Why become a member? ×

why do so many bass players drive a Ford Focus?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1365320445' post='2037889']
Why focii? because bass players are a knowledgable, well informed, intelligent breed..
.just avoid the 'kiss of death' 1.6 diesels!

Although ive bought and sold hundreds of focii my current 'squeeze' is an old london taxi....diesel auto people carrier huge area in the back....i would think they make a reasonable tour bus.

only 5 or so left in london....prices on the rise.
[/quote]

Too late mine is a 1.6 Citroen engine! A long as it keeps going though I will be happy, 60mpg on a run £30 tax but on a zetec spec car with almost all the options ticked :)

Always x1000 use the correct oil pete...its expensive for a reason...wrong oil gums up iinternal oil feeds and returns.....then turbo ingests itself thru lack of lubrication..... a lot of the problem is independant garages cutting corners...10w40 being up to a quarter of the cost.....very good car otherwise....very cheap warranty price (for a modern diesel) says more than i can.

When I was at hunting I was initially after a Focus :lol: I've got a mark 1 Skoda Fabia now and that does the job just as well as my previous Vauxhall Agila / VW Polo, although I've not tried a double bass in this one! I know I can get a cased Roland RD700 in there, though that was with the passenger seat slid forwards and then the rear seat squab completely removed :P

It happily swallows up my Trace rig, bass, pedalboard flightcase and cable / bits box with the parcel shelf in and space for two passengers, so I can live with that!

It's also just as quick and more economical than the 1.6 focii I was looking at

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365279523' post='2037671']
Well here's my reasoning, Genz vertical 2x12 cab with Mackie desk in its oversized box lengthways with the front seat in its normal position, double bass with the scroll between the seats but not in my way at all when driving, just blocks the armrest, hiscox case with a Ray5 inside looks lost, double bass stand, rucksack and there is a gig skinz case hiding behind it with the Genz 9.2max head and pedal board inside. There is room behind the drivers seat still, enough to get the lighting rig in at least and the seat is set for me at over 6 foot tall, still gaps in the back. Some Focii have a deeper boot as this one has a full size wide wheel and a big foam surround as the space saver won't fit this model of focus, in a way its better as it makes a nice flat load area now. I thought about the estate version but well not really an issue even if you had 2 4x10s rather than a 2x12 and double bass!

I have seen comments about bass bashes looking more like a Ford Focus gathering so pics or it didnt happen etc....

[/quote]I think you've answered you're own question SP - cavernous enough for all practical purposes :D . BTW surely it's Focuses not Focii ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365351267' post='2038366']
I wonder if Ford would make a limited edition for musicians (I presume other musicians like them?) Or a Mark King model with loose wheelnuts that make a clacking sound over all the potholes, a 3 tone sunburst paintjob or maybe a Fender model or something!
[/quote]

Would an insurance company accept minor accident damage as "relicing" in that case? :unsure:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365353324' post='2038416']
Good point, some twat ran a key down all the cars outside the jam I went to on Friday, ours included, road worn! If I catch the w***er that did it his face will match!
[/quote]
Ouch not good. Why do people feel the need?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1365353324' post='2038416']
Good point, some twat ran a key down all the cars outside the jam I went to on Friday, ours included, road worn! If I catch the w***er that did it his face will match![/quote]

Had that done to me in a police owned car park in Blackpool right next to the main Fylde Coast HO & underneath a CCTV camera cluster by a driver who left a note on my windscreen who said I'd parked too close - I was there before him!
Police said it was my word against his that he'd done it since their CCTV wasn't working at the time due to cuts!

Edited by Big_Stu