Why become a member? ×

G&L M2000/M2500 US & Tribute opinions

countjodius

Hey all,

These G&L's are fairly new on the scene, and I was wondering if anyone has tried one? A G&L with volume pan sounds very interesting!

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/12/09/gl-introduces-m-series-basses/"]http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/12/09/gl-introduces-m-series-basses/[/url]

Well I use & abuse an L2000 Tribute with customised the neck (the width/shape was modelled on a P-Bass), amazing & versatile workhorse bass that has kind of overtaken the vintage Fender as my main!

[size=4][quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1367876596' post='2070631'][/size]
I had a tribute series 5 string and was glad to see the back of it. Felt cheap, sounded rough and was just not nice. I maybe just got a bad one but i wont buy any cheap eastern models again unless i play it first.
[/quote]

Interesting to hear. I actually bought a Tribby online first and returned it due to shoddy quality/earthing/finish, and then tried one in store and was blown away!

Thanks for the link Dingus, good to hear an M2000 in action!

Does anyone have any hands-on opinions of these? I love the idea of a pup pan, although wonder if I would miss the passive/active switch.

I have one:

I don't give much care to a pan pot - I use them like a switch anyway. What does it sound like? A more modern L-2000 would be the glib response. Lots of mids available on the EQ if you want it - and more pertinently it's controllable - that's the crucial difference for me over the L-2000, not the pan pot. Speaking of the EQ, the frequencies at which it operates complement the MFD pickups beautifully and there's virtually no hiss even if you turn the treble right up and it sounds way better to my ears than the treble boost option on the L-2000, less scratchy and finger squeaky. It's nice and simple to use. The pickups are perma-wired in series, but a little less hot than the L-2000. And the neck is lovely - slightly thinner than the Tribute L-2000 all round (but still not too thin - 41.2mm at the nut and a nice profile). Don't get me wrong, I've got no issues with the Tribute L-2000 neck, but this one I can fairly zip around on.

Sometimes I like the tone of the L-2000 with it being basically a passive bass (the "active" thing being a simple signal boost), but sometimes this more hi-fi sounding one hits the spot.

Found another vid:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWtOM84V9c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWtOM84V9c[/url]

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1367876596' post='2070631']
I had a tribute series 5 string and was glad to see the back of it. Felt cheap, sounded rough and was just not nice. I maybe just got a bad one but i wont buy any cheap eastern models again unless i play it first.
[/quote]

I'm surprised. I have owned two Tribute series (and L2500 and an L2000) and both were really really good.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1367920265' post='2070906']
I have one:

I don't give much care to a pan pot - I use them like a switch anyway. What does it sound like? A more modern L-2000 would be the glib response. Lots of mids available on the EQ if you want it - and more pertinently it's controllable - that's the crucial difference for me over the L-2000, not the pan pot. Speaking of the EQ, the frequencies at which it operates complement the MFD pickups beautifully and there's virtually no hiss even if you turn the treble right up and it sounds way better to my ears than the treble boost option on the L-2000, less scratchy and finger squeaky. It's nice and simple to use. The pickups are perma-wired in series, but a little less hot than the L-2000. And the neck is lovely - slightly thinner than the Tribute L-2000 all round (but still not too thin - 41.2mm at the nut and a nice profile). Don't get me wrong, I've got no issues with the Tribute L-2000 neck, but this one I can fairly zip around on.

Sometimes I like the tone of the L-2000 with it being basically a passive bass (the "active" thing being a simple signal boost), but sometimes this more hi-fi sounding one hits the spot.

Found another vid:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PWtOM84V9c[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for the great in depth info neepheid, your M2000 is a beaut! Do you find there to be a big enough difference between this and the L2k to justify owning both? If only the shops up here would stock them, I could find out for myself!

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1367955174' post='2071609']
I maybe just got a bad 'un.
Sorry if i sounded bit harsh.......
[/quote]

No need to apologise... if that's your experience/opinion, that's fine.
I was just merely offering a very different experience. :)

• 1 year later...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1367995778' post='2071949']
I'd really like one of these. Big positive is the narrower neck over the L-2000 for me. Seems a bit pricey just at the moment though. I suspect prices will drop to much the same as the L-2000 in a while.
[/quote]

I also really want one (hence my bumping this old thread). Sadly the number of places to try them seems fairly small :(

I also really wanted to play one before buying but as you say, they're hard to come by. Simple answer is to order one from Thomann - with their 30 day money back guarantee you get to play one for the cost of shipping it back if you do not like it, and you get to play it when and how you wish, your amp, pedals, etc, and not in a store. I did that and, well, I am keeping it - hardly surprising though, GAS is a cruel, cruel disease. (After I sorted out a replacement as I am very fussy and the first one that I got was not 'perfect'.)

Also, there is one on sale on this very forum - surely the seller would be happy to arrange a try-out from a potential buyer.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1400512540' post='2454496']
I also really want one (hence my bumping this old thread). Sadly the number of places to try them seems fairly small :(
[/quote]

Edinburgh? I'm playing a gig at Henry's Cellar Bar on Saturday - I'll take my Tribute M-2000 if you fancy checking it out.

https://www.facebook.com/events/749866385058529