Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

I use a p1 and often mount it on top of a mic stand with my iPad. It has a threaded insert on he back. The built in limiter is reassuring. Not sure I'd gig with out one. Just be mindful not to run a signal that's too hot to it as the limiter is harsh.

For now, I've just spotted the Fischer In-Ear stick! Looks ideal as a back up unit. Will accept either mono balanced or unbalanced XLR/1/4" or stereo unbalanced XLR/1/4"! Small, active and enough power to drive my in-ears. Will also be handy for other headphone amp jobs too. Pretty much what I am looking for before I get a wireless set.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1476712750' post='3156525']
For now, I've just spotted the Fischer In-Ear stick! Looks ideal as a back up unit. Will accept either mono balanced or unbalanced XLR/1/4" or stereo unbalanced XLR/1/4"! Small, active and enough power to drive my in-ears. Will also be handy for other headphone amp jobs too. Pretty much what I am looking for before I get a wireless set.
[/quote]
I've actually used one of those on a dep gig. That'll do the job nicely.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476713272' post='3156540']
[/quote]

Pilfered. These will do nicely for the drummist and guitar player who are always wired.

Or the Behringer PM1? That'll work with the XR18 won't it?

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1476718193' post='3156609']
Pilfered. These will do nicely for the drummist and guitar player who are always wired.

[/quote]

I decided against the P1 simply because it's an unnecessary house brick. Completely no need for a belt pack to be that over sized lol! - For tub thumpers with this mounted to a stand, yes it will work well. There's also the LD HPA, Fischer equivalent and also a model by Presonus. All big and chunky!

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself over the Fischer 'stick. Should be quite a nice bit of kit. - I'd already started drafting schematics to have something like it made - and as it happens I think my own idea is better still.. but for now, something ready made will fit the job!

[/quote]

It will. Pretty much any of the headphone amps mentioned will suit that purpose. You can get them pretty cheap too... PM1 is about the cheapest for the belt pack solution though.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476713272' post='3156540']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1476720771' post='3156640']
Brilliant, thank you :) Ordered!
[/quote]

Right! Brilliant! It has arrived already! Can't wait to try it out!

Really pleased with it so far - a lot smaller than I thought and very light too!

Here's the information regarding the Fischer Amps In Ear Stick wired IEM headphone amplifier:

http://fischer-amps.de/inear-monitoring-hardware/in-ear-stick-neu.html

Still looking at IEM but a quick question, most, even the cheap ones seem to be stereo. I'd have though the monitor sends on most desks were mono but I'm not 100% on this.

I understand you could use 2 aux's to get a stereo mix but how do you achieve mono ? If you just chuck a mono lead from your aux to your transmitter do you just end up with it in one ear ?

Sorry if I'm being daft here.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1477131290' post='3160008']
Still looking at IEM but a quick question, most, even the cheap ones seem to be stereo. I'd have though the monitor sends on most desks were mono but I'm not 100% on this.

I understand you could use 2 aux's to get a stereo mix but how do you achieve mono ? If you just chuck a mono lead from your aux to your transmitter do you just end up with it in one ear ?

Sorry if I'm being daft here.
[/quote]
You can switch between mono and stereo operating modes - so even if you just plug in one cable, it sums to monos and comes out left and right in your ear buds.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477135533' post='3160054']
You can switch between mono and stereo operating modes - so even if you just plug in one cable, it sums to monos and comes out left and right in your ear buds.
[/quote]

Didn't work. Only got it in one ear. As per usual I was testing new kit at a gig so didn't have time to mess about.

It was the Gear4Music WMP 200 (Takstar rebranded) and as far as I can see there is no mono/stereo setting to alter. I'm assuming a lead with a mono jack wired to a stereo one sending the same signal to both sides should deal with this ?

Did revisit the "In ear monitors for pubs" thread to question colgraff as he had the same system. Totally dismayed and saddened to find he had passed away.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1477227056' post='3160672']

Didn't work. Only got it in one ear. As per usual I was testing new kit at a gig so didn't have time to mess about.
[/quote]
It's usually done in the software but I know those Tacstars are pretty basic on the functionality front...

in which case, try something like this .

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-635mm-mono-jack-socket-to-two-635mm-mono-jack-plugs-splitter-02m-black-te17t

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1477001663' post='3159257']
That's the badger. So when is the dood self build making an appearance?
[/quote]

The self build is on the shelf for a bit! Now the Fischer stick has come along there's less urgency to come up with a solution. The ability to run stereo down an XLR cable as well as being a small lightweight unit is a real winner. There's also a level switch for low and high impedance earphones too! It was worth the extra money.

In another thread, I touched on the use of a pilot tone for stereo separation... this link may be interesting to those that are running stereo systems and maybe not getting the results that they want - http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3219/~/notch-filter-allows-for-best-in-ear-monitor-mix-ever!

And now I am running with full hybrid kit - triggers ahoy! Looking forward to mixing with all this. :P

EDIT: sounds pretty immense - but you'll still need a mic if your drummer is into his ghost notes... to be honest, the blend of both the trigger and mic is where it's at.

Edited by EBS_freak

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article EBS.

Recently read through the thread and there's some great insight from you!

Which model of IEMs are you using, did I read correctly you have JHAudio Roxannes?

My band have just been offered endorsements with JHAudio and 64 Audio (formally 1964 ears).

In reality it's only 20% off :(
Have you any experience with 64 Audio?

We Headlined the Garage in London the other week and the monitor engineer was a 64 audio distributor. He got me onto 64 ears and was saying this company is unique due to having some apex technology which stops pneumatic pressure fatiguing your ears.

Is this some 'broscience' designed to put you off other companies do you know?

It's a bit of a ballache as well the pound being so weak as a quad set of customs from 64 will cost about £900 once customs have had their pound of flesh

Any help greatly received!

Cheers

Rob

Has anyone reading this thread tried or bought this system from Posse Audio?

www.posseaudio.com

The option to blend in ambient sound is very appealing to me and be able to control the mix right in front of you also looks cool. I don't sing so perhaps it's an overkill solution but would be keen to know if the stuff is any good though.

[quote name='MrPring' timestamp='1479510127' post='3177235']
Which model of IEMs are you using, did I read correctly you have JHAudio Roxannes?
[/quote]
I have a number of IEMs - my go to IEMs are JH Audio Roxannes.
[quote]
Is this some 'broscience' designed to put you off other companies do you know?
[/quote]
Who knows for sure?

The demonstrations certainly present a strong case for protecting your ears - although the miraculous results which are seen in the videos for the guys with severe hearing loss are using the active system, not the passive system which is in the IEMs. I don't think they always do a good job of making that fact clear. The tech has been mentioned in this thread before and is the brainchild of Steve Ambrose of Asius Technologies - It's called ADEL - although 64 have renamed/got their own version of it now which is called Apex. I don't know if there is some disagreement or shenanigans behind the scenes but the change was very quick and came as a surprise to everybody.

My gut feeling with regards to the passive systems is that it will go some way to protecting your ears drums by reducing the pressure but I don't believe they will do much if you still run the volumes of your IEMs too high. At the end of the day, sound waves are sound waves and have to have an energy to make your ear drums vibrate. They also reduce the isolation that the moulds give you. Depending upon your view of isolation, that may be a good thing or a bad thing. I personally think it's a bad thing as I am a firm believer that you should ideally hear nothing apart from what you put into your mix. if you want ambient sound, capture it and put it into your mix. I don't believe in leaky IEMs or having one IEM out and one in. If you have high levels of isolation, you can run your mix much quieter and the result will be a much safer sound pressure in you inears. I'm sure guys will be saying that APEX/ADEL system goes further to reduce this level - but theres not really any independent evidence out there to support or disprove this statement. Again, these all my views, there will be loads of people that disagree with me.

[quote]
It's a bit of a ballache as well the pound being so weak as a quad set of customs from 64 will cost about £900 once customs have had their pound of flesh
[/quote]
Indeed, I bought my 64s before the rebranding and introduction of ADEL/APEX - and one of their big selling points was their competitive price point. As a bass player or a drummer, I would not recommend anything less than a quad driver with dual lows so you have enough headroom in the bass (although I seem to come across people who seem to disagree with me and say that a Shure 215 is comparable... funny they can make such statements when they clearer have no other IEM experience apart from those 215s) - and £900 is still a boat load of money. If money is a big concern, I believe the best cost efficient option is getting a set of UE900s and getting them reshelled via Inearz - http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/reshells-remoulds/reshelling-remoulding-service-for-in-ear-monitors.html - that way you'll get a quad driver for around the £400. The other £500 you can then put towards some decent radio if you want to go that route.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1479538273' post='3177288']
Has anyone reading this thread tried or bought this system from Posse Audio?

www.posseaudio.com

The option to blend in ambient sound is very appealing to me and be able to control the mix right in front of you also looks cool. I don't sing so perhaps it's an overkill solution but would be keen to know if the stuff is any good though.
[/quote]

Im sure I had posted about this before but the search brings up nothing. Looks a pretty good solution to me :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1479563260' post='3177499']
I believe the best cost efficient option is getting a set of UE900s and getting them reshelled via Inearz - [url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/reshells-remoulds/reshelling-remoulding-service-for-in-ear-monitors.html"]http://www.custom-in...r-monitors.html[/url] - that way you'll get a quad driver for around the £400. The other £500 you can then put towards some decent radio if you want to go that route.
[/quote]

Just dipping into this thread so forgive me if I've missed anything...
My main "gig" at the moment is church, where we've no backline and a IEM system (all get to mix your own mix on a pad infant of you) for the past few years been making do with some Sony in-ear headphones - like £30 consumer level ones. They aren't bad.
I caught myself looking at the "amps and cabs for sale" forum and realised that if anything would help me when I'm playing it's a better set of headphones/IEM - am I right in thinking that the UE900s is the budget version people would recommend to go for? Then reshell later as fund allow?