Why become a member? ×

Jamerson's 62 Precision for sale

99ster

Just a quick warning - I've been offered an ex-James Jamerson 1962 Precision by a very well known vintage guitar dealer.
Suffice to say - this is a 100% scam. Just in case he, or any other dealers, contact anyone else on Basschat - please be advised to tell anyone offering to sell you anything like this that even if it was genuine it would have to be stolen property as Jamerson's 62 P Bass was stole from his house in 1983 whilst he was on his death bed.
I'm sure that the vast majority of guys on here would know this anyway - but just in case, I'd hate to find out that somebody has been caught out by this.

[quote name='finnbass' post='209302' date='May 30 2008, 01:13 AM']Hand-delivered by Elvis Presley riding Shergar, I've no doubt :)[/quote]

:huh:
I should have offered to swap it for my Jimi Hendrix white Strat that he played at Woodstock!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='209305' date='May 30 2008, 01:18 AM']name and shame man. No two ways about it.[/quote]

I would love to - but not on a website like this. As it's not me that would get the legal hassle, but the guys that run the site.

Well, as its a well known vintage guitar dealer, surely they must know whats going on?!

Have you e-mailed them telling them? i dont wish to insult your intelligence but this has really got to me for some reason, possibly as i have so much respect for jamerson!

To be fair, didn't Jamerson set his bass up will a silly high action and a large amount of bow in the neck? I can't help but think that the neck itself probably hasn't faired well if that bow was kept in it for 30 odd years.

Can you give us a clue to the name? Or at least the general location, eg: London, Leeds, Brighton etc...?

I couldn't agree more with st3_m3. Why are we so worried to name and shame. This is obviously a scam. Let the 'vintage' dealer come after Basschat if he likes. We know we are right here. Why should these unscrupulous people hide behind the fear of litigation. Let's hear who it is and stop messing around.

Are you sure you've been offered the actual funk machine - rather than one of the "signature" ones the Bass Centre LA got fender to make a few of? There is one (reputable) dealer I know of that had been trying to sell one of those for years which comes from the collection of a well-known bass player. I was almost tempted to buy it, but being a cheapskate I got an MIJ '62 resisue instead.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

I take it the guy must mean the "Signature" copies produced by Fender???

The Jamerson estate maintains that there are certain marks on the Funk Machine that only they know about and will authenticate anything presented to them. Surely if its the real deal, the seller would authenticate it first (and then nametheir price)??

I think perhaps some wires have been crossed here.

[quote name='99ster' post='209307' date='May 30 2008, 01:21 AM']I would love to - but not on a website like this. As it's not me that would get the legal hassle, but the guys that run the site.[/quote]

Thanks for the consideration - and yes, please don't mention any names :).

[quote name='99ster' post='209300' date='May 30 2008, 01:07 AM']Just a quick warning - I've been offered an ex-James Jamerson 1962 Precision by a very well known vintage guitar dealer.
Suffice to say - this is a 100% scam. Just in case he, or any other dealers, contact anyone else on Basschat - please be advised to tell anyone offering to sell you anything like this that even if it was genuine it would have to be stolen property as Jamerson's 62 P Bass was stole from his house in 1983 whilst he was on his death bed.
I'm sure that the vast majority of guys on here would know this anyway - but just in case, I'd hate to find out that somebody has been caught out by this.[/quote]

Well i am not sure what to make of all this...
Did this vintage dealer ring you and say 'pss..dont tell anyone ..i have the original...blah blah'
Or did you walk into his/her shop/house and there it was hanging on the wall.?
Or come into my backroom and have a look , but dont tell anyone?
Or Replying to what ? , an advert in the paper...Ebay?

I am not sure there would be anything wrong in naming the shop..surely..?? :)
Sorry for probing , just curious :huh:
Even so if it was genuine..buy it and give to the Jamerson family...
You would get on there family photo's :huh: