ever. The Barber LTD is highly regarded for this as is the digitech bad monkey.

If i had bought my cream pie when i had my mark bass amp i doubt i would have changed to ampeg

[quote name='ahpook' post='210642' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:53 PM']i was wondering about this the other day - some manufacturers (ehx ??) claim that the valves in their units powered by 9v do run at 'proper' voltages (using diode ladders ?? or somesuch).

anyone know anything about this ? it's way above my 'tronics knowledge.

as for the original question, i can't really help, sorry.[/quote]

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='210658' date='Jun 1 2008, 06:22 PM']Yeah, it's possible using a voltage doubler circuit. I believe the DHA pedals use one to double the 12v input to 24v to feed the tubes. I've had a DHA VT2 and it sounded awesome, really fat and warm and could get a nice clean sound as well as balls-to-the-wall overdrive - take a look at the new VT1-EQ-Drive pedal. I REALLY want one, but since I want to build up a big crazy pedalboard, size and power supply issues are important to me so I'm looking at getting a Tech21 VT Bass instead. Also check out the soon to be released Aguilar Tone Hammer and EHX Bass Metaphor, they could be the next big thing.

Cream Pies are all out of stock now, but all the clips I've heard of them on bass sounded really farty to me anyway.[/quote]

Yes, there are other ways of getting the voltage up too. I have a project waiting to be built, when I get round to it that should give me around 180V on my HT with enough current to provide for 2 valves. I have a choice of input voltages to use with such a simplistic schematic.. However I have also seen very detailed circuits that convert a DC signal into an AC signal using a very high clock speed, then rectifying it back to DC after a serious amount of stepping up!

I have recently discovered a very interesting way of pairing my new Sansamp and MXR M-80 pedals togther that give me the best of both worlds. The sound at a recent gig was soooo good, I think I'll stick with those settings from now on!

[quote name='uzzell' post='210630' date='Jun 1 2008, 05:41 PM']I'm using the Electro Harmonix LPB 2ube which is a valve powered preamp pedal with 2 gain and 2 volume knobs and when you link both channels up together it gives a really convincing valve amp sound. It can give you anything from slight grit to full on distortion all whilst keeping the bass intacted, which is good because some pedals can rob you of the bass.

I do admit that this pedal is not for everyone but at least give it a go.

My 2 sence.[/quote]

I'm a big fan of EHX's English Muff'n (don't let the "muff" put you off, it's [u]not[/u] a fuzz), same housing and dual-tube design, I find it does nice OD to all out distortion without colouring tone. You've got me wanting to give the LPB 2ube a go now, I'm also wondering what the Tube EQ can do. I'm guessing the latter wont do dirt, but may warm things up nicely.

Edited by stug

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='210658' date='Jun 1 2008, 06:22 PM']Cream Pies are all out of stock now.[/quote]

Thank god for that!

I was getting waaaay too tempted for another pedal I don't really need. :)

Edited by Musky

Can be done with 9-12v ac as well using a step up tx.

[url="http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=parts1.htm&ORDER_ID=179120208"]http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlsho...ER_ID=179120208[/url]

That will give you plate voltages in the 200-250 v range.
I feel that if you’re going to use tubes, run them at tube voltages.

MM

[quote name='stug' post='211021' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:41 AM']I'm a big fan of EHX's English Muff'n[/quote]

+1

I originally bought mine for some crunchy distortion. I now use it for the exact purpouse you describe, and love it :)