Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1454874079' post='2973829']

One of the things Russ has suggested to me in the past is to get a couple of small condensors setup either side of the stage and use these as "ambients" to get the crowd. These are only fed into the monitor mixes, NOT out front.

We've yet to purchase a couple specifically for this task but have tried a spare dynamic on the front of the stage on a small boom where the vocalists are and it really helps liven the in-ear mix up and help get back some of the feel of the audience.
[/quote]

This. Mics is the way.

The ACS Live system is great as long as SPL on stage is low. They tend to distort if there's lots of bass or just... a lot of noise.

You guys are awesome. Thank you! I even thought about taking the line out of a Zoom recorder (which is live all the time) and mixing that in to my earphone mix. I might try it any way, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just received one of the t bone 75 sets. I bought a base set and an extra belt pack for the drummer. Really disappointed with it. The vocals don't come through too bad but the bass seems to carry a hiss with it that I could never live with in a gigging situation. I've messaged thomann to see if this is normal or if the unit's faulty. Disappointed :-(

Our guitarist has the gear for music set that he seems quite pleased with except for the fact that when you give it a mono send, as out aux outs are, he only receives a signal in one ear. How would I go about fixing this? Could I rewire a stereo lead somehow?

Aw man, sorry to hear that. I've not got experience of these units to state what the normal state of play with them is. I would like to get hold of a load of lower cost systems to be able to do a comparison of their performance to see if you really do have to spend, spend, spend to get a good radio solution. I know the LD system gets praise but I've never actually used one to determine where they sit with regards to the competition. I know tonyf and his band use them and they seem pretty happy with the results. Maybe if you can stretch to those, that may be the way to go, especially if you must go radio.

I've got a friend who has the g4m for music one but has since replaced it with an EW300 G3 so I don't know if that tells us what we need to know but shall try and get hold of the g4m one to compare against my stash of radio stuff. Are you using the correct jack ends? You need a stereo jack one end and mono jack the other end - not a common combination - if not, that is probably causing your issues.

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1457588140' post='2999860']
Our guitarist has the gear for music set that he seems quite pleased with except for the fact that when you give it a mono send, as out aux outs are, he only receives a signal in one ear. How would I go about fixing this? Could I rewire a stereo lead somehow?
[/quote]

This doesn't happen to me and I have the same kit. I don't have an suggestions, though.

Been busy with StingrayPete (formerly of this Parish) rejigging the inears rig... that patch bay was a bit of a labour of love - much soldering and even attaching the nyloc nut and bolts (to hold the XLRs in place took an age. So, power distribution in place, lots of BNC cables, lots and lots of XLRs, lots and lots of soldering, cable stripping, crimping, zip ties, powercon in place and a late night later... Just waiting upon delivery of the final transmitter and this particular rig will be done and dusted!

Got to love a project.

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1457588140' post='2999860']
I just received one of the t bone 75 sets. I bought a base set and an extra belt pack for the drummer. Really disappointed with it. The vocals don't come through too bad but the bass seems to carry a hiss with it that I could never live with in a gigging situation. I've messaged thomann to see if this is normal or if the unit's faulty. Disappointed :-(

[/quote]

Thomann's reply:
Dear Colin,

thank you for your enquiry.

I am afraid that the disturbing sounds you get are normal in the price range of the IEM 75. So if you are not satisfied with it, I recommend to get a In Ear of higher quality. If you want to return the IEM 75, please contact our international customer care:

Well, can't argue with them for being honest!

To be fair, this is what I have found so far. The quality of the compounder and the quality of the RF transmission is absolute key. As I have stated before, I'd love to try the LD systems to give an idea of what the quality of those are like in comparison to my benchmark of the PSM900 and EW300.

The other thing is, it depends what you are used to. If you have never used anything else, then pretty much any in ears system is likely to be a revelation. Similarly, I guess it depends what your expectation from an inears system is. For example, if I hear of somebody saying the PSM200 is great, then I immediately question what that user is staying. Having tried that system extensively, I can say, it's pants and I would not be happy using it. Crappy RF, sound quality is really harsh in the top end and the bottom end is ugh. The compounder is not good.

If you are hellbent on inears, my advice - and I think this has been echoed in the thread throughout, is just buy right from the word go. It will save you money in the long run. Save up for the Sennheiser EW300s G3 and you are away. I may change that statement to include the LD system when I eventually get around to hearing it but obviously at this stage, I can't comment.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1457623777' post='3000307']
I am afraid that the disturbing sounds you get are normal
[/quote]

Just read the response back again.

What an amazing line to include in reference to a piece of audio equipment.

EDIT:

Or is he just criticising us bass players?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457624718' post='3000326']
To be fair, this is what I have found so far. The quality of the compounder and the quality of the RF transmission is absolute key. As I have stated before, I'd love to try the LD systems to give an idea of what the quality of those are like in comparison to my benchmark of the PSM900 and EW300.
[/quote]

You're more than welcome to try ours mate. I've got them racked up here at Chez TonyF with the XR18 so message me offline and we'll arrange a get together.

I'm guessing what you say is true like most things in life, the more you pay, the better you get. With our LD Systems units, they were a great first step into the IEM world and, with nothing to compare to, we've been really really happy with them. Yes, the occasional complaint about a bit of RFI now and again but it's accepted that within the budget that we had, we weren't expecting broadcast quality gear and everyone seems happy with the investment.

Have just looked at the Sennheiser and Shures you mention, it'd no doubt make a world of difference to have IEMs of that standard but it's really difficult convincing the whole band that the investment is worth it where we are in terms of gigging.

I started with an LD MEI 100 system (which i still have as a backup) but moved onto a Sennheiser EW300 so although i'm no expert on these things i found the following differences with the systems :-

The noise floor is not that much different between them - the EW300 is better but not so you'd notice when playing
The EW300 hardware is much sturdier - metal Tx case and a better quality feel about the whole system - having said that, I've had no reliability issues with the LD system it's more that you get the impression the EW300 will stand up to heavier usage
More audio / transmission adjustments with the EW300 including the EQ, limiter which i find useful (although with a digital desk and a dedicated Aux feed, less so)
Rack mounting hardware a bit sturdier on the EW300 but once it's racked i guess that makes little difference
Audio quality is better on the EW300 - this is my subjective opinion - it just sounds better (this is why i'll never write reviews for audio equipment !!). If you're using high-end moulded IEM's then the difference may be more noticeable than with the bundled earphones or SE215's for example.

All in all i would say the EW300 is an improvement over the LD but like all things - the more you spend the smaller the perceived improvement. I think it's worth investing in the EW300 (or similarly spec'd systems) if, like me, you like shiny things and you're using it on a regular basis where the extra potential reliability may be a factor.

Edited by intime-nick

Good point - It's probably worth noting that the EW300 has a continuous tuning range whereas the LD has presets. This may not worry a lot of people in reality but if you are using a lot of radio gear, the fixed frequencies can be a pain when trying to configure up a larger number of units for a show. Was only talking about this with Tony yesterday - coordinating channel 38 (and 823-832 range) and channel 70 gear and the limitations.

EW300 has another cool feature... remote access via network - if you are pushing out config, the EW300 can also be put on a network to listen for configs that are pushed to it - useful if you have a lot of devices to configure. But again, I am guessing that is out of most casual users requirements.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='martinbass7750' timestamp='1458308756' post='3006459']
Have you ever tried the AKG IVM4500? I have one but I'm not really happy with it.
[/quote]

I disliked the DSP on it - funnily enough, the selling point of it. I had a mate that was looking to buy one when they first came out but had trouble finding one. Told him to go the PSM900 route and he's been happy as ever since. So, my advice would be turn off all the DSP stuff and feed all that stuff in from the desk. I seem to recall it having not a very flattering limiter/compression on it.

For that sort of money, I'd defo be in the PSM900 camp.

• 3 weeks later...

Working on a new rig for a mate. XR18 and IEM rig. Proper versatile setup.

All front mounted sockets, including the power so to avoid bending down too far when plugging in all the channels. Nice little stage box that sits next to the drums. Three piece band, two individual mono feeds from the IEM transmitter (with two receivers), one wired solution to the drums. Spare rack for potential inclusion of a dbx drive rack maybe, or further IEM system if they ever want to go down the stereo route in the future.

Edited by EBS_freak