Why become a member? ×

Hush (Kula Shaker / Deep Purple) + Audition = Confusion

I've been asked to play the above for an audition. To the obvious question "what key is it in" I recieved the answer...

"[color=rgb(68,68,68)][size=4]B is the first chord of the verse. G is first chord of intro and chorus"[/size][/color]

No matter how hard I try I can't make that make sense. I've asked for clarification about three times now. Does anybody else fancy having a go at making that fit. I'm hoping they've just gone down a step from C to B. It's not my first choice for transposing on the fly ;-)

Ta... I kinda mean someone who knows the song to make sure I haven't gone insane. The recording is C, so if they have gone down a step then the chorus couldn't be G and vice versa. On this occasion I'm hoping I'm being stupid. I'm trying to avoid going to an audition haveing no clue if I am playing one of the songs in the right key !!

The NA, NA, NA, bit would be G, D, A, E, which would bring you to the B which would be the note that's played in the verse. The Hush, Hush, bit is B, E, A and that's the whole song. Hope this helps.

Just re-read your post and yes, they've gone from C to B.

As an aside, I came across this the other day. Brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIn5qNpfeQ0

Edited by bertbass

A long time since I played it but maybe they are mixing up 'intro' and 'chorus'. They seem to think that they are the same start chord but I don't think this is true. If they have dropped it a semi tone from original then the intro notes for bass would be A-G-E-F# then when it starts 'chugging' you'll be on B going into the verse. The 'na na' part of the chorus starts on G but the 'hush , hush' part of the chorus will be B. basically this looks correct for original, you just need to drop everything by a semi tone;

[url="http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/deep_purple/hush_btab.htm"]http://tabs.ultimate...e/hush_btab.htm[/url]

edit - bert beat me to it, pretty much as that. What you could do is retune your bass half a step up, play the fingering for the detuned version you will do with the band but this way it will sound in the right key to let you jam along with the original recorded version.

Edited by KevB

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1367397678' post='2064995']
I've been asked to play the above for an audition. To the obvious question "what key is it in" I recieved the answer...

"[color=rgb(68,68,68)][size=4]B is the first chord of the verse. G is first chord of intro and chorus"[/size][/color]

No matter how hard I try I can't make that make sense. I've asked for clarification about three times now. Does anybody else fancy having a go at making that fit. I'm hoping they've just gone down a step from C to B. It's not my first choice for transposing on the fly ;-)
[/quote]

Although the first chord in the song intro is B, the song is harmonically in the key of of C (which is the first chord of the verse).

As the first intro chord is the bVII chord then if this were a G then the first chord of the verse would have to be A so no, it doesnt make sense.

Edited by bassman7755

Half a step... I'm old, I take smaller steps now :unsure:

Playing it is no bother - done it before as recorded. It was just a WTF? moment. You don't like to go back and say "are you sure" ten times when it's an audition. Could be a bad start !!

Edited by thepurpleblob

It does make sense tough, if they have transposed down a semi tone and if they are referring to the 'nan na na' bit as the 'intro' then indeed the verse would start on a B and the 'intro' to the chorus would start on a G as they told you. I guess they might not include the song intro as DP did it, Neither Joe South's original or Kula Shaker's cover have that 4 chord intro for instance.

Edited by KevB

You could use this as a lesson in transposing.
If you think shapes and intervals... you don't need worry what key a song is in.
Or you could use a variation of the Nashville method.
All they do is line up the next section/chord relative to where you start.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1367402960' post='2065089']
You could use this as a lesson in transposing.
If you think shapes and intervals... you don't need worry what key a song is in.
Or you could use a variation of the Nashville method.
All they do is line up the next section/chord relative to where you start.
[/quote]

True - I would normally shrug it off - but for an audition I like to remove all doubt. I'm taking the 5-string though !!!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1367399768' post='2065032']
As an aside, I came across this the other day. Brilliant!
[/quote]

Like that lots. A bit different. Thanks for the link!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1367403074' post='2065093']
True - I would normally shrug it off - but for an audition I like to remove all doubt. I'm taking the 5-string though !!!
[/quote]
Looks like you'll need to put them right.....You could spook the the gtr by asking him what chords he would like...:lol:
That will tell you al you need to know....

Just to get really anal about it, Deep Purple covered their own cover by rerecording it in the 80's (Gillan and Glover weren't on the original DP version). Can't remember if the rerecording is in the same key as the original or not though.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1367424092' post='2065507']
Having just clocked your location...and the song you've been asked to audition to...

I've come to the conclusion we are quite possibly both auditioning for the same band!!!

Hahaha...!! :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Excellent. What time are you at?

You'll get it. I'm sh*t :gas: