Why become a member? ×

Gibson Ripper rescue

neepheid

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1367182819' post='2062386']
Is that the order that they would be originally?

Every bass I've had with this wiring system has been bridge only, both in parallel, both in series, neck only.
[/quote]

Yup, more Gibson nutty madness for you. The original wiring was thus:

1. Both, series, in phase
2. Bridge only
3. Both, parallel, in phase
4. Both, series, out of phase

I'm simply replacing 4 with neck only as I reckon it'll be a damn sight more useful than any out of phase wiring. I'm smart enough to retool the schematic I have for the new switch, but I'm not smart enough to rejig the switch positions, and to be honest the slight lack of logic to it doesn't really bother me that much. It is what it is.

Although one might pop up tomorrow, I'm not banking on an actual "THE RIPPER" truss rod cover to become available any time soon so I'm going to roll my own as a stopgap. Someone kindly scanned their TRC and I worked from that.

From this:

Through this:

To this:

I had an old broken TRC lying around so I printed it off, cut it out and stuck it down with sticky tape for a test:

Not bad! (Sorry Jules for once again nicking one of your photos). I think the writing may be a mite too big (getting measurements from the guy who produced the scan) but that's a good thing. In the short term I will make a waterslide transfer and apply that to a blank TRC, but I guess if I wanted a permanent solution I should get it etched. No idea if there's anyone out there who will work on a one-off piece this small though.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1367685161' post='2068418']
Tasty. Where did you get the bridge cover from?
[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290910503061"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290910503061[/url]

[quote name='captainhaddock' timestamp='1367704247' post='2068674']
I would try fretsonthenet.com for the trussrod cover he does one off pieces at a reasonable price!
[/quote]

Interesting, have made contact to see if he could work from a scan of an original TRC. Cheers for the info :)

Not much happening at the moment - drumming my fingers waiting for exciting, project advancing items to arrive in the post. Don't suppose the bank holiday helped much.

Stuff incoming:

Pickguard/screws
1 pickup
Machine heads and ferrules (from different sources, stars aligned with mere hours to spare)
Pots
Chicken head knob
TRC
Laser waterslide paper

Got some household expenses to take care of this month, so I think that's all the acquisitions I can handle for now. Will hopefully get lacquer sorted out next month. Are you listening, eBay? NO RIPPER PICKUPS FOR THE REST OF THE MONTH, PLEASE.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1368019465' post='2072099']
I've found 3 black speed knobs among my spares if you want them.

I reckon they are to fit oriental splined pots however rather than USA types.
[/quote]

Sounds like those might not work then, I believe my incoming 250K pots are from a USA Gibson and the 300K pot that I have yet to get will almost certainly be this one from Thomann - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_potentiometer_300kohm.htm"]Gibson Poti 300kO Linear Taper Short - Thomann UK[/url] and again will be the USA splined pot, which means I might as well get these and hopefully ensure a happy and harmonious fit - [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_gisk010_potiknoepfe.htm"]Gibson PRSK-010 Potiknobs - Thomann UK[/url]

Cheers for the offer though, it is appreciated :)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1368022943' post='2072154']
Have you not got those pots yet? I posted them from work on Friday.
P
[/quote]

Not yet, was hoping they might arrive today - bank holiday on Monday probably messed things up a bit.

Things have slowed down a lot - waiting on a lot of stuff to arrive from the States, and had a slater to pay so no more goodies for me this month. Took care of a wee job - trimming the 4 way switch down to size.

Not the most thrilling update ever, but it's progress with pictures. I could probably take a couple more mm off, but I'll wait until it's in situ in the final assembly before doing that.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1368659796' post='2080043']
Have you decided on a colour? Cos natural looks pretty sweet actually! It'd look great with an ultra-glossy finish I reckon. That or mocha.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Yes, I have decided. The colour will be "Wine Red". Only Grabbers were available in it back in the day, but I think it looks great!

That's a mockup, but if it looks as good as that when it's finished, I'll be delighted.

Ooh very nice!

I don't suppose you noticed there's another Grabber/Ripper/G3 in bits on the EBay? Body, neck, pickguard and pup surround. Maybe email the dude; might have some difficult to source parts?

(it's not being sold as Gibson, just as 'bass guitar body' etc)

Truckstop