Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

I've taken the advice from you and this thread using the 1964 Qi as a base line whilst explaining my needs. I expect I will have lots of discussions, visits and coffee before making a final decision. These are early days yet and I've had lots of suggestions for makes and models which it seems Paul stocks. I'll be able to get some comparisons that will hopefully enable me to narrow the choices down.

• 2 weeks later...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Replacement-Ultimate-Earphones-RC-UE1-Black/dp/B006DIFXTG"]http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B006DIFXTG[/url]

they even do one day delivery

google is your friend :D

edit: not sure if these are for pre 2010 ones

Edited by Chrismanbass

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Replacement-Ultimate-Earphones-RC-UE1-Black/dp/B006DIFXTG"]http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B006DIFXTG[/url]

edit: not sure if these are for pre 2010 ones but this one should do

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/CrownTrade%C2%AE-Replacement-Earphone-Triple-fi-earphones/dp/B00134051Q"]http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00134051Q[/url]

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1425731604' post='2710136']

edit: not sure if these are for pre 2010 ones but this one should do

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/CrownTrade%C2%AE-Replacement-Earphone-Triple-fi-earphones/dp/B00134051Q"]http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00134051Q[/url]
[/quote]

Hey Chrissman, yeah I'd seen both of those but thanks - the CrownTrade ones are post 2010 fitting, and the FiiO have terrible reviews :-/

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426454090' post='2718231']
How you get on?
[/quote]

What a superb visit! - Yeah, Paul was great. Patient and knew that I wanted to demo the products with zero bias. He asked the right questions to help me form my choices and didn't steer me at all. I didn't take any preconceived ideas with me nor did I look too hard at the individual specifications either. Just trusted my ears and music source!

Given my budget and my needs, I am pretty sure I've made the right choice. I'd totally recommend the Custom IEM Company to anyone - especially as they have such a wide stock of all the major IEM brands.

I demo'd Ultimate Ears, JH Audio and 1964 specifically. Again, given my budget and needs, it did mean that I struggled a bit as they are all very good. However, there was one IEM in the price bracket that delivered the goods I needed. The JH and UE had a superb clarity and detail that I crave, but just one set I tried also had a weight and clarity in the lows that actually made me smile from ear to ear. I went to give the Qi a whirl but came away having ordered the 1964 V8. :)

Some details here:

[quote]
[color=#000000][font=arial][size=1]The 1964 Ears 1964-V8 Custom In Ear Monitors are designed for the most discerning listener and are tuned with bass lovers in mind. The V8 is handcrafted with eight balanced armature drivers in each monitor, coupled with a three-way crossover that yields unrivalled sonic purity. Featuring a Triple Bore design, they allow for the IEM's high, mid and low frequency sound components to be sent through separate passages in the sound port, this approach results in a more convincing and transparent transition between frequency ranges.[/size][/font][/color]

[b]Center Drive Technology:[/b][color=#000000][font=arial][size=1] Unlike conventional balanced armature drivers, theirs are designed with the drive-rod in the centre of the diaphragm. The result is a remarkably dynamic, deep, and rich bass response.[/size][/font][/color]

[b]3-Way Crossover:[/b][color=#000000][font=arial][size=1] Their true, 3-way crossover directs frequencies optimized for each driver. This dramatically increases headroom and reduces distortion.[/size][/font][/color]

[b]Triple Bore Design:[/b][color=#000000][font=arial][size=1] By dedicating a separate bore to each frequency range, the V8 is able to deliver sound from each driver without frequency or phase distortion.[/size][/font][/color]

[b]3D Soundstage:[/b][color=#000000][font=arial][size=1] Each proprietary driver used in the V8 was engineered to work together in harmony to produce a realistic and spacious soundstage.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=arial][size=1][/quote][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1426525376' post='2718862']
Does anyone own any "Cosmic Ears"? A guy was wandering the LBGS demonstrating some 6 driver in ears, which I thought were rather good, and considerably cheaper than most at £425, plus £50 for the impressions...

www.cosmicears.com
[/quote]

Hey! I'd had them recommended to me too and they seem to get good reviews but I went with the brands I could physically try out and thus these weren't on the demo list.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1426545546' post='2719279']
What a superb visit! - Yeah, Paul was great. Patient and knew that I wanted to demo the products with zero bias. He asked the right questions to help me form my choices and didn't steer me at all. I didn't take any preconceived ideas with me nor did I look too hard at the individual specifications either. Just trusted my ears and music source!

Given my budget and my needs, I am pretty sure I've made the right choice. I'd totally recommend the Custom IEM Company to anyone - especially as they have such a wide stock of all the major IEM brands.

I demo'd Ultimate Ears, JH Audio and 1964 specifically. Again, given my budget and needs, it did mean that I struggled a bit as they are all very good. However, there was one IEM in the price bracket that delivered the goods I needed. The JH and UE had a superb clarity and detail that I crave, but just one set I tried also had a weight and clarity in the lows that actually made me smile from ear to ear. I went to give the Qi a whirl but came away having ordered the 1964 V8. :)
[/quote]

Ha Tony - you have a friend! A quad in the lows is a massive sound. It's what I love about the JH16s and V8s and my Roxannes. You probably realised when you tested them, they are all great... but one of them will speak to you with it's sound signature... for you it was the V8 :)

So what colour scheme did you go for?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1426545734' post='2719283']
Hey! I'd had them recommended to me too and they seem to get good reviews but I went with the brands I could physically try out and thus these weren't on the demo list.
[/quote]

yup, I agree, you cannot make an expensive decision like that without being able to do a side by side comparison....

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1426545546' post='2719279']
....but just one set I tried also had a weight and clarity in the lows that actually made me smile from ear to ear. I went to give the Qi a whirl but came away having ordered the 1964 V8. :)
[/quote]

Top choice goodly gentle man.

PS. A year later and I still have the smile from ear to ear every time I put them in!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426547056' post='2719300']
Ha Tony - you have a friend! A quad in the lows is a massive sound. It's what I love about the JH16s and V8s and my Roxannes. You probably realised when you tested them, they are all great... but one of them will speak to you with it's sound signature... for you it was the V8 :)
[/quote]

He shoots, he scores! :D

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426547056' post='2719300']

So what colour scheme did you go for?
[/quote]

Yes! I mean, the Qi model was very good and originally that is what I had agreed with myself to spend on.. but you know how it is..lol. I'd have kicked myself if I had tried the V8's but went with the Qi's. Don't get me wrong, the Qi is very good - but the articulation in the lows that I heard in the V8's was noticeable. A bit like the difference between drop tuning a 37" scale bass vs a 33": Note definition, timbre and punch.

I left the JH16's and similar in the cupboard. That would have made my bank card wince I think. I'm better off not hearing them for now! I know there will always be better - but the V8's offered what I needed and that's great.

Colours? Well I'm playing with the 1964 designer so that I can upload a picture!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1426550173' post='2719336']
yup, I agree, you cannot make an expensive decision like that without being able to do a side by side comparison....
[/quote]

And I am VERY fussy!! heh heh!

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1426582696' post='2719430']
Top choice goodly gentle man.

PS. A year later and I still have the smile from ear to ear every time I put them in!
[/quote]

Thanks Tony! Yeah, these are gonna get lots of use!!

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1426582758' post='2719431']
He shoots, he scores! :D
[/quote]

I appreciate the help from you guys Tonyf and EBS_Freak. This whole thread has been very useful and I thank you EBS for taking the time to share your experiences in such detail.

Edited by dood

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1426593694' post='2719583']
[attachment=186727:DoodInEars.PNG]
[/quote]

I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!!!!! Absolutely brilliant!!

I've ordered translucent deep purple shells with black cables. You did actually get the clef right though. I've put a gold clef on each ear and, well, so I don't lose 'em, I've got my name on 'em too!!

You'll have to imagine the gold writing!

Edited by dood

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426601481' post='2719717']
Glad to hear it all went well. Now comes the wait eh?!
[/quote]

Thank you! Yeah, recommendation greatly appreciated mate! Oh the wait... I'm not very good with waiting.... still, it's faster than a custom bass build!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1426624157' post='2720072']
I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!!!!! Absolutely brilliant!!

I've ordered translucent deep purple shells with black cables. You did actually get the clef right though. I've put a gold clef on each ear and, well, so I don't lose 'em, I've got my name on 'em too!!

You'll have to imagine the gold writing!
[/quote]

Matches your Shuker!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1426624209' post='2720076']
Thank you! Yeah, recommendation greatly appreciated mate! Oh the wait... I'm not very good with waiting.... still, it's faster than a custom bass build!
[/quote]

64 are usually pretty good to be honest... It's JH you are in for a wait with!