Why become a member? ×

Custom Paint Work

Clarky72

Where are you?? Terry Chapman (luthier) in Stevenage is very good but is doing more luthiering, less spraying...I'm sure that he would consider it when he's spraying next.

www.tjcguitars.com.

I think Lozz196 had some work done fairly recently...

At the middle/lower end of a techs rate that works out at about 10 hours work. The black stripes look like they're masks rather than sprayed so I think you'll do well to find an established pro that would do it for less.

There was a guy on here a few months ago who was setting up as a custom guitar artist & looking for test-bed jobs to demo his work on; maybe someone will remember his name?

Swirling in White Enamel Paints and maybe black.. (Im not one to talk about this as i SUCK at respray work) but i was thinking Warmish Day and warm water in a BIN, put in some black and white paints (enamel i believe attaches well) get a Kabab stick and wooosh it up a bit and dip in, Personaly i suggest a slow turning of the guitar.

But i would suggest TRYING THIS out on a bit of wood, and the other thing is to put a Varnish or Laquer coat on top (i forget what the difference is between the two, they both send me high)

I have had a chap called Paul Neild down the West Country refinish a couple of basses for me, he is here - [email protected]
He did some work for me following me buying a P bass body from him off evil bay.
I asked him if he could refinish a '74 P bass I'd bought in a dreadful state - stripped and scratch plate-less. He did this for £95 including stripping the nasty varnish, filling the various extra routs and giving it a nice aged sunburst nitro finish to match the original in the neck pocket.
Great job, quick turnover and nice chap to deal with. I'm hoping to make a thread of the restoration at some point.
Hope this helps and if you decide to deal with him tell him I sent you! :)
Before and after attached.

Edited by ash

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1364930502' post='2032947']
That`s a great job and price. Even factoring in shipping both ways, it`s a bargain.
[/quote]

Yes I'm really pleased with it, watch out for a thread about the restoration of the Precision soon.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1364937688' post='2033119']
Thanks Ash, I've just mailed Paul.
[/quote]

Good call! :)

• 1 month later...

So - that P restoration thread?
[quote name='ash' timestamp='1364939273' post='2033177']
Yes I'm really pleased with it, watch out for a thread about the restoration of the Precision soon.

Good call! :)
[/quote]