Why become a member? ×

custom built bass cabs

ebenezer

i have a good celestion sidewinder 15 inch driver and would like to put it into
a cab and i was wondering if there are any cab builders or good diy-ers
would be up for it?

cheers me dears.

ps.....had no luck finding compact empty cab!!

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1365800014' post='2044826']
Are you sure about that Bill? I'm sure I remember bass drivers in the sidewinder range as well.
[/quote]AFAIK there are no T/S specs anywhere for them, but they were supposedly a knock off of the EV SRO, which was a guitar/musical instrument driver, back before there was much differentiaton, if any, between guitar and bass drivers. I had an SRO 15, which was a monster guitar driver, able to split eardrums at 200 meters. On bass it would fart out at 40 watts.

cheers folks......yes marshall did fit the sidewinder 15 in some of there cabs.....this driver was celestions answer to ev .....12s and 15s......edge wound voice coil
and high sensitivity 101-102db......

regards......mark

If it is quoting that sensitivity then it probably has a short voice coil and correspondingly short excursion, not really designed for bass. Because they are moving components and therefore wear out old speakers are not a good bet for longevity, especially if you push them hard.

Don't spend a fortune on this speaker, the best use for it is in restoring vintage gear probably, it might be fun to see how it sounds but it isn't going to make a gigging bass speaker.

just for information.....i've had this driver from new....it is an all purpose speaker and was loaded in ev 606 design box and always sounded good....(not too much bottom end,but
punchy).....i surpose in sound it had elements of a 12......cab was mdf and too heavy....will probably go for compact bag end design....easy build(got all hardware)

with reference to the size of voice-coil....i believe it is 2.5 inches.
never heard speaker farting on bottom end....and its had some punishment over the years!!

well there you are me dears.....i'm off to buy some 5mm plywood ,grill cloth and some six inch nails!

Guest bassman7755

Why bother when you could just buy something like this ..

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-115-bx-bass-cab-speaker-/200913672737?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item2ec7635a21"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2ec7635a21[/url]

Hed probably take 100 for it, and how much change from a 100 quid are you going to be left with by the time youve bought everything to make your own ?.

Edited by bassman7755

Cheap empty 1x15 cab here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Empty-unloaded-compact-ASHDOWN-MAG-115-15-BASS-CABINET-/161010445447?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item257cf86c87
(nothing to do with me, I just saw it earlier when looking for something else)