Why become a member? ×

Long lasting strings

sblueplanet

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1369233345' post='2086676']
Lady Macbeth from Macbeth play by Shakespeare:-) Walks around naked washing her hands once the murder starts.

Much better than Inspector Poirot or Morse.
[/quote]

hmmm... eh.... hmm...

*leaves room*

Sorry about that. Let's get back to bass.

Since flatwound strings seem to offer the longest tone consistency are there any brands in this area that sit way above the rest?
Also, which would be best flatwound replacements on an electro-acoustic bass?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1369186176' post='2086116']
Depends on the coated, yet to wear out a set of elixirs (although lending a bass to a pick player for recording gave them dandruff), but the DR blue coated jobs died in standard sort of time.
[/quote]

Cheers. I'll definitley be looking further into the life-span of the coated Ernie ball, D'Addario and GHS sets over the nickel rounds as they are all dying pretty quickly on me albeit the D'Addario lasting slightly longer.

[quote name='Mexicola' timestamp='1369263386' post='2087204']
Cheers. I'll definitley be looking further into the life-span of the coated Ernie ball, D'Addario and GHS sets over the nickel rounds as they are all dying pretty quickly on me albeit the D'Addario lasting slightly longer.
[/quote]

I find D'Addario to last fairly long without any coating. In fact, when it comes to guitar strings, the uncoated ones are lasting longer for me now than the coated ones, oddly enough.

The Warwick EMPs are great.
From the off they are not *quite* as bright as (for example) Elites, but they dont change. For months. Even with regular playing they stay bright.
They dont loose any coating either, which some of the others do.
Give em a whirl one time, I did ...and I stuck with em.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1369237842' post='2086752']
Sorry about that. Let's get back to bass.

Since flatwound strings seem to offer the longest tone consistency are there any brands in this area that sit way above the rest?
Also, which would be best flatwound replacements on an electro-acoustic bass?
[/quote]
Just like with roundwounds there is wide variety in flatwounds and wide variety in what people like. There's no substitute for trying them out - but can be expensive.

I have two electro-acoustics - one with Thomastik Jazz Flats and one with Rotosound Trubass Black Nylons - both of which work fine for me. I've also used La Bella Deep Talkin' Black Nylons on both basses.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1369859514' post='2093720']
I bought a set of elixirs and apart from the feel which is very nice, I could not be more unhappy with them - the sound is just dire! Straight back to Legacy rounds for me.
[/quote]

Is it the Elixirs that have the silk style wrapping?
Never tried them myself... Sounds like I was wise not to...

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1370284139' post='2098644']
Had a set of Elixirs on my main bass for a few weeks and i'm liking them so far, though next time i think i may try the stainless steel ones, as i do like a very bright tone. The nickels are still bright, but not entirely what i want, though they do sound good.

Liam
[/quote]

I have a set of Elixir stainless steels on delivery at present.
I've never tried them myself but after reading some good reports on here made want to check the out.
Not the cheapest though, so they better be good!

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1370348759' post='2099427']
I have a set of Elixir stainless steels on delivery at present.
I've never tried them myself but after reading some good reports on here made want to check the out.
Not the cheapest though, so they better be good!
[/quote]
I used Elixirs for a while, they are good, last ages even when if the coating comes off if you play with a pick, gone onto DR neons now, cause they're more punk rock :), which also last a very long time but feel like normal strings not super smooth like the Elixirs

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1367432254' post='2065632']
Or maybe it's just the Peacock Blue ones. The G string would snap after @ 6 months (at the longest).
[/quote]
I think 6 months is more than long enough without changing your peacock blue g string, lovely though I'm sure it is...... :)

I have to agree with @iceonaboy. I like to have bright-sounding strings for playing harmonics or a bit of slap. I also like to sound like a whooly rhinoceros from the '60's with a nice bottom!
I might try picking a bespoke bass to string with flats and see how it goes while the others get their ration of roundwounds when I can afford it.
I dont have overly-greasy paws but some strings do just die super-quick. I have noticed the Warwick strings on my Warwick Thumb are doing ok and its been a long while but the rotosounds on my Jazz were dull in two weeks.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1370356334' post='2099625']
I have to agree with @iceonaboy. I like to have bright-sounding strings for playing harmonics or a bit of slap. I also like to sound like a whooly rhinoceros from the '60's with a nice bottom!
I might try picking a bespoke bass to string with flats and see how it goes while the others get their ration of roundwounds when I can afford it.
I dont have overly-greasy paws but some strings do just die super-quick. I have noticed the Warwick strings on my Warwick Thumb are doing ok and its been a long while but the rotosounds on my Jazz were dull in two weeks.
[/quote]
Rotosounds only last weeks before they sound dead and lifeless to me too.
And as I said above, the Warwicks last ok, but the 'wick EMPs are astounding value (even if they cost more). They will easily outlast 3 sets of just about any other string I've tried by quite a magnitude, ...and there's the value.
For me anyway. Others may just not like the way they sound ;P