Why become a member? ×

Question about wireless systems

Edinburgh_Bass

Hi - hoping somebody can help me out a little. I'm thinking about getting a wireless system for my bass, and having looked at a few I've noticed some units have a frequency response only as far down as 50 Hz (eg: Samson Airline 77). Am I right in thinking this means the unit will not transmit the bottom E (I also have a drop-D tuner). Brand new to this area so any advice would be very much appreciated - thanks.

[quote name='Tinman' timestamp='1365415148' post='2039091']
I can't answer your question I'm afraid but you could maybe look at the Line 6 G series systems. I have a G30 and the specs say it goes down to 10Hz and I've never had any problems playing drop D.

Pete
[/quote]

Best wireless system I've ever used, really wish I owned my own!

Also, I believe one of the only units that can be used internationally without licence issues?

Anything digital over the public band is going to see you OK in terms of quality (compounder free for maximum freq response) - Line6, Sony DWZ (My fave in this category - priced in between the G30 (e.g. 50 quid more) and G50 but far superior transmitter build quality), StageClix... (Basically these work in the same domain as wi-fi so if wi-fi is legal, so is your wireless).

Shure ULX-D is the ultimate but requires a license as it's typically working over channel 38.

I have both the ULX-D and the Sony DWZ and I have to say the Sony sound quality and latency is identical although to be fair, the Shure also has encryption which the Sony DWZB30GB doesn't. Having said that, you can pay a bit more and get the mic lapel system and get encryption with the Sony stuff also... although thats still on the public band - which may or may not suit you.

Analogue systems will generally be not so good for bass due to the presence of a compounder and roll off on the frequency response.

Edited by EBS_freak

I have used a Samson Airline (bass version) and have had no problem with the lower frequencies. In fact I'm pretty sure I used it in a band where we were doing one tune in drop D, again the signal came through fine. Not currently in use in my present band though that may change in future.

[quote name='Edinburgh_Bass' timestamp='1365412733' post='2039057']
Hi - hoping somebody can help me out a little. I'm thinking about getting a wireless system for my bass, and having looked at a few I've noticed some units have a frequency response only as far down as 50 Hz (eg: Samson Airline 77). Am I right in thinking this means the unit will not transmit the bottom E (I also have a drop-D tuner). Brand new to this area so any advice would be very much appreciated - thanks.
[/quote]

I use a Samson Airline 77 and tune down to Drop B and Drop C, sometimes Drop A and I've never had a problem with it at all.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1365421001' post='2039198']
I have used a Samson Airline (bass version) and have had no problem with the lower frequencies. In fact I'm pretty sure I used it in a band where we were doing one tune in drop D, again the signal came through fine. Not currently in use in my present band though that may change in future.
[/quote]

There is only so much bandwidth available - I'm wondering if the bass version shifts the compounder from being biased on the bass side to be being biased on the top end - hence a distinct treble roll off?

I'm currently selling a audio technica system, and in use never noticed any loss of low end. I've used a few cheaper systems over the years and even then you dont really lose anything that cant be eq'd back in at the amp end.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1365421487' post='2039213']
I used to use a Samson Concert 4, my band had a coupleof songs in low A and I never had a problem.

Ive still got it, and would love to be able to use it, but i dont think I can, is that right? What would happen if I did?
[/quote]

You'd explode at the speed of light!

[quote name='mikeh' timestamp='1365421614' post='2039217']
I've used a few cheaper systems over the years and even then you dont really lose anything that cant be eq'd back in at the amp end.
[/quote]

Eeek, ick, ick, ick!

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1365428918' post='2039421']
I suspected it might be something like this......or worse
[/quote]

I'm guessing that it will be on the old public channel meaning that it's now illegal for use. In reality, nothing will happen if you use it... it's more if you get caught using it. The penalty is a hefty fine and in some circumstances, you could be arrested for it.

It's a VHF system right? Old school!

The Stageclix came highly recommended, I brought one, but, and it is a big but, it doesn't work with 3 of my 4 active basses, it produces a very unpleasent high pitched whine with all but the Stingray bass, the dealer who sold it to me is currently asking Stageclix for advice as it could be I just have a faulty one

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1365441136' post='2039695']
The Stageclix came highly recommended, I brought one, but, and it is a big but, it doesn't work with 3 of my 4 active basses, it produces a very unpleasent high pitched whine with all but the Stingray bass, the dealer who sold it to me is currently asking Stageclix for advice as it could be I just have a faulty one
[/quote]

Is it the bug or the pack system? There's been a few things with the bug ones getting a bit of interference from being so close to the active circuitry, so they sell and extension cable and strap holder for them to get them further away.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1365442355' post='2039710']
Is it the bug or the pack system? There's been a few things with the bug ones getting a bit of interference from being so close to the active circuitry, so they sell and extension cable and strap holder for them to get them further away.

Liam
[/quote]It is the Stageclix Jack system....I will look in to the possibility of an extension that will move it away from the actives

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1365442602' post='2039715']
It is the Stageclix Jack system....I will look in to the possibility of an extension that will move it away from the actives
[/quote]

There's [url="http://www.stageclix.com/products/accessories"]this[/url] one from Stageclix (scroll down the page a little) though i expect you could easily get the same for quite a bit less in other places.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1365442782' post='2039720']
There's [url="http://www.stageclix.com/products/accessories"]this[/url] one from Stageclix (scroll down the page a little) though i expect you could easily get the same for quite a bit less in other places.

Liam
[/quote]Thanks for that, you may well have just saved me a small fortune :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1365421603' post='2039216']
There is only so much bandwidth available - I'm wondering if the bass version shifts the compounder from being biased on the bass side to be being biased on the top end - hence a distinct treble roll off?
[/quote]

I didn't notice any significant difference in the signal I got with the Samson unit compared with a cable. There is a very low level 'white noise' in the signal which I found is only audible whilst practising alone, could never hear it at proper gigging volume.