Why become a member? ×

Songs which are harder than you expected

charic

I don't generally do deps, but on the rare occasions that I've done them, I've found that the hardest part is figuring out what is [i]actually[/i] being played!
20 years or so ago I was asked to dep for Bucks Fizz (regular guy was off doing Cliff). Even though it wasn't my kind of thing, I thought, "That'll be a doddle". Most of it wasn't a problem - until I came to this one...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePFLHPs4zLA[/media]
I had one week to learn the set from CDs, spent most of my time on this one track. Never imagined a Bucks Fizz song could be so tricky to nail.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1373008372' post='2132636']
Don't laugh but The main intro riff of London's Calling by the Clash is surprisingly tricky to pull off rhythmically and feel-wise. I thought it was going to be a piece of p1ss to learn, but I still have to concentrate a little bit extra when playing it. Still not sure whether to play the last note on the G or D string.
[/quote]

It's a nice bass line that's for sure. We do it in my band...along with The Spirit Of Radio......that's giving me a few issues at the moment but I'll get there!

Somebody Told Me, Killers. I've heard it covered by loads of bands (even Tony Hadley, recently!) but not once played correctly. I tried to do it as per but found getting all those slides, with hands going up and down, to keep in the groove was really hard. That band no longer exists so I don't have to concern myself any more.

As a function band we inevitably have to play Sex On Fire and I am ashamed to admit that we are quite capable of cocking up the timing between guitar. bass and drums at the start.
It sorts itself out after the first chorus but it has a certain feel to it which we either get just right or at the end of a long set sometimes not...

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1373201754' post='2134601']
Barracuda by heart. Timing is a git, specially when you have two guitarists who were fantastic but just couldn't get this right so it throws you.
[/quote] Ha, ha, we're doing that too. It's the bar of 5/4 in the verses that was throwing off both the guitarist and the drummer (yes only one guitarist). I had to spend most of the last rehearsal yelling out a count so they could stay in time in the verses :lol: :lol: .