Why become a member? ×

Gibson Ripper rescue

neepheid

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1368692987' post='2080155']
Ooh very nice!

I don't suppose you noticed there's another Grabber/Ripper/G3 in bits on the EBay? Body, neck, pickguard and pup surround. Maybe email the dude; might have some difficult to source parts?

(it's not being sold as Gibson, just as 'bass guitar body' etc)

Truckstop
[/quote]

I had a look and it's a Grabber copy, not the real deal. Not much common parts between the Ripper and the Grabber either. Cheers for the headsup though :) In any case I can't afford to do anything more this month - car goes for MOT tomorrow, and I know it wants front brake pads (and possibly discs) at the very least :(

The only "weird" thing I need to find is the 4 position dial plate for the varitone rotary switch. It looks like this:

It's far from essential, so I'm not losing any sleep over it, but it would be nice!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368694704' post='2080187']
I had a look and it's a Grabber copy, not the real deal. Not much common parts between the Ripper and the Grabber either. Cheers for the headsup though :) In any case I can't afford to do anything more this month - car goes for MOT tomorrow, and I know it wants front brake pads (and possibly discs) at the very least :(

The only "weird" thing I need to find is the 4 position dial plate for the varitone rotary switch. It looks like this:

It's far from essential, so I'm not losing any sleep over it, but it would be nice![/quote]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Blank-Discs-47mm-Diameter-Sheet-Metal-Engraving-Gravograph-Trophy-Plates-/271200235660?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&var=570155977886&hash=item3f24cb308c"]Any use?[/url] They'd need trimming to size and a hole drilling/cutting, but ought to work with a transfer overlay as per the TRC.

P

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368694704' post='2080187']

It's far from essential, so I'm not losing any sleep over it, but it would be nice!
[/quote]

Wow, those little bastards are hard to find. Even the ones with 5 pos.

I would get one of the 5'ers and permanent marker out the 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay for pay day. Lacquer is ordered.

Got a new, slightly more palatable option for the second pickup - Aaron Armstrong can clone the pickup I have. Similar base cost to the Seymour Duncan custom shop replacement, but without all the international carriage and added VAT so will work out cheaper, and means me doing my bit to keep the UK consumer spending figures up.

Edited by neepheid

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this, just been a bit busy with other things. It's away on its holidays to get refinished now. I've contacted Curt Novak about getting a choke made to original specs, waiting to hear back. I presume I'm going to have to sort out the mounting of the choke myself, so I'll have a bit of metalwork to do. Early Rippers had a simple L-shaped bracket soldered to the side of one of the pots, later ones had a plate which fitted underneath the pot like a washer with an angled bit for the choke to attach to. Both approaches then simply bolted through with an appropriate machine screw/nut. I'll probably go with the soldered bracket, because it's simpler to make, and I'm only making one of 'em.

Off on the scrounge for a suitable small bit of metal then!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1376405160' post='2173456']
We need progress.
[/quote]

I need funds. Got a pickup to get cloned. Plus the body/neck is away getting refinished. You'll get news about that when I get news about that, promise :)

I suppose I could decide how I'm mounting this choke.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376769157' post='2178996']
I need funds. Got a pickup to get cloned. Plus the body/neck is away getting refinished. You'll get news about that when I get news about that, promise :)

I suppose I could decide how I'm mounting this choke.
[/quote]
This one is a slow burner...but a good burner!

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1376934292' post='2181177']
could you send me a few pictures of the string retainer on the rear of the bass?
[/quote]

I'd love to oblige but I don't have the bass in my possession at the moment. There is no single string retainer, this is a pre-1977 Ripper with individual holes and some sort of recessed metal insert (a bit like a boot eyelet?) in each of the holes instead of the single recessed metal plate of post-1976 models. The differences are detailed here: [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Ripper_variations.php"]http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Ripper_variations.php[/url] - This is the best picture of the individual holes I can find online:

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1377117478' post='2183683']
Did you decide on natural in the end?
[/quote]

No, that's just a base coat of sanding sealer in preparation for the translucent cherry red. I want that deep, dark red like on EB basses. All the way up the back of the neck too. Usual black headstock with the appropriate gold Gibson logo.

Edited by neepheid

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...